Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Something to note that I didn't see in here(might have missed) is that Void Surge prioritizes the farthest target not one of the farthest targets. We always just have a hunter stand farthest away and then even if it does go through it doesn't matter since it is just the mages that can't have it.
    I am Çhubathingy of [A]<Royal Militia> on KT - Former top 20US raider.

Regarding the recommendations here it seems you have to find the best way for yourself.
    I'm an enhancement shaman and i usually use the grounding totem ~1 sec before the cast goes off. I just watch the timer and my weakaura for this when it shows up and move a bit towards the soak grp and place it there. Tried many times to project it to the grp, but that almost never worked for me.

And something that is worth to note: when one of the big adds die, there is a kind of reset on his abilities and my DBM timers are incorrect for the next 2 or 3 casts of voidsurge. Its also possible that he casts it before you can use the totem again thats why i used the glyph in the later trys.

And are you sure the totem can soak the imp casts? It should be impossible because the casts have no target, they cast in on the ground and can be stopped by players who stay in its path. Also my totem never got destroyed when i failed to soak the voidsurge, it always lasted the full duration even when some imp casts were successful.