Help with stats homework! Inferences about population parameters

1. ProCare Industries Ltd. Provided a product called "Gender Choice," which, according to advertising claims, allowed couples to increase chances of having a baby girl. Suppose we conduct an experiment with 100 couples who want to have baby girls, and they all use this product. 40 of them had girls. Does this product help couples have more chance of having a baby girl? Do a hypothesis test! a=0.05

A: State null hypothesis
    B: Calculate test statistic
    C: What is your statistical conclusion based on the test statistic obtained part (b)?
    D: Explain your results to people who don't know statistics.

For this I got Ho: u=0.5 and H1>0.5

Z= -2 < 1.645

And I Failed to reject Ho, but that just does not seem right to me.

2. The average weight of cans of soup is reportedly 15oz. but you believe it might actually be more. You would like to determine with some degree of certainty if the company is telling the truth. You are a high school student and can only afford twelve cans. The weights in ounces of the contents of the twelve are below: (assume they follow a Normal distribution)

15.15, 15.05, 15.03, 14.93, 15.06, 15.05, 15.01, 15.03, 15.03, 15.02, 14.99, 15.01

perform a t-test by choosing a=0.01

A: State null hypothesis
    B: Even for small samples from a Normal distribution, if the company is telling the truth, t0=xbar-u0/s/squaeroot of n has a t-distribution with n-1 degrees of freedom. Calculate t0. To save your time, I have calculated the sample standard deviation for you: s=0.0405

C: What is your statistical conclusion based on the test statistic obtained part (b)?
    D: Explain your results to people who don't know statistics.

I don't get this one at all.
    Last edited by Snakeseye0; 2015-11-10 at 01:07 AM.

Ask your prof. Don't think there are many baysean people on these forums, but I could be wrong.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you did a chunk of your work already, so I'm not going to close this.

Mod reminder: We don't allow threads where you just answer OP's homework for them. Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Looks like you did a chunk of your work already, so I'm not going to close this.

Mod reminder: We don't allow threads where you just answer OP's homework for them. Don't do that.
    Baysean stats isn't that common anyway, they're not likely to get much help. I would, if I remembered enough, but I don't. I don't have any use for it, as most people just worry about p-values.