Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Starting Point for a Build?

Hey, I've been sick of my current PC's long loading screens and I decided to start thinking about building a new PC. My newest component to my current PC is my video card
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R7 260X 100366-2L 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card
    So I want to reuse this, but it is probably the only part worth carrying over.

So I was thinking about something in the dolphin range here:

mmo-champion.com/content/5211-Addon-Flash-Taskbar-GW2-Reaches-7-Million-Accounts-Setup-of-the-Month-DLC

Is this still relevant at all?
    Thanks in advance.

P.s. Sorry about the awkward link/info about video card (newly registered account issues).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No problem with the new account.

So, I take it your budget is about $750~? Because we'll suggest much better builds than Dolphin, especially if you want to roll over with that GPU.

If you wouldn't mind, what is your current build?

Also, do you need a Windows OS? What about peripherals?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yea around that budget area is what I'm looking for.

My current PC has an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor 3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, and a 300 GB hard-drive (which is almost full..), running 64 bit Windows 7.

I think I will need an OS, but I am unsure what to use. I've heard some not so great things about Windows 10, so I was thinking maybe something before that? Nothing really set in stone though..
    I have a 1600x900 Acer monitor that's doing the job well enough I suppose. And I've been considering upgrading from my basic Logitech keyboard/mouse.

Basically I got this computer from my old roommate and he built it probably around 6-7 years ago.

My new pc will primarily be used for raiding on wow (mythic) and some other run of the mill stuff occasionally (Fallout, Overwatch, etc).
    Last edited by Schwarm; 2015-11-17 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    Around that budget after rebates you can get a good rig. I got an ssd there, you may get an hdd for storage later if you need it or re-use then one you already got. O/s and games will go into the ssd. Hdd just for storage, movies, music etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $776.82
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-17 06:24 EST-0500

edit: in case you ask, this is far better than the dolphin in your link, its closer to narwhal setup.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-11-17 at 11:30 AM.

Yea, I doubt that will be enough storage, I don't store any music/movies on my computer.

So is Windows 10 worth using?
    Last edited by Schwarm; 2015-11-17 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarm View Post
    Yea, I doubt that will be enough storage, I don't store any music/movies on my computer.

So is Windows 10 worth using?
    Wait... you do or don't store movies/music on your computer? Because what you just said makes no sense.
    "A flower.

I don't store any of that stuff, but I need more for games I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    250GB is more than you probably think it is.

It's good enough for a lotttt of games.

Though, what games do you actively play right now?
    "A flower.

I have 300GB right now and I've been close to full, today I deleted some old games I don't play but now I only have 55GB free. I actively play Wow, Hots, SC2, Hearthstone, and Fallout New Vegas (adding Fallout 4 soon). I have some games that were a pain to download or something and I could probably get rid of them, but haven't really needed to yet. Idk it just seemed like 300 or even 250GB is kinda low for 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take whatever drive you have in your computer now and use it as an extra one alongside the SSD.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Yes what Deltrus said, you won't regret it. A couple months later drop 50$ get a 1tb hdd and you're done if you can't right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    250GB is more than you probably think it is.

It's good enough for a lotttt of games.

Though, what games do you actively play right now?
    OT but you and me have a different idea of a lot, I got 6 games on my SSD for around 180GB, not what I call a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    OT but you and me have a different idea of a lot, I got 6 games on my SSD for around 180GB, not what I call a lot
    I suppose, but still, think about how many games you truly play.

Say within the last week or two. Those are the ones that should have priority on SSD space.

Now if you're like me and have multiple large SSDs, who cares, but if you have a fresh build on the other hand... different story.
    "A flower.

Since I'm not that experienced with this stuff, is the build that Kostattoo posted compatible with my current video card? I never know how to tell with that stuff lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, most if not all modern computer equipment is compatible for like the last 8 years. XD That is, GPUs having a proper slot on a motherboard. Pretty much all motherboards in the past several years have come standard with at least one PCI-Express lane.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have Windows installed at a 320GB drive at this computer along with all the programs and I have 230GBs free at it...

Believe them OP, a 250GB SSD for the OS and programs + 300GB hard drive for storage and games will work fine enough until you can buy a 1 or 2TB HD.

- - - Updated - - -

About the Windows 10 question, just go with it. It's better.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I suppose, but still, think about how many games you truly play.

Say within the last week or two. Those are the ones that should have priority on SSD space.

Now if you're like me and have multiple large SSDs, who cares, but if you have a fresh build on the other hand... different story.
    That does not work for everyone. I typically keep 10-15 games installed on my PC at a time. I play one for a few days, get stuck or get bored then play another for a few days. If I only kept a handful of games installed on my SSD, I would have to be uninstalling and re-installing games all the time.

I still have really mixed feelings about my SSD. I don't exactly regret it, as it's fun to show off sometimes when people come over that don't know what an SSD is. They are floored by how fast it boots. Once the novelty of that wore off though, it's just kinda meh. I mean, in FFXIV, my wife and I can start at the same time and we load in at the same time. Mine is on SSD and hers is not, so I don't really see a benefit in loading times there. In other games I do, but it's not like it's saving me hours every day, not even minutes really. A few seconds at best. All in all, I'd still be fine if I did not have it.

Long story short, it's still a luxury really.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, speed is a luxury. There's no hard benefit of SSDs other than speed. Unless you consider mildly less power-draw and less heat a benefit.

Also, I have a good feeling FFXIV is better coded (read: newer coding) so it's going to load in more evenly. There's so much shit going on with WoW, I can understand why there's usually a more notable difference.

Personally, I could never go back to a HDD-booting computer. Google Chrome is faster by a long shot on this computer, and that's not just because of my CPU and RAM. SSDs are a luxury... for people with a budget around $700+, I'd say.
    "A flower.

Ok what about fans? I definitely hate the idea of it overheating..

10+ Year Old Account
    2 intake fans 1 out. Really don't need much more...
    "A flower.