Want to Upgrade to Smaller Case

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in moving the innards of my current computer into a smaller form factor, and while doing so, making a few upgrades. I'm really terrible at cable management and the last time I built my computer I had a lot more free time than I currently have, so I was wondering if you kind folk would recommend a way to get my current components into an already-built shell...maybe just buy a computer that has what I want and I drop in what I have? I'll take your recommendations.

Budget: $600-800
    Resolution: Full HD preferable (1920 x 1080)
    Games/Settings: I want it to be able to play MMO's without any hiccups. SWTOR, WoW, Wildstar, etc.

Parts that can be reused:
    2x SSD's (not on my computer, don't remember what they are specifically) currently with all of my stuff on it. Can I drop those in a new shell and just pick up where I left off, or would I have to wipe them?
    EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760

No peripherals needed, I have a brand new monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

No OS needed if I can just drop in my SSD's. If it doesn't work that way, I cannot for the life of me remember where I put my copy of windows, so I might need one.

A new processor and a smaller case is I guess the biggest thrust of this, since the other major (pricey) components I think I could reuse.

Thanks again for any help you guys can provide!

Deleted
    You will need to setup windows again cause they are tied up to the mobo. So you can't just drop the ssd's into another rig and expect it to work. It can happen, i've seen it but its like 1% chance. When you say small factor what do you exactly mean, micro or mini?

The gtx 760 is still a decent gpu, not awesome but rather ok for 1080p. You'd have to drop a good amount of money to get a better card that would worth the money, like an r9 390.

Without ssd's and gpu but including o/s have a look at the following. Case can be swapped to fit your personal taste ofc, just remember the more compact it guess the more restrictions you have. Like smaller gpu's etc:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($253.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $702.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-17 13:33 EST-0500
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-11-17 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks so much for your help.

Not a huge deal having to reinstall Windows.

As far as a small form factor, I don't mind it being a regular normal size, but my current tower is simply ENORMOUS, I think it's 22x22x10. Just too much, I just moved and I'm having such an impossible time finding a nice desk that can contain that beast...

So, questions:
    1) I build my current rig, but it took forever because I was so nervous about breaking something and my cable management is just abysmal. Is buying a computer with the processor I want, and then just dropping in the components I have, a plausibility?
    2) Any huge difference on 8gb vs. 16gb?
    3) I have my current Proc OC'd. How good is this CPU/MoBo combo for OCing? Nothing crazy, maybe 4.3-4.5.

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    You will need to setup windows again cause they are tied up to the mobo. So you can't just drop the ssd's into another rig and expect it to work. It can happen, i've seen it but its like 1% chance.
    You can call M$ and request a new Windows Key claiming you changed Motherboards, and at least every time I have they gave me a new key to use. Of the 3 times I've upgraded my PC , twice I had to provide proof of purchase of said key though. It can be a grueling process but saves some money if you don't want to repurchase a key if it doesn't work swapping SSD onto new MB.

To the OP, a case I recommend and recently built a new PC with is the Corsair Carbide Air 540. It has a ton of room for cables on the drive side.

A few pics of my build for reference:
    Last edited by Khalus; 2015-11-17 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JLima2 View Post
    1) I build my current rig, but it took forever because I was so nervous about breaking something and my cable management is just abysmal. Is buying a computer with the processor I want, and then just dropping in the components I have, a plausibility?
    3) I have my current Proc OC'd. How good is this CPU/MoBo combo for OCing? Nothing crazy, maybe 4.3-4.5.

Thanks again!!!
    1) Your best bet at that point would be to go to a local shop and either purchase a CPU/Cooler/Motherboard/Case and have them assemble it, or purchase it online and pay them to assemble it. At that point, you could just move over your PSU/RAM/GPU/HDDs/Optical Drives, which sounds like what you are asking for.

If you are gonna be moving all that over anyway, why not just put the CPU on the motherboard yourself and put it in the case?

2) For gaming, currently, not really. It's starting to become more standard and RAM is kinda cheap so if it's in the budget, no reason not to grab 16GB. With a single 8GB stick now, since running dual channel really has no noticeable effects anyway, you can always drop in another 8GB stick if it's not enough.

3) Depending on silicon lottery of course, that setup should have no problems reaching a OC of 4.6-4.8.

I'll let others suggest parts. There are no shortage of people around here willing to help with that.

I'll just ask: You seem to have decided that you need a processor upgrade (which usually causes a motherboard upgrade). This is correct? I don't think you said what your current proc / MB is. It might be good enough... but if you have decided that you need or want an upgrade, it's irrelevant.

I'll address what seems to be the crux of your issue:

Cable management is hard. My first build was awful, but my second build was lightyears better. Still nowhere near the super clean cases that I see pictured here, but easily 3 times better. All it took for my second build was knowing that I had a cable management issue, and focusing on it. Now that you're not as scared of the build... a couple google videos and some focused effort... you'd be surprised how much better you can do. Otherwise, what other people said. See if you can find a store willing to build it for you.

Should you be willing to give it a go, or want to be helpful to your store, 2 main things for cable management:

A modular PSU. This way you only plug in the cables that you need. It's infinitely harder when you have 50 cables coming out of your PSU that you don't even need.

A good case. Lots of cutouts on the motherboard tray for routing cables. Super cheap cases have absolutely none. There's nothing you can do when your only choice is to throw the whole mess of cables in front. Really easy cases even have a little "flare" on the side to help you route cables.

Also, you know that for cable management you route through the MB tray and around the other side of the case. The side you almost never open. The side you only open once to route your cables. That's how they get hidden. They're in the back. It's a SUPER stupid observation if you already knew that, but I didn't on my first build, so I mention it now.

TL/DR/Moral
    If your cpu and mb are ok, and you are willing to give it another try, you can solve this whole problem for somewhere just north of $100. (not need to reinstall windows either). If not, then have someone else do it; but still get them a nice case and a nice modular PSU. Hopefully people are suggesting easy cases and modular psu's. (I didn't look)

Edit: I just looked. You're being given a micro form factor and a modular psu. That's fine, but you said you didn't need micro, you just didn't want the full tower. I'm guessing you want a mid-tower? Still ATX form factor, which makes it a bit more convenient. (Not ragging on you mr. helper. he mentioned it after you posted your build)
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2015-11-18 at 01:44 AM.

Deleted
    but my current tower is simply ENORMOUS, I think it's 22x22x10.
    Ok then, that says alot, you got a full tower like a coolermaster HAF X. You don't really need to go itx a micro would be just fine.

So, questions:
    1) yes thats the idea, you most of the time you have to do an x amount of cable management
    2) Not a difference unless you need more. Ie in the mini itx above, that has only 2ram slots, i only put 1 ram stick there so you have the room to drop in another one if needed later on.
    3) Yes you can overclock with that, tho you may need a better cooler.

As a poster above said and should have asked myself too, what is your current pc specs? As much detailed as possible, cpu/mobo/ram/psu and cpu cooler. Its might not worth the upgrade just get a smaller case might be the case.