Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any word on soul reaper?

I've looked, but haven't seen anything regarding it's removal. Also haven't seen any confirmation it will stay. I'm hoping it will stay, the buff effect is beautiful, but I'm afraid it won't given the Blood and Unholy reworks. Also don't have, nor desire twitter so I can't ask @WarcraftDevs

People actually used it?
    "Last time I checked, Cain didn't bludgeon Abel with a Gameboy; Genghis Khan didn't have an Xbox Live account; and Hitler didn't play Crash Bandicoot." -- Tommy Tallarico

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    People actually used it?
    Uh, yes? All the time?

I hope its gone since it has always been a garbage spell and the worst execute of all classes.

Quote Originally Posted by RockmSockm View Post
    I hope its gone since it has always been a garbage spell and the worst execute of all classes.
    Nothing like having to do mental math in your head to know when to hit it early to get a chance of getting even one proc off because applying it when it's guaranteed to do the execute will result in the mob dying before it goes off.

And then being a split second too early because dps laid off too much.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTripleZero View Post
    Uh, yes? All the time?
    I see the healing use of it but i'd rather howling blast and oblit crit for a kill. I honestly never used it, never saw an actual need.
    "Last time I checked, Cain didn't bludgeon Abel with a Gameboy; Genghis Khan didn't have an Xbox Live account; and Hitler didn't play Crash Bandicoot." -- Tommy Tallarico

Quote Originally Posted by Ariyana View Post
    Nothing like having to do mental math in your head to know when to hit it early to get a chance of getting even one proc off because applying it when it's guaranteed to do the execute will result in the mob dying before it goes off.

And then being a split second too early because dps laid off too much.
    Sorry but a dispellable time delayed execute was stupid from the moment it was designed. Maybe they fixed the dispell part /shrug.

Time delayed fits a theme more for like a tinkerer bomb or hell even a hunter trap...not a death knight execute.

To the OP they have stated that Shadow Word: Death is the only other execute...besides execute itself. Personally im happy for this I never liked Soul Reaper.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    I see the healing use of it but i'd rather howling blast and oblit crit for a kill. I honestly never used it, never saw an actual need.
    Soul reaper doesn't heal you and is easily our hardest hitting ability. I assume you mean PvP usage and there a well timed Soul reaper can be devastating as you can set it up so it goes off when your target drops to 35% and proceed to the kill without storng CDs or massive instant peel.

For PvE its a massive dps loss not to use it on CD once your target is below 45/35% (unholy/frost&blood) health and even the haste buff can be useful when you use it on a dying add.

Not sure if I like its mechanic all too much though as it has absolutely not advantage over instant executes and is only a bad copy of LKs version which did damage and gave him a haste buff all the time. Rather would've SR as a low CD damage CD (30sec-1min) dealing massive burst damage and give us a haste buff for some time. SO it would actually feel like you rip someones soul out and fuel yourself with it.

Personally don't know if it will stay, BB wasn't mentioned in the preview but apparently it stays, so the preview might not be much of an indication and given that they gave unholy extra emphasis on the ability now and in the past it might very well stay for one spec, could imagine it shift to frost to promote the lich king theme they essentially give frost with reforging frost mourne, remorseless winter as a damage CD etc. and the fact that Arthas in hots looks also more like a frost dk than anything else.

All around it seems like most executes get removed and the mechanic becomes more or less iconic for warriors but then again SR is conceptual a bit different than a warriors execute. It surely is no big deal if it is removed as SR involves little gameplay and isn't really engaging from a gameplay perspective. Its cool to deal more damage in the later parts of the fight as those are more often than not the most intense parts of a fight which makes that damage extra valuable but from a pure gameplay perspective I don't think I would really miss it all that much. Although I really like the idea of having a hard hitting ability ripping the soul of the enemy out.

Soul Reaper was my favourite execute. It was the toughest execute to use in PvP since you had to make sure that your target stayed below 35% and you can even pop it early and try to down your target below 35% for some extra damage. The problems with it though were that it could be dispelled easily and that it's damage wasn't high enough for such an Execute that isn't just "Use this spell when target is under X% to deal massive damage".

I hope that we keep it for Unholy at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at most executes going away, it wouldn't be a surprise if it's gone following their design logic.

I hate everything about Soul Reaper but I accept that some may like it. Hopefully that makes it a really great candidate to be a an optional talent.

Optional talent would be cool. If I'm not mistaken though didn't frost have a talent where we did more damage when the enemy was sub certain %? If i recall we did, and I would personally go with that over SR if by chance those were in the same tier(assuming we even get one or both)

They said Execute and Shadow Word: Death are the only two executes remaining in the game. So it's probably out.

Confirmed removed by the datamining it seems

removed and not missed

I don't know what there is to hate about Soul Reaper? You press a button at 45%/35% HP and it does damage. If you're using it correctly (how could you not?) it's a rather significant portion of your DPS, especially for Unholy. Sometime #2 and #3 on your damage meter. How is that bad or not useful? So you're missing out on significant damage...why? If you think it's bad because you can't manage runes correctly or you're not good at telling when 45%/35% HP is, get an addon.
    Last edited by Skullknight; 2015-11-21 at 05:40 AM.

Im not sorry to see it gone.

The 5 second delay is awful. Other executes at least allow you to see the number it hits for immediately. On top of that, its almost completely useless in dungeons and annoying to use on raid trash. And personally...I think it waters down our damage. Take Unholy for example. Its incredibly difficult to have a "pets and diseases" theme if 8-12% of our damage has to come from execute. With Soul Reaper gone, they can bump up the power of our diseases and pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullknight View Post
    I don't know what there is to hate about Soul Reaper? You press a button at 45%/35% HP and it does damage. If you're using it correctly (how could you not?) it's a rather significant portion of your DPS, especially for Unholy. Sometime #2 and #3 on your damage meter. How is that bad or not useful? So you're missing out on significant damage...why? If you think it's bad because you can't manage runes correctly or you're not good at telling when 45%/35% HP is, get an addon.
    It's boring and the delay mechanic is unintuitive, pointless, unsatisfying and not engaging. In comparison Execute makes a beefy noise, you see a possibly large crit number and know you just wrecked that mob/boss when pushing that button. Soul Reaper was the opposite.

And Unholys damage mainly coming from an execute move is ridiculous in terms of spec fantasy.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2015-11-21 at 07:21 AM.

i didnt really NOT like it, but i wont miss it really lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.