How limiting/important is the CPU and when will I have to upgrade mine?

I'll start off by saying that while I do know how to use a PC decently when it comes to Hardware I'm as knowledgeable as I was some 10 years ago. Which is to say, not at all.

Now, I specifically ask this in the context of games. I know a good build can be used for a variety of things, but I am only interested in playing games at high quality.

1080p monitor

My CPU is an Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 GHz

I've 8 GB of RAM, which I assume matters less with what I ask

and a Nvidia GTX 960

I can currently run most games on Ultra ( Far Cry 4 runs just fine ), though Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 ( mostly due to the poor engine I'd imagine ) have given me trouble when I try to do that. Witcher 3 specifically has FPS issues in Novigrad and I usually get 40-50 in it. ( There's also the Ultra for Foliage Visibility Range but we don't talk about that ).

I guess what I'm asking is what I'd need to run TW3 on maximum? What isn't good enough? The CPU, the GPU? The CPU, at least, is from 2009 or so if I recall correctly. Do I need to change it soon? I assume games will only start looking better and better and it would be a shame for the GPU to not be able to do its job properly if held back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the CPU needs an upgrade first, for two reasons. The first being.. It's slow, even compared to other CPU's of it's era. That, paired with the fact it's now five generations old, you've got a pretty significant gap in your technology difference, on top of speed alone.

On one hand, CPU speeds/tech isn't the most important thing for most games, but does make some difference, however it's very important for MMOs. So take that into mind. Your GPU is already new, and fairly decent. If you feel you still need a bump in performance, I'd do that later.

For reference, i5-750 @ 2.67ghz, has a single thread passmark score of 1,134.
    A new (last generation) 4690K @ 3.50ghz gets a score of 2,2238, before it's overclocked to a minimum of 4.2ghz.

So, I mean, for CPU based stuff, it's literally twice as good. It's just a matter of what games you're playing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I don't know much about overclocking but doesn't it reduce the lifetime of the part?

Would OCing my current CPU somewhat bridge the gap in speed?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I don't know much about overclocking but doesn't it reduce the lifetime of the part?

For the first question.. Yes, but I had my 750 overclocked for about 3 years with almost always on. So I think you should be fine as well.

The second one, it won't be equal, nowhere near really. It will get closer, but at the same time you can overclock 4690k for almost as much in precentages(at least without liquid cooling) and the lead is even bigger by then. As to if a 750 is enough, depends on the game.. I upgraded mine for Fallout 4 as it really couldn't run Witcher 3 to my standards, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

It can reduce the lifetime of the part yes. However, when you consider that the lifetime of the part is probably 10-15 years, when you shorten that to 5-10 years, it's still starting to be slow and getting to be time for upgrade before it dies. Those numbers are probably low as well. I've had CPUs that run for a long long time.