Poll: Is the Dark Ranger fantasy satisified in Legion?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark Ranger fantasy satisfied?

With the T19 set looking like it's going to be a Sylvanas inspired set, and with Marksman essentially becoming a pet-less ranger with an option to choose a level 100 talent "Dark Ranger" to spawn skeletal minions... do you think you can effectively play a Dark Ranger in Legion?

Take a look at the talents, I'd assume a 'Dark Ranger' build would take:

• Black Arrow
    • Exotic Munitions for Frost Arrow
    • Probably a Murder of Crows
    • ...and of course 'Dark Ranger'

Deleted
    Well yes since that's why blizzard added the talents and why our tier gear is based off sylvanas as an undead hunter I am happy and because of those talents I am going to main my undead hunter for the expansion. FINALLY all those years of training with Nathanos is paying off! See Nathanos this is why the dark lady told you to train the newly resurrected hunters. :P

I am also happy that the dark ranger talent is level 100 since being a dark ranger is an "elite" kind of thing. Honestly though I had a feeling that sylvanas wanted new dark rangers since your first class trainer tells the undead PC that she wants more hunters and needs them for important events in the future and telling her champion and ranger lord to train all the new ones.

Still currently my undead hunter feels like a novice still with only black arrow, can't wait for the necromancy in the expansion.
    Last edited by mmoc1a1d7f3c08; 2015-11-23 at 09:08 PM.

Deleted
    I like it very much but I just find one thing confusing, how does a Tauren dark ranger make any sense? :P

So far I'm thinking they're on the right track. Definitely hyped to play MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queijo View Post
    I like it very much but I just find one thing confusing, how does a Tauren dark ranger make any sense? :P
    Makes no less sense than an Undead Beast Mastery Hunter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemslap View Post
    Makes no less sense than an Undead Beast Mastery Hunter.
    Indeed because I recall that living animals react violently to undead and nature magic does not exactly work for them anymore these two things Sylvanas had to contend with so she swapped them out for shadow magic via black arrow and necromancy. So the new talents make me quite happy.

Plus it's just like undead and holy priest they won't be any of them lore wise with how they are changing the trees you can justify discipline but they are all mainly shadow.
    Last edited by mmoc1a1d7f3c08; 2015-11-24 at 04:38 PM.

Deleted
    Honestly Dark Ranger could just be a type of Exotic Munitions ammo. Deals additional shadow damage on hit, summons skeletons that taunt when not in a party or raid. Basically what WC3 Black Arrow did.

I'm "hating" Hunter legion ... So many possibilities , kkkkkk
    currently my Hunter is a darkiron dwarf, explosive seemed an obvious choice ... in legion , it will be a darkiron authentic, bombs, mines(explosive traps) kkkk but ... BUT had to show the dark ranger option .. . gnome hunter and " rexxar "like.
    BAH !

My dwarf already doomed if he had the option of choosing death Knight Skin for blood elfs ,kkkkk.

Is there going to be a minor glyph that changes our appearance to look more like a dark ranger, pale skin and red eyes? Cause that would be baller.

No not really, THE dark rangers are a very select group of individuals, specifically high elven rangers who were killed and resurrected by arthas then liberated by sylvanas. Their dark powers were either from their natural affinity with undeath or granted by arthas
    So i cant imagine any old hunter deciding one day its going to create plagued arrows that ressurect the dead, its just kind of out of place, its like priests using entangling roots or something, especially considering that necromancy is a very difficult school of magic in wow that is forgotten only being used now by death knights who had that power bestowed by arthas

Id be satisfied if they created some lore behind all players being able to become a dark ranger rather than just having it tacked on like its normal, kind of undermines the uniqueness of the original dark rangers, like having the night elves learning druidism from cenarius and some dwarf comes along and just straight up turns into a bear because its fun...
    Also the idea of gnome dark rangers makes me physically sick.

That said, 2 talents does not a dark ranger make. Not going to be specific though

What i would like to see though, considering that blizz are adding this in, is whithering fire. Black arrow may be the most iconic ability, but whithering fire is definitely badass! So long as it keeps the animation of a black shadow firing a shot for you im satisfied!
    It would fit mechanically perfectly as a replacement for arcane shot (how does an arcane arrow make sense?) and would fit on either the 60 or 75 tier, could replace piercing shots..

TLDR add whithering fire and im on board, otherwise no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queijo View Post
    Yeah, actually no race makes sense other than maybe forsaken because the only dark rangers in lore are strictly high elven rangers who were killed and ressurected by arthas.
    Forsaken may get a pass if there were any bonus nathanos blightcallers out there, in other words human rangers who met the same fate, but human rangers were incredibly rare with nathanos training the new recruits

But honestly its ludicrous thinking dark ranger is a sub spec anyone can have access too, hell while we're at it how about some priestess of the moon talents or shadow hunter talents or naga sea witch talents! Dark ranger is just as, if not more exclusive than those other options!

Deleted
    I really like this but I'm probably going to have to make a second hunter (probably a Belf) as I can't really see Dark Ranger working on a Worgen.

I was also planning on making a gnome hunter, is 3 too many?

7+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. Having passive effects does not really give the impression of being half mage half hunter. A Dark Ranger should feel more like a Spellslinger from Wildstar, dark magics combined with masterful archery. Marksmanship is 98% archery 2% magic.

Deleted
    Really? When I think dark ranger I just think of a hunter who swaps out the pets and nature for necromancy. Which you can do via the talent and you have black arrow along with murder of crows. If you fight echo of sylvanas she is essentially summoning undead and using black arrow on you which explodes. Plus bloodmoth13 I think it was plain as day WHY sylvanas told nathanos of ALL people to train the new forsaken hunters.

He is the only human ranger lord and dark ranger I mean there must be a reason why she wants him of all people to train her hunters. Maybe she wants more future dark rangers? Since now there are no other elves to QQ at her about making and training more like Nathanos she got so much crap for doing that darn elves. Still what I am liking is that Blizzard are putting more themes in the talents for the playable races.

Its also stated on wowpedia "When Sylvanas Windrunner, Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, regained her physical body, she realized that the natural world would never respond to her wishes again. Angered by this development, she turned to the arts that were becoming more and more natural to her: Necromancy. She altered her elven ranger teachings into a new form. Thus, the dark rangers were born."

Its not some special power its old fashioned necromancy/shadow magic and hunter in the game as it stands does not make sense because undead hunters are not having the same issues as sylvanas. Why do you think people say that beast mastery hunter and holy priest is pure game mechanics? Unlike all the other dark rangers Nathanos would do what ever sylvanas ask's of him and if that includes training the future hunters? So be it even if he does not like it.

I am also glad that its a level 100 talent as well since as I keep saying its an elite title. When reading Nathanos text if you are a undead hunter (don't know if he says the same thing to other hunter races) its plain to me that a talent maybe coming in the future. As I said before what I like is that blizzard are inserting more themes into the talents I mean look at the farstrider talent I wonder who's that talent for?
    Last edited by mmoc1a1d7f3c08; 2015-11-26 at 12:16 PM.

I love it

the only problem is that IIRC all Dark Rangers are like Sylvanas - basically undead/Forsaken (female ?) elves (either corpses or banshees possessing corpses) .. Im not sure if Nathanos is a Dark Ranger, but I dont count him

and the only playable elves in WoW are all alive .. playable forsaken are all rotting human corpses and will never look like Dark Rangers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    I love it

the only problem is that IIRC all Dark Rangers are like Sylvanas - basically undead/Forsaken (female ?) elves (either corpses or banshees possessing corpses) .. Im not sure if Nathanos is a Dark Ranger, but I dont count him

and the only playable elves in WoW are all alive .. playable forsaken are all rotting human corpses and will never look like Dark Rangers

Nathanos is a dark ranger according to wowpedia and he is the ONLY human ranger lord lore wise he only got the title and joined because of sylvanas the elves did not want him to join because elves were being elves again. Plus I assume all the elven dark rangers are not interested in training anyone hence why I assume Sylvanas asked Nathanos.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Nathanos_Blightcaller

On the page it also notes that he summons skeletons and uses black arrows. Still as an undead hunter player I am excited.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's getting there, would be complete if we had the undead blood elf option

10+ Year Old Account
    its all well and good that the spells are being added, and while that may satisfy most people, the visual look is still needed for others. i just want more tmog added that visually looks like a dark ranger style cloak & hood. tired of having to choose the skin of some dead thing every. damn. tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

also depends on what you mean by "fantasy"

for some it is no less then a real live Sylvanas visiting them in their bed at night

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    It's getting there, would be complete if we had the undead blood elf option
    I'd bet money that it's going to be a minor glyph.