Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    in pretty much every case
    What is in this case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Actually you can charge someone with a knife pretty fast. 21 feet is the min range of when pulling out a gun will outdo a rusher with a jnife
    And if you already have guns drawn on you before you're in the danger zone?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Im not casting an opinion in favor of the police, but a knife has an effective range of about 21 feet by most instructor standards. Its greater than this if we are talking about someone who is actually in very good shape (like someone who runs to stay in shape).
    You do realize that the 21-foot rule only applies to someone who has a holstered weapon, and is caught unaware. They had guns trained on him, so in reality, his maximum effective range would have only been a few feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    In what way though? Charging a person with a knife? Throwing the knife? Both are unrealistic when someone is aiming a firearm at you
    Yes sorry, one correction, this is from the perspective of a non-drawn and holstered firearm.

The average non fat person can close 21 feet and fuck up your day with a knife before you can draw and fire.

If weapons are already drawn, then I would disregard that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You do realize that the 21-foot rule only applies to someone who has a holstered weapon, and is caught unaware. They had guns trained on him, so in reality, his maximum effective range would have only been a few feet.
    Sorry yes, I corrected myself above.

Yay another reason for the idiots to come out an cause problems. Lets see how many places gets looted an burned down this time. Chicago business owners an homeowners have no way to defend themselves either thanks to there idiotic gun control. If the kid had stopped an dropped the knife like they said he would have been alive but for some reason they think there above the law. Was it excessive absolutely but listen to police an you don't need to worry about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    If parents would teach their children to listen to the police this wouldn't have happend.

And thug culture this happens when children get raised by rap music and video games.
    How are you raised by rap music and video games? Did you think before you wrote that or is that just how you honestly feel? I listened to rap music my entire life and still do to this day at 35 years of age - It didn't stop me from obtaining a great career and certainly didn't affect my behavior.

Don't make blanket statements like that - it's stupid.

Deleted
    What if the teenager had thrown the knife like a shuriken?

Quote Originally Posted by GameFX View Post
    How are you raised by rap music and video games?
    I blame obama for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if you already have guns drawn on you before you're in the danger zone?
    Don't shoot if outside the danger zone. However if they charge after they get in danger zone, then it's legit self defense

But yeah, drawn weapons reduce that range quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Yay another reason for the idiots to come out an cause problems. Lets see how many places gets looted an burned down this time. Chicago business owners an homeowners have no way to defend themselves either thanks to there idiotic gun control. If the kid had stopped an dropped the knife like they said he would have been alive but for some reason they think there above the law. Was it excessive absolutely but listen to police an you don't need to worry about it.
    Except when listening and obeying police officers still gets people killed, which still happens all the time. Nice attempt at victim blaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    What is in this case?
    In this case the cops probably didn't need to have guns drawn, though training dictates that a knife is effective at a larger range than one would normally assume. In the victims case he shouldn't have had the knife, and should have listened to the cops. Either way the moment the cop became the bad guy was when he shot at the downed man creating excessive force.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not casting an opinion in favor of the police, but a knife has an effective range of about 21 feet by most instructor standards.
    That's if the officer is flat-footed and has not drawn their firearm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    In this case the cops probably didn't need to have guns drawn, though training dictates that a knife is effective at a larger range than one would normally assume. In the victims case he shouldn't have had the knife, and should have listened to the cops. Either way the moment the cop became the bad guy was when he shot at the downed man creating excessive force.
    If your police gives american teenagers less lenenciey than you tell your soldiers to give children in
    falluja maybe you have a problem?

Don't shoot if outside the danger zone. However if they charge after they get in danger zone, then it's legit self defense
    Well regardless of blame, if he hadn't gone out that day deciding to carry a knife open handedly while walking in the middle of a street he'd still be alive.

This is what we call "When assholes collide".

Asshole cop meets dumbass punk.

I understand and accept the charges against the officer, but at the end of the day my "give a fuck-o-meter" for the guy who got shot registers zero. I'll save my anger for people who get shot by police for having no weapon and sitting in a chair doing nothing. Or like the asshole cop who got the dude recently who was having car trouble, was out of uniform, off duty, and in an unmarked car when he approached him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's if the officer is flat-footed and has not drawn their firearm.
    Yes I corrected myself.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-11-25 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand though. Why are tasers seemingly never used anymore? A taser would have dropped the kid 99/100 times. Unless you subscribe to the idea that african americans are somehow superhuman and aren't phased by thousands of volts of electricity surging through their body

10+ Year Old Account
    Well regardless of blame, if he hadn't gone out that day deciding to carry a knife open handedly while walking in the middle of a street he'd still be alive.

This is what we call "When assholes collide".

Asshole cop meets asshole punk.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I corrected myself.
    Doesn't absolve the cop of being the worse of the 2 here. Cops don't get to be criminals just because they encounter a criminal.

Doesn't absolve the cop of being the worse of the 2 here. Cops don't get to be criminals just because they encounter a criminal.
    Did not say it did (I edited my post to further clarify this). Two assholes collided, one is dead, and one goes to jail. I won't lose any sleep.

I'm just saying sympathy for the dearly departed is about negative zero.

Seems a bit iffy either way. The fact the suspect didn't disarm himself and instead continued to move around with the weapon makes me lean towards the cops having a valid shooting... but I don't know even I see that as being kind of trigger happy should he be charged? No I don't think so the cops safety comes first the suspect had a drawn knife close enough that if he ran and lunged he could of been a threat to the offer.

Its a shitty situation I think the cops reaction wasn't justified but I can easily see a case made for the shooting. I really don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Titan308

I don't believe the kid was in his 'right' mind per se because of the PCP that was found in his system. Probably still wasn't an upstanding kid nonetheless - Still I felt more could have been done to deescalate the situation than a shoot out with a kid holding a knife not charging nor attacking them.

I don't understand though. Why are tasers seemingly never used anymore? A taser would have dropped the kid 99/100 times. Unless you subscribe to the idea that african americans are somehow superhuman and aren't phased by thousands of volts of electricity surging through their body
    I suspect in this case this may be why the charges were warranted.

Then again a taser is mainly deployed when a deadly weapon is not in play, regardless of distance. Unlike a gun, you only get one shot with a taser. Depending on clothing worn, the barbs may not make it through a jacket at all. Then you are really fucked because the 21 foot rule comes into play.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ever since that guy said "don't taze me bro," the cops listened and now they just shot.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump