Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by omega8 View Post
    who cares about Li-FI if you have fiber optic cable?
    /facepalm

Wi-Fi / Li-Fi is for local networks...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    /facepalm

Wi-Fi / Li-Fi is for local networks...
    Hey.... I ran fiber optic for my local network for awhile.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow the "Li-Fi" emblem is associated with "no life" in my mind... That's a bad sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I am not too deep into science behind Wi-Fi or Internet Connections in general, but wouldn't this kind of thing have pretty high packet loss due to the way it travels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Hey Look! New, faster, better technology we will never get because we spend all our money on bombs to kill brown people!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
    Goddamn internet service providers and their bombs.... Oh wait.

A lot of people seem to have trouble grasping just how impractical this technology is. You get the huge speeds by having a direct line of sight between the transmitter/receiver so instead of avoiding network cables in your living room, you have to avoid crossing these light transmission lines. Failure to do so will kill the connection completely (where as stepping on a regular cable won't).

Oh wait, yes, direct line of sight isn't necessary: it can work off of reflected light (from walls). At 70 fucking-wooptidoo-megabits per second. Which would've been impressive about 10 years ago. For Wi-Fi.

Should you still feel like setting up a living room where you have to maneuver like in a bank vault with laser tripping wires, you're not gonna get a consumer line to your building which could saturate even a fraction of your local network. Makes more sense to build a 10Gb LAN in a home in some rural area where the best internet connection you can get is some shitty ADSL.

So I bought a movie on Amazon and I was almost done downloading it but a moth flew in front of my LI-FI!!!

cool, except if you put something on the light receptor, or if you burn the lightbulb somewhere, or if you have strong other light source (omg, the sun will hack us §§) and i dont know how our epyleptics friend will see this almost other things