Page 1 of 2
LastLast

American Justice System

Why does the american justice system revolve around and depend on money?

Because it's an institution that exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this country was founded by propertied individuals largely looking to protect their personal interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    because america is a crony capitalist country run and funded by corporations. the people lost to the corporations decades ago they just haven't figured it out yet.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Can you give an example?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Those without money and established things are more likely not to follow conditions or skip out. Will the man with a house, job and money jump bond as quickly as the guy with $50 who has no fixed address

Capitalism is long gone in America. There is only corporatism, lobbyists and big money involved in literally everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people have grown to honestly not give a fuck about one another, and view looking good as the same as being good or a good person.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Why isn't europe a Utopian society?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thabris View Post
    Why isn't europe a Utopian society?
    Different set of issues.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Those without money and established things are more likely not to follow conditions or skip out. Will the man with a house, job and money jump bond as quickly as the guy with $50 who has no fixed address
    When your talking about bond, you also have to look at criminal history and the likely hood if released on bond will re-offend threatening the safety of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Different set of issues.
    Can you name them? If we're just doing nation bashing under the guise of "omg I'm just asking an innocent question you guys", can I ask about europe's issues? Can europeans even admit their countries have issues?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you name them? If we're just doing nation bashing under the guise of "omg I'm just asking an innocent question you guys", can I ask about europe's issues? Can europeans even admit their countries have issues?
    Europe's issues have to do with the fact that it's attempting to play a half-assed game of federation and the fact there are significant wealth disparities between Europe proper and the peripheral states.

Ahahahahhhahaha justice. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Europe's issues have to do with the fact that it's attempting to play a half-assed game of federation and the fact there are significant wealth disparities between Europe proper and the peripheral states.
    Got anything other than that softball? I'm looking for something more akin to the OP's post. According to your earlier post, you live in the U.S., are you really qualified to classify europe's issues?

10+ Year Old Account
    you honestly going to claim the states aren't all about corporatism? hundreds of millions of dollars in state funding going to corporate interests in various states by their respective governers meanwhile the people get more and more taken away from them and increasingly left to fend for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Got anything other than that softball? I'm looking for something more akin to the OP's post. According to your earlier post, you live in the U.S., are you really qualified to classify europe's issues?
    you don't need to particularly live in a given area to be read up and knowledgeable about a given area's problems. there are ways of compiling and disseminating information in the 21st century that don't require the person to actually be there.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    No these people can't. All they know what do to do here is bitch about America 25/8, no of them seem to have a backbone to talk about their issues and only love to bash a country 90% of them do not live in. They believe EVERYTHING they read on the internet. They have nothing better to do than sit on MMO-champion all day if you look at most of these peoples posts.
    Last edited by Belime; 2015-11-26 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you honestly going to claim the states aren't all about corporatism? hundreds of millions of dollars in state funding going to corporate interests in various states by their respective governers meanwhile the people get more and more taken away from them and increasingly left to fend for themselves.
    Where in my post that you quoted did I specifically deny anything? Can you follow a logical train of thought?

The only thing "implied" was that other countries around the world have issues and that this is a thinly veiled nation bashing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you don't need to particularly live in a given area to be read up and knowledgeable about a given area's problems. there are ways of compiling and disseminating information in the 21st century that don't require the person to actually be there.
    Agreed. What's the deal with european healthcare? I heard someone say it sucks, and I heard some other Americans say it sucks. Therefore, it sucks.
    Last edited by thabris; 2015-11-26 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Because rainbows and sunshine doesnt get the job done. Is there an actual point to this silly question?

The conception of attorney or even judges being elected is fairly unique to our American friends, and IMO, that's the golden way for miscarriage of justice.

For instance, do you find it normal that prosecutors/judges that are not seeking a new mandate are usually far less trigger happy with the death penalty than ones seeking reelection ?