Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Demon Hunter Solo Thread Mk 1

NOTICE:
    Thread to be locked, updated thread to be found here: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...k-2?p=49591984

Demon Hunter Solo Thread

Hello boys and gurls.

In keeping with the time tradition of Druids, DK's, Monks and Paladins (and the occasional Warrior who is far more gutsy than I am), and how Vengence gameplay seems to be working in the current Beta Build which is a 50/50 blend of self heals and passive/active defense in the form of parries and damage reduction, Demon Hunter soloing seems to be possible (pre Blizzcon it.. really wasn't).

Please remember guys, when posting your kills, screenshots are really necessary, or even a link to your armory so we can check the killfeed (although that in no way guarantees its a solo, you will most likely still be questioned). Kill videos are good too, but by no means necessary. Just make sure you're standing next to the corpse and you're alone/in a raid group with offline people.

Vengeance

Link to Spreadsheet containing kill list:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Use this document put together by Munkky if you need help learning how to play Vengence, since that's what you should be soloing in except for rare circumstances that haven't really existed since early Cata/late Wrath. TYVM Blizzard.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...g-TCnYCSo/edit:

Havoc

If there is an interest in Havoc soloing, however, here is a link to a similar spreadsheet for that spec:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1900682239

Layout for spreadsheet designs go to Mionelol from the DK Solo Thread.

Every boss prior to Mists of Pandaria is automatically considered killed, as every other class has done it thus far, and nothing mechanically of Demon Hunters allows them to be any different. They're all oneshots anyway. TYVM stat squish.
    Last edited by JimSolo; 2018-06-19 at 01:32 PM.
    "It's those tears of rage making it harder for you to see." - Warstar [March 2016]
    Soloing Discord
    DH

7+ Year Old Account
    To early... we are not prepared! (yet)

@LuthWoW - Signature by Reignisevil

Deleted
    I believe female blood elves DH are prepared. At least they claim they are.

/flirt

One can never be too eager. Plus, if they change DH's hybridness too much between now and release, we have an entire thread where we can complain to blizzard about how they're anti solo and have been since MoP. QQ threads ftw.

That said, the moment I get a beta key, I'm headed straight to a training dummy to learn the rotation, then to a raid. DKs are destroyed, DHs look to be my main source of enjoyment for Legion, if I do return to the game. So while I have nothing to do game wise, might as well get this thread setup.

And let's be honest. There was going to be one crop up at some point.
    "It's those tears of rage making it harder for you to see." - Warstar [March 2016]
    Soloing Discord
    DH

Now that Alpha is out I'm presuming someone at some point will have gone and done previous raids as Havoc, so officially I can mark off all raids up to Cata as having been completed.

If anyone wants to go and drop some MoP bosses for completions sake, feel free. I don't have an alpha key or I'd do it myself. A monkey could kill every boss in mop up until Mythic SoO as Havoc at level 102+ so don't feel like it'll be anything to worry about. Will be good to start marking off the spreadsheet. Once beta comes around or vengence is released, Draenor bosses will start to drop like flies.

EDIT: Would be good if you could put a picture in for any WoD bosses that drop. MoP stuff dosn't matter, just say so.
    Last edited by JimSolo; 2015-12-05 at 07:53 AM.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

I do wonder how good they will be, will definitely try and solo some stuff if I get beta. also predictions for strong soloers in Legion.

Prot Pally with focus on their self heal AM
    Guardian druids once geared for high mastery meaning high self heals.

DK and Monk shouldn't be crazy different, should still be pretty solid, monks are losing guard expel harm so have to see how their healing orbs play out. DK with bloodworms and some new stuff may have even more survival.

edit: highmaul is listed as 10N 10H 25N instead of Normal Heroic Mythic
    Last edited by enak101; 2015-12-05 at 08:54 AM.

Fixed. The spreadsheet is a WIP so expect a few derp moments.

I have a feeling DH will be strong soloers as each aspect of defense seems to have a counter. Magic and physical. As well as passive defense and hyrbidity. In addition, for fights that are low on survivability but high on dps requirements, the spec currently allows you to give up heals to a higher dps rotation, something no other spec besides druid is able to do.

Plus, it's almost a guarantee that for at least one patch they will be FOTM, as monks were during 5.0 - 5.2. So lots of interesting and fun things may happen.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

I really hope Demon Hunters work out well. They look like a class that could require really skilled playing to pull off well which would be great. But if they are a little bit easy to play and master, I will be disapointed.

Soloing old fights that take some skill, and many attempts on a DH would provide so much fun during the times of the week where there isn't much else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    I really hope Demon Hunters work out well. They look like a class that could require really skilled playing to pull off well which would be great.
    What gives you that impression?

The 2 button rotation? The zero utility spells other than an interrupt? Yeah, really really skillful.

5 button rotation based on DPS or emergency HPS. Another few o. Plus the 3 sigils which give utility. Although you're right, not much.

Utility dosn't really matter for soloing. Since fights are getting more and more hamoginised to cater for casual players the need to improvise and come up with stupid strats to kill a boss is less and less.

Mechanically the class is kind of boring and static, and, like most class changes, caters to casuals. I'm hoping vengeance artifact trees change that. I'd like to see a dot or some good class proc timings in place, even if they're by choice from talents.

The main interest for vengeance in terms of soloing so far comes from its capability. The ability sacrifice hps for dps and visa versa, and the amount of defensives and mobility mean we can work out way around a lot of mechanisms and push our passive survivability to the max while doing the same with a dps rotation.
    Last edited by JimSolo; 2015-12-05 at 04:53 PM.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

I still think 'simple' fights can sometimes be complex to solo, and even though we've seen a slight shift recently fights seemed to be getting more and more mechanics and such, I wouldn't say utility doesn't matter, look at how often something like monk statue gets used. I do agree DH will probably be good at soloing though but it will come down to numbers tuning a lot in the end.

At the end of the day, it always does. One fight maybe in an entire raid is mechanically built in such a way that it requires skill to solo. 80% of fights are DPS races where you just soak all boss abilities. Sha of Fear for example during 5.1/5.2. Run around in circles and see how much you can crit.

Or alternativly use a cheatbuff and put worldfirst hashtags on your video :3

Same goes for Nuroshen, Shamans, Nazgrim, etc. I predict Gruul, Butcher, Beastlord, Kromog, Hans and Frans, and Flamebender will be the same. Survival dps balancing and that's about it. Maybe kill an add.

Gone are the days of coming up with ludicrous things and using utility to the max. (Hello ragnaros, Morchok heroic, Sinestra, garrosh)
    Last edited by JimSolo; 2015-12-06 at 10:03 AM.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSolo View Post
    At the end of the day, it always does. One fight maybe in an entire raid is mechanically built in such a way that it requires skill to solo.Gone are the days of coming up with ludicrous things and using utility to the max. (Hello ragnaros, Morchok heroic, Sinestra, garrosh)
    Because BoT, Firelands, and DS were totally full of interesting bosses, yes? Moreover if you're complaining about soloing not requiring ingenuity nowadays, it hardly helps your point to mention a recent boss like Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Outland View Post
    What gives you that impression?

The 2 button rotation? The zero utility spells other than an interrupt? Yeah, really really skillful.
    Hey we get it, DH is braindead. Get over it

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Because BoT, Firelands, and DS were totally full of interesting bosses, yes? Moreover if you're complaining about soloing not requiring ingenuity nowadays, it hardly helps your point to mention a recent boss like Garrosh.
    I could go over every boss if you'd like, though we might be here for a while. Garrosh was a welcome singularity in an otherwise sad set of raids. I don't really think there were any other bosses throughout the entire expansion that required intelligent thinking. Gara'jal perhaps, pulling trashes to give resolve in the 6.0 prepatch. Aside from that it was the same old same old. Attempt the boss when survivability is high enough, realise you need 3x the dps, wait for the next teir of raids, gear up, go back, spam a ludicrous DPS rotation, soak every mechanic, twoshot the boss.

TheGarrosh kill was fun to watch (and do a few weeks after Mionee did using the same strat). You could see the thought process behind it. Leave the shaman up, steal chain lightning, kill all the adds at once avoiding the stacking buffs. Let him transition at a critical time to maximise dps and minimize mechanical nonsense. Before that fight, it was Rag. And there was a long time in between rag and Garrosh.

EDIT: I think it's good to stress at this point the difference between soloing skill when it comes to playing, and soloing skill when it comes to thinking.

Example of insane play involve Wan's Twin Consorts and Horridon videos. As well as mionee's Elegon, conclave of wind and hagara (although that one is more personal opinion)). These are high on class management, timing, survival and dps. while mechanically the bosses are reletivly stale (elegons mechanics are okay, and hagaras are absolutely pathetic), without pinpoint knowlege of the way the classes react to the mechanics as well as management of incoming damages and DPS, they wouldn't have died until they were overgeared.

I've already mentioned the sort of fights taht required critical thinking, and that is the other side of skill to soloing. Coming up with ideas and executing them when they seem a bit bonkers and require a lot of management in and of themselves (on top of DPS/HPS). That's what makes these bosses such a joy.
    Last edited by JimSolo; 2015-12-06 at 05:14 PM.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Hey we get it, DH is braindead. Get over it
    l'm glad you agree. Now let's wait for them to stop being braindead.

In PvP I can see them being a pretty high skill class due to the mobility the class provides and the options stemming out of that mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Outland View Post
    l'm glad you agree. Now let's wait for them to stop being braindead.
    Yeah so take your advice and wait. 99% of your posts say the exact same thing with different words and it's just painful to read at this point.

Homophobia is so gay.

^ Don't worry about him. He's been threatened with reports and inadvertently chatted by a mod. He'll either fuck up or shut up soon enough.

I think Havoc PvP's skillcap won't be nearly as high as a class like rogue or monk, but those that pay attention to their apm and time their bursts with trinket procs will get some good damage out of it.

Current alpha scaling shows that in PvE havoc does 40 - 90% more damage than any other dps class across the board anyway. Obviously it won't be like that during live but, even poor DH players will get some fun out of it while they are FOTM.
    Soloing Discord
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by JimSolo View Post
    Current alpha scaling shows that in PvE havoc does 40 - 90% more damage than any other dps class across the board anyway. Obviously it won't be like that during live but, even poor DH players will get some fun out of it while they are FOTM.
    Relative damage during alpha is utterly meaningless - damage tuning doesn't happen until the very end of beta. Havoc could very easily not be OP at all come live.