Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Nvidias market share is 80% above AMD

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...deon-releases/

I honestly just found that interesting. I knew they led, but damn.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I honestly just found that interesting. I knew they led, but damn.
    Not too surprising.. It doesn't really matter that AMD is better value for money atm as someone asking might not know anything about GPUs past that you need something for a game to run. So they ask for help.. And most people still say Nvidia even when they fully know that those people asking aren't going to upgrade again till they need to.

In short.. Opinions matter. And the Internet says AMD is bad, hence it must be bad.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2015-11-05 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    In short.. Opinions matter. And the Internet says AMD is bad, hence it must be bad.
    And most of it is mostly due to falling for marketting. Or listening to bought reviewers, tech-tubers (like how LTT always recommends nVidia always, except when they are trying to get good FPS in competitions like scrapyard wars, when they basically only go for AMD, go figure) and the like.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2015-11-05 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia has good marketing. Nvidia also has money to have good marketing. Nvidia has infamous forum trolls. Nvidia payed OEMs to talk crap about AMD. Nvidia has the controversial Gameworks. Don't forget Nvidia's PhysX controversy. Is it a wonder how Nvidia is ahead of AMD when Nvidia's tactic is to just spread propaganda against AMD?

The GTX 970 which is the best graphics card right now isn't even good. First of all it's a 980 with sections cut off to make it slower, by literally laser cutting it. It literally costs Nvidia more money to retard the 980 into a 970, and while AMD does this they don't make 512MB of memory useless. For Wozniak's sake they even had the whole Ramgate fiasco over it. And right now the 390 almost always beats the 970 in benchmarks, especially 1440p and higher. If you take into account DX12, the 390 always beats the 970. And yet more people buy the 970.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Nvidia has good marketing. Nvidia also has money to have good marketing. Nvidia has infamous forum trolls. Nvidia payed OEMs to talk crap about AMD. Nvidia has the controversial Gameworks. Don't forget Nvidia's PhysX controversy. Is it a wonder how Nvidia is ahead of AMD when Nvidia's tactic is to just spread propaganda against AMD?

The GTX 970 which is the best graphics card right now isn't even good. First of all it's a 980 with sections cut off to make it slower, by literally laser cutting it. It literally costs Nvidia more money to retard the 980 into a 970, and while AMD does this they don't make 512MB of memory useless. For Wozniak's sake they even had the whole Ramgate fiasco over it. And right now the 390 almost always beats the 970 in benchmarks, especially 1440p and higher. If you take into account DX12, the 390 always beats the 970. And yet more people buy the 970.

AMD's market share has climbed up on Q3 and are expected to rise again on Q4, though no numbers have been published yet.

It's well known nVidia plays dirty games but very likely so does AMD only they have been caught less.

However nVidia is far more direct about it and as you can guess no normal person knows ANY of the atrocities commited.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    It's well known nVidia plays dirty games but very likely so does AMD only they have been caught less.
    I don't really think that is the case, I think AMD cheats a lot less. If nothing else, because they can't afford to. Either economy or public opinion being already low.
    The only thing I can remember that is remotely close to "AMD being caught cheating", must be the frame timing revelation, where one of their drivers suddenly jumped performance by 30% across the board, but frame timings started suffering.
    Granted, they finally reeled that in, but it was an interesting way to get extra performance. Performance that users still have, despite not having the frame time issues.

Wheras nVidia cheated with dx9 and benchmarks as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't really think that is the case, I think AMD cheats a lot less. If nothing else, because they can't afford to. Either economy or public opinion being already low.
    The only thing I can remember that is remotely close to "AMD being caught cheating", must be the frame timing revelation, where one of their drivers suddenly jumped performance by 30% across the board, but frame timings started suffering.
    Granted, they finally reeled that in, but it was an interesting way to get extra performance. Performance that users still have, despite not having the frame time issues.

Wheras nVidia cheated with dx9 and benchmarks as well.
    There have been older "cheats" as well but nothing relevant for the times that I can think of no.

Regardless what's done is done, AMD has split the graphics back into it's own corporate unit (Radeon Technologies Group) and hopefully that's for the better.

With all the controversies surrounding nVidia lately... it's time they get bitchslapped really but not by Radeon... an actual government or consumer instance should be allowed to fine nVidia for the bullshit slandering and marketing lies etc. to the point of common public knowledge to everyone, not just the techies.

I am by no means a "TEAM RED FANBOY"... not even remotely so .. but the practices done by nVidia are infuriating and is just like the school bully that always stole your lunch money.

Deleted
    This information only states that during that quarter, 80% of the discrete GPUs were Nvidia, a huge part of this is due to Nvidia bringing out the 900 series prior.

The concurrent userbase for GPUs is not 80% Nvidia, intel dominates this by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    This information only states that during that quarter, 80% of the discrete GPUs were Nvidia, a huge part of this is due to Nvidia bringing out the 900 series prior.

The concurrent userbase for GPUs is not 80% Nvidia, intel dominates this by a huge margin.
    That doesn't actually mean anything though. My motherboard has an Intel on-board graphics card and is considered a part of Intel's "userbase". Am I ever going to use it? No. Are they making huge amounts of profit from it? No. Are Intel challenging any of AMD or Nvidia's gaming graphics cards in reality? No.

Or am I completely mistaken and the Intel HD 530 is some kind of beast, that's flown under the radar, with everyone going out of their way to buy one? Their market share exists by proxy and isn't of value here.

Disregarding that nonsense, AMD really needs to do something to break Nvidia's strangle hold in the next year. Pascal's coming out Q1~Q2 next year and is probably going to be untouched until Q3~, when Arctic Islands cards hopefully start to show up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am an Nvidia fanboy because I've had the better experiences with them over AMD. Simple as that. I've had 2 Nvidia cards and 2 AMD cards in my life. Both AMD cards had issues playing WoW as well as driver issues and crashes. Literally 0 issues AT ALL with Nvidia. Why would I use AMD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause anecdotes are anecdotes. Vice versa applies to other people too.
    Reading some tech forums including the nvidia driver support forum when I was contemplating upgrading to Win10, there are plenty of issues on both sides. Neither are perfect and bugs are acknowledged by the respective company so you can't just wave it away saying it doesn't exist. There are also quite a bit of hot fixes posted on the nvidia forum that you probably have never seen especially for things broken that were previously working (Gsync, monitor flicker, etc etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    But one has, and one hasn't. Logically, tell me, why pick AMD?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am an Nvidia fanboy because I've had the better experiences with them over AMD. Simple as that. I've had 2 Nvidia cards and 2 AMD cards in my life. Both AMD cards had issues playing WoW as well as driver issues and crashes. Literally 0 issues AT ALL with Nvidia. Why would I use AMD?
    That's just your experience, who knows what was wrong and what wasn't. It varies from user to user. I also think had 2 Nvidia cards and 2 AMD cards, I used to have a lot of "driver stopped responding and has recovered" errors playing NFS:MW with an AGP 7300GT. Also used to have some with my 8800GS.
    Does it mean nvidia drivers break all the time now? No. Some even say that they're the best wonderful thing of the world.

I just don't stand how their strategies are and how exclusive they make everything. How they try to make games run like shit at competition hardware and how they're the very first to introcude new exclusive "standards" to the market that you can only use with Nvidia cards. Their tactics are almost all entirely focused on selling new hardware as fast as possible and the user who bought from them some generations ago is left in the past.

We even had some scandals about it when people were seeing performance loss with newer drivers at old hardware. Not saying that they're true but I don't think it's impossible. Nvidia is anti-competitive. And anti-consumer too.

You can add Gameworks, CUDA, G-Sync, dedicated multi brand PhysX, lawsuits, 3.5 + 5 GB fiasco, all the trouble that they give to the Linux community and even then you'd still have more things to talk about. That's why Apple now only seels things with AMD GPUs, AMD adopts what is open and everyone can use. Sometimes AMD make their own things open so the others can use too and create a standard.
    Duke knows more than me about this and I'm sure he'll gladly talk about it if someone wants to know.

But one has, and one hasn't. Logically, tell me, why pick AMD?
    I can tell you what logic I used to pick my AMD card - it's faster for less money than its nvidia counterpart at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw0050 View Post
    I can tell you what logic I used to pick my AMD card - it's faster for less money than its nvidia counterpart at the time.
    This and that they age way better. Your margin is only going to bet bigger with newer drivers.

Ah, MMO-C - the forum of just, unbiased and enlightened. Defending and finding excuses for AMD so they don't have to. That's cute.

It bears repeating that on my end, I've had a 750Ti since February of this year and in the time since I've had the drivers lock up the system 6 times since then, requiring a complete power cycle. (I leave my system running 24/7)

A Radeon 4000 series card I had been using for several years before the 750 never once crashed on me. There have been a few graphical glitches in a game here and there but nothing completely broken.

There are no absolutes in this game.

Yet out of the 3 cards I've tried to get AMD, the higher specs didn't matter because the drivers are a pain in the ass to run correctly on windows with their catalyst bullshit. I just want the driver period with no option for it. Crashed my computer every attempt even on clean windows installation windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Where as Nvidia is just annoying with experience but it works. I find more support in games where I don't have to edit settings to match outside of the games. That might just be just because Nvidia is a higher market they can buy off the game support for more advertisement.

Just out of personal experience, I've had a horrible time with AMD. Their specs are better but the power consumption for that small boost is unacceptable. Sooner or later AMD will fix their issues and pass up Nvidia if Nvidia doesn't come up with some kind of thing to counter mantle and its development.

I just know that my gtx 770 is still a beast paired with my beastly 1366x768 monitor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Yet out of the 3 cards I've tried to get AMD, the higher specs didn't matter because the drivers are a pain in the ass to run correctly on windows with their catalyst bullshit. I just want the driver period with no option for it. Crashed my computer every attempt even on clean windows installation windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Where as Nvidia is just annoying with experience but it works. I find more support in games where I don't have to edit settings to match outside of the games. That might just be just because Nvidia is a higher market they can buy off the game support for more advertisement.
    This is still anecdotal as many have had the opposite experience.
    Nothing in this world is flawless, but if you want to take drivers as an example .. nVidia has had overal worse drivers over the last 2 years than AMD.

Just takes a bit of Googling to see what their drivers have done (Hello Windows 10 nVidia drivers burning out cards!).
    The point is your personal experience remains just that... personal.

However the whole editing files outside of the game though... nothing to do with AMD but more to do with the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Just out of personal experience, I've had a horrible time with AMD. Their specs are better but the power consumption for that small boost is unacceptable. Sooner or later AMD will fix their issues and pass up Nvidia if Nvidia doesn't come up with some kind of thing to counter mantle and its development.
    nVidia cannot come up with something to "counter" Mantle as Mantle is no longer under development.
    Mantle has 2 off-shoots now which are Vulkan and DirectX 12 ... the day nVidia counters that is when Hell has frozen over and the developers who already despise nVidia GameWorks have been brainwashed to miraculously forget all that they have been begging for the last 5 years... I don't see that happening.

If you really calculate power consumption difference you would realize how little it really is that it does in terms of adding costs.