Thread: potato chips

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The only one I can think of is Lay's Oven Baked chips.

I know there's another but I can't remember it...
    I like Lays, but the type I'm thinking of are small and circular. And its pissing me off that I can't think of the brand name or find it on Google.

Pop Chips! That's what they are!
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2015-11-28 at 07:33 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Can we not have an argument over whether American English or British English is superior and leave to that chips in the US are crisps in the the UK and fries in the US are chips in the UK?

Anyways, while they aren't potato chips, I do find myself loving Simply Naked pita chips. I also like Popcorners, but again, not potato.

There is a brand of baked potato chips I like but the brand name is eluding me, which is annoying because it's not uncommon.
    doritos
    ray's
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Can we not have an argument over whether American English or British English is superior and leave to that chips in the US are crisps in the the UK and fries in the US are chips in the UK?

Anyways, while they aren't potato chips, I do find myself loving Simply Naked pita chips. I also like Popcorners, but again, not potato.

There is a brand of baked potato chips I like but the brand name is eluding me, which is annoying because it's not uncommon.
    The reason it makes little sense in conversation is because crisps are made of potato but so are chips. So saying 'potato chips' you are either saying crisps, or you're just stating that chips are made out of potatoes, which, yes, they are. Additionally, we don't call fries chips in the UK. We call them fries. We have crisps, fries and chips. Chips are chunky, fries are thin, crisps are dry and put in a packet. Always seemed to me Americans were just making it harder for themselves, unless you don't have chips in your country at all, or you probably call them chunky fries or something.

OT: Pringles. They're salty, they're processed, they come in a tube that can be re-purposed as clutter, they have a mascot that's an oval with a moustache, you can buy them more than a year before you eat them and they don't go bad if they're left unopened, they're usually on a 2 for 1 deal so I'm pressured into buying 2 tubes, I don't even know if they're made out of potatoes. What's not to love?

7+ Year Old Account
    I usually have ruffles or lays

They both have a lot of flavors and taste pretty good

I like Lays, but the type I'm thinking of are small and circular. And its pissing me off that I can't think of the brand name or find it on Google.
    Is it a kettle chip type? I'm unsure :x

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    The reason it makes little sense in conversation is because crisps are made of potato but so are chips. So saying 'potato chips' you are either saying crisps, or you're just stating that chips are made out of potatoes, which, yes, they are. Additionally, we don't call fries chips in the UK. We call them fries. We have crisps, fries and chips. Chips are chunky, fries are thin, crisps are dry and put in a packet. Always seemed to me Americans were just making it harder for themselves, unless you don't have chips in your country at all, or you probably call them chunky fries or something.
    The point was I believe is that it's still completely pointless to come into a thread thinking they might mean one thing, to see them listing another and then go "Oh, they mean the American way of saying it, LET ME JUST POINT OUT THE UK WAY OF SAYING IT JUST IN CASE THOSE MURICANS FORGOT".

Also just to answer, in the US we have several different types of fries, but let's not pretend it's somehow more superior to call them one way, it's not rocket science, if you grow up hearing them called one thing, you're gonna keep saying that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post

OT: Pringles. They're salty, they're processed, they come in a tube that can be re-purposed as clutter, they have a mascot that's an oval with a moustache, you can buy them more than a year before you eat them and they don't go bad if they're left unopened, they're usually on a 2 for 1 deal so I'm pressured into buying 2 tubes, I don't even know if they're made out of potatoes. What's not to love?
    We call "chunky fries" fries in the US.

To us, a chip is a very thin slice of potato that's been fried. A fry is a thick cut of potato. We don't have "crisps," not as a fried potato vocabulary word anyways. Just fries and chips. What you call "chips" in "fish and chips" we'd still call fries.
    Putin khuliyo

I prefer Ruffles because of the ridges and it seems like a better made chip than Lays, and I'm pretty sure they put something in Pringles, because those are beyond addictive.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite is probably sour cream and cheddar ruffles...just talking about them makes me wish I had a bag! >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, they're called chips. They were invented here in America and that's what we call them. Your weird choice to call fries chips and chips crisps doesn't mean that's what they're called.
    n the United Kingdom, the origin of the potato chip is attributed to English food writer William Kitchiner's 1822 cookbook The Cook's Oracle, which was a bestseller in England and the United States, and includes a recipe for "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings", which instructs readers to "peel large potatoes, slice them about a quarter of an inch thick, or cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping".[9][10] The earliest reference of the potato chip in the United States is in Mary Randolph's The Virginia House-Wife (1824),[11] which includes a recipe explicitly derived from Kitchiner's earlier cookbook.[12] Boston Housekeeper N.K.M. Lee's cookbook, The Cook's Own Book (1832), also contains a recipe for the potato chip that references Kitchiner's cookbook.[13]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    n the United Kingdom, the origin of the potato chip is attributed to English food writer William Kitchiner's 1822 cookbook The Cook's Oracle, which was a bestseller in England and the United States, and includes a recipe for "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings", which instructs readers to "peel large potatoes, slice them about a quarter of an inch thick, or cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping".[9][10] The earliest reference of the potato chip in the United States is in Mary Randolph's The Virginia House-Wife (1824),[11] which includes a recipe explicitly derived from Kitchiner's earlier cookbook.[12] Boston Housekeeper N.K.M. Lee's cookbook, The Cook's Own Book (1832), also contains a recipe for the potato chip that references Kitchiner's cookbook.[13]
    I don't think this is important to the question of what your favorite flavour is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I don't think this is important to the question of what your favorite flavour is.
    True but whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Who cares? They're delicious that's all that matters

Cheese, onion and sour cream - any combination is usually good.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I can't stand salt and vinegar chips.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Kettle cooked lays (original) are hands down, my favorite chips.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So what is your favorite potato chips? Mine varies from time to time. Usually regular doritos or sour cream and onion lays. However I've been hooked on the rueban chips by lays lately.
    Dorito's are corn chips...and only vaguely. But home made potato chips are the best. Take a potato and thinly slice it, throw it in some oil...mmmh...good stuff.

Deleted
    You do know how thick a quarter of an inch is right? The difference between that and what they made in America is the difference between french fry discs and modern potato chips.
    You do know i'm taking the piss?

Pringles Roast Turkey or Pigs in Blanket (sausage wrapped in bacon for you americans)

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Pringles Roast Turkey or Pigs in Blanket (sausage wrapped in bacon for you americans)
    We know what pigs in a blanket is. Please stop being condescending.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Jalapeno kettle chips are my kryptonite. Must. Eat. All. Of. Them.

No, they're called chips. They were invented here in America and that's what we call them. Your weird choice to call fries chips and chips crisps doesn't mean that's what they're called.
    Yeah, I kind of cringe when I hear fries called chips. It's like if you told me strawberries were called lettuce...does not compute!