Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Erwin Rommel was a hero

This thread is not about discussing the person who was recently banned for having an Erwin Rommel profile picture. I am just simply educating people on who Erwin Rommel is because I am deeply disturbed that people think he is just "a nazi."
    Facts about Erwin Rommel:
    - When he was in France he refused orders from Berlin to round up jews and send them to deportation camps
    - Forced his officers to do the same hard work and put themselves in the same danger as the men that they commanded.
    - Wrote numerous letters to Adolf Hitler himself expressing his disgust in the Nazi party's racist policies
    - Organised a plan to assassinate Adolf Hitler. When he was found out, he was given the option to commit suicide with a cyanide pill or his entirely family would be murdered. He committed suicide with the cyanide pill.
    - Is still celebrated as a German hero today; as someone who opposed tyranny.
    - His African division was not charged with any war crimes.

Discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

I read both Eisenhower's and Churchill's Biographies (there are lots of biographies yes. PM me if you want a recommendation. I read lots of biographies). Both seemed to have respect for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

I read both Eisenhower's and Churchill's Biographies (there are lots of biographies yes. PM me if you want a recommendation. I read lots of biographies). Both seemed to have respect for this guy
    I agree. It's disturbing that people don't know who he is. Why is the person who tried to assassinate hitler not just common knowledge?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    One mans hero is another mans villain
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I agree. It's disturbing that people don't know who he is. Why is the person who tried to assassinate hitler not just common knowledge?
    Probably depends on the zone you go to school in honestly. I'd imagine in Germany, they'd teach more about him than in other areas if he's a German hero.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    - Organised a plan to assassinate Adolf Hitler.
    from what I remember he was not actually involved, only had knowledge of the plot
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    One mans hero is another mans villain
    Wouldn't go that far, but I really am not sure (as in, very much doubtful) how much of his deeds weren't just entirely practical rather than being like, the best, you know.

looks like somebody is evading a ban.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

He was one of, if the the, most respected German officers of WWII. People forget that there is a difference between having been a German nationalist and a Nazi during WWII.

Rommel was an excellent man who did everything he could to fight honorably and well for a country he loved, and did so without betraying his country either. He was placed into an unenviable position as a general for a military ruled by a party he hated, and I suspect most everybody else would've broken or given up, were they in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    looks like somebody is evading a ban.
    I'm not the guy who was banned. If you feel that way then report me.

edit: Why was the thread locked and then reopened...? Seriously it's not breaking any rules. I'm just educating people on who Erwin Rommel is since it's obvious a lot of people are ignorant.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Wouldn't go that far
    Id say its even more true in regards to military matters.

Their success is at the expense of others. And those others arnt exactly gonna have kind thoughts about those who beat the crap outta them.

10+ Year Old Account
    from what I remember he was not actually involved, only had knowledge of the plot
    I had read that he tried to prevent people from learning of the plot. But that was the extent of his involvement. He knew, but wanted to contain the knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was certainly an excellent tactician and general officer if nothing else. I've heard for a long time that he opposed a lot of what Hitler and the Nazi party was doing. If it's all true then well done to him.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Because like almost all his officers tried and on numerous occasions. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the guy who was banned. If you feel that way then report me.

edit: Why was the thread locked and then reopened...? Seriously it's not breaking any rules. I'm just educating people on who Erwin Rommel is since it's obvious a lot of people are ignorant.
    Likely reopened as it was fine. Honestly if it was locked, I would have started a new thread. This is an interesting topic after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id say its even more true in regards to military matters.

Their success is at the expense of others. And those others arnt exactly gonna have kind thoughts about those who beat the crap outta them.
    It's sort of what I was getting at there. Like, for instance, the orders from Hitler to kill the English commandos that would have been in Africa. Like, was his decision to completely disregard those orders because he thought it wasn't right? Or did it have the tinge of knowing that if he did obey them, his troops would likely suffer the same treatment? I mean, only guy that could answer that is dead now, so kind of a pointless exercise, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://youtu.be/p_4dE6S5gTU?t=8m30s

I remember Thunderfoot talking about him. If what was said about him is true then he was a good guy just fighting on the wrong side.

A killer is still a killer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    A killer is still a killer
    So if someone kills someone else in defense of their family or friends it still makes that person a killer?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis