10+ Year Old Account

U.S. marks 60th anniversary of Rosa Parks refusing to give up bus seat

One of the most historic moments in the history of the U.S.

#neverforget

It was 60 years ago today that a simple act of civil disobedience in the U.S. South sparked a civil rights movement.

On Dec. 1, 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white man on a public bus in Montgomery, Ala.

Police arrested the seamstress for violating the city's racial segregation laws, which required black Americans to sit in the back of public buses and mandated they give up their seats to whites if the front seats were full.

Montgomery, Ala., apologizes to Parks five decades later
    Thousands mourn death of Rosa Parks
    Rosa Parks's lawyer dies at age 84

Parks was fined $14 US for refusing the bus driver's order to move to the back of the bus.

Parks's refusal precipitated a year-long boycott of Montgomery buses and galvanized a 26-year-old Baptist minister named Martin Luther King Jr.

The boycott ended 385 days after the incident when the Supreme Court struck down the Alabama and Montgomery laws as being in violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Parks, who died in 2005 at 92, was among the first to ride the newly desegregated buses in 1956.

"Because Rosa Parks kept her seat, thousands of ordinary commuters walked instead of rode," President Barrack Obama said Tuesday in a statement. "Because they marched, our union is more perfect."

The anniversary of Parks's refusal is being commemorated across the U.S.

In Topeka, Kan., the bus system was offering free bus rides to the public on Tuesday, while Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was scheduled to be in Montgomery to speak in a church pastored by King during the boycott.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rosa-pa...sary-1.3345231

A true American hero.

She would be sad to see the pitiful state of black people in the U.S. today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully this reminds people why they're idiots for demanding racial segregation in the name of equality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Hopefully this reminds people why they're idiots for demanding racial segregation in the name of equality.
    If MMOC had an upvote system, I'd totally abuse that upvote button now. This times infinity

A Tennisace thread without an ulterior motive? I'm impressed.
    /clap

I didn't go into US history much, but why is her case more popular than someone like Claudette Colvin or Bayard Rustin (who were protesting bus segregation many years prior)?

While considering the BLM movement has given rise to the white students union in response I wouldn't hold my breath.

Its 2015 we now know that the back of the bus was infact a safe space and rosa parks had internalized racism...

What a age to be alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I didn't go into US history much, but why is her case more popular than someone like Claudette Colvin or Bayard Rustin (who were protesting bus segregation many years prior)?
    Probably the same reason Williams Dawes and Samuel Prescott were left out when Paul Revere was given credit for warning everyone over the British invasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much time is spent on this incident when kids are studying U.S. history in schools?

Quote Originally Posted by toastteetoast View Post
    While considering the BLM movement has given rise to the white students union in response I wouldn't hold my breath.

Its 2015 we now know that the back of the bus was infact a safe space and rosa parks had internalized racism...

What a age to be alive...
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to spin it that way.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

10+ Year Old Account
    an internet for you, you gosh darn polar bear!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's very true...

Deleted
    so black lives do matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    so black lives do matter?
    To some people, sure.

To others.... well, listen to the next Republican presidential debate is all I'm going to say
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Rosa and MLK got more done by keeping their protests peaceful, than the angry rioters get done with their method. There is a lesson to learn there: Make it hard for anyone to doubt the legitimacy of your issue, instead of making it easy to brush you off.