Gearing alts at this stage in the game

Hello,

So with Mythic for me in HFC coming into its last month of progression. I've decided to work on alts to give myself something to do until Legion as I doubt I'll get beta access any time soon if at all. At the moment I'm interested in bringing forth my Holy Paladin, Mage and Warrior tank. At this point what would be the quickest method of getting these guys into at least Normal HFC?

At the moment I know getting 6/6 crafted bis and farming apexis... to get higher ilvls. What I'd like to know is there a shortcut? A few people have been talking about PVP Gear as one method and as someone who would rather not farm apexis across multiple toons, so what is the best way?

It's easy as the 3 T's Timewalking\Tanaan\Trade. PvP gear I have no idea since I don't PvP.
    My latest alt got to 670ish within a couple days of hitting 100 between the Timewalking gear, the shipyard tokens and running Tanaan I think it was 3 times as well as a crafted maximum upgraded weapon.
    Last edited by FertsBlert; 2015-12-04 at 01:07 AM.

Deleted
    all depends how much effort you wanna invest into alts the new pvp gear is ilevel 710

Deleted
    It depends on what you find more enjoyable to do.
    For me the "easiest" way to get gear is to do PvP and reach 710 ilvl.

But if you don't like doing PvP you will find the grind unbearable.

As he/she stated above, Taanan (Baleful gear), Mythic dungeons, and as for PVP gear yes you could obtain them for the ilvl boost but keep in mind some groups will inspect (not that pvp gear is an insta-kick). I don't see it as a huge issue as long as you are pulling your weight for ilvl. If you have the gold, purchasing BOEs from the AH could be easy to do as well. So, 2-3 BOEs + 3 fully upgraded crafted pieces w/ Baleful and pvp if needed, could def. get you into a Normal run. Also, as a Mythic raider just linking your achs will increase your chances of getting into a group. Experience>bads- imo.

Well I don't mind PVP it's much more interesting than Apexis but I'm worried that any inspections will possibly force me out of the group for using PVP gear. Though as mentioned as a mythic raider I can fall back onto my achievements. As for people who end up reading this thread and are progressing or just doing heroic what could they do?
    Last edited by PhilUK; 2015-12-04 at 01:29 AM. Reason: muh grammar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    It depends on what you find more enjoyable to do.
    For me the "easiest" way to get gear is to do PvP and reach 710 ilvl.

But if you don't like doing PvP you will find the grind unbearable.
    I've heard a few conflicting reports on pvp. One fool said trashcan but on my server at least the fights are still there- there's no steamroll or time to sneak into the forest area.

With the skrimish event up one would think that works. However you need to Win those with an ungered alt

This leaves good old fashioned BG afking. Is this the common method?
    Wrath baby and proud of it

I'm a Mythic Raider too and doing pretty much the same right now. As there is still a lot of time until Legion i'm focusing on one alt, then go for the next one:

Step 1:
    - get Baleful Gear with the right stats from Tanaan (Daily Quests, Rare Mobs, Shityard) and upgrade it with the Epic Tokens from Main who should swim in Apexis Crystals at this time (if you didn't waste them on that ugly mount )
    - run Mythic Dungeons with some fellow Mythic raiders carrying
    - Crafting for missing pieces (685 should be fine)
    - grind up Legendary Quest (LFR/Normal HM/BRF, Shityard(!), Garrison)
    - kill Kazzak each week
    - Weekly Bonus Event (Timewalking, WoD Dungeon, Apexis)
    - hoard Bonus Rolls for Step 2
    (- PVP if you want. I cba, though.)

You'll have a ~695-700 alt after around 2 weeks with very little (time) effort. Alt A goes to Step 2 and Alt B starts with Step 1.

Step 2:
    - get into HFC Normal PUGs (easy with Mythic achievs)
    - or even better: make your own group with 20+ people, get some Mythic friends to carry and lock the most important items that you need (probably Set/Trinket Tokens) - many people rather join an easy PUG with Mythic carry that locked some items than a group of baddies with unsure outcome.

By this, I 'rotate' through my alts and have them all geared without burning out because I can do it quite casually and step-by-step. (I know it may still sound a lot for a 'truly' casual player.)
    Last edited by chooi; 2015-12-04 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    Well I don't mind PVP it's much more interesting than Apexis but I'm worried that any inspections will possibly force me out of the group for using PVP gear. Though as mentioned as a mythic raider I can fall back onto my achievements. As for people who end up reading this thread and are progressing or just doing heroic what could they do?
    Literally nobody will inspect you. Threats of inspection armory-ing and whatnot are 100% hot air. ONE person in god knows how many groups might look

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    I'm a Mythic Raider
    Unfortunately what works for you doesn't work in the real world where most people don't have mythic achievements and guildys to trivialize the issues in your process. For the varying degrees of heroic raider your options are limited to pugging- and so far none of my recent pugs can do shit- we're talking multi-wipe killrog and people not passing the eye on NORMAL. I can't just "make a pug" because I lack the ilevel 730 peeps to come make my group attractive and lets be honest. Auction runs, while functional can become a bit of a drag when you've got to pony up absurd sums

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    Unfortunately what works for you doesn't work in the real world where most people don't have mythic achievements and guildys to trivialize the issues in your process. For the varying degrees of heroic raider your options are limited to pugging- and so far none of my recent pugs can do shit- we're talking multi-wipe killrog and people not passing the eye on NORMAL. I can't just "make a pug" because I lack the ilevel 730 peeps to come make my group attractive and lets be honest. Auction runs, while functional can become a bit of a drag when you've got to pony up absurd sums
    OP asked from a Mythic Raider PoV, so my path is legit for him. I feel sorry for you

PS: But all that also applies to non-Mythic raiders. You'll not have the shortcuts though (Mythic carries for Dungeons/Raid). You can still open up your own group which is always an option. Will just take a bit longer.
    Last edited by chooi; 2015-12-04 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    If you get kicked for pvp gear that group leader is an idiot. PvP is best initially, even the blue stuff because you can choose your stats. Trinkets might be poor. You could be 700 ilvl in one day. Once you have this, you should be able to get into normal HFC or mythic dungeons. Of course being a mythic player, could be a good idea to do this with guildies and skip normal HFC all together. My guild only does heroic but we set an ilvl of 690 if we need pugs to fill gaps. You and your guildies should be skilled enough to kill bosses without to much of a problem.

So it really depends. If youre OK with 700 going into next xpac, you could easily have 10 more alts at that level in 10 weeks. If you feel you need more, its probably more profitable to do your own groups. Mythic dungeons are great but RNG might mean you find it hard to actually upgrade the gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    So it really depends. If youre OK with 700 going into next xpac, you could easily have 10 more alts at that level in 10 weeks. If you feel you need more, its probably more profitable to do your own groups.
    That's a good point actually. In current Legion Alpha build early Rare mobs drop ilvl 700 blues (quest rewards probably lower, 680-690?) - so I assume you're totally fine with upgraded Baleful, Mythic Dungeon, Crafting and maybe some HFC N gear if you only look at having your alts geared up for Legion to make early leveling quite easy. Rather try to get all the (DPS) Heirloom Trinkets in Mythic Dungeons that are also really good currently if you don't have access to Mythic HFC gear.
    Last edited by chooi; 2015-12-04 at 02:41 AM.

Regular guild alt run where - assuming you're even semi-capable of playing them - you should be able to work through Normal then Heroic gearing your alts suitably. Knowing the fights and mechanics persists across classes, so you can get away with just being bad at your class and improving as you work through the instance.

Then you also have the benefit of a main or two carrying the harder fights if need be and someone can swap.

Do you tank? Apparently the CTA satchels from heroic dungeons have a decent chance of dropping the 695 token for alts.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but you do get decent gold at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddnesskhaz View Post
    Regular guild alt run where - assuming you're even semi-capable of playing them - you should be able to work through Normal then Heroic gearing your alts suitably. Knowing the fights and mechanics persists across classes, so you can get away with just being bad at your class and improving as you work through the instance.

Then you also have the benefit of a main or two carrying the harder fights if need be and someone can swap.
    This has been my goal. I'm still looking for a guild that can either do normal well enough or does alt nights

Just go to Ashran, do events etc if you're winning, fragment farm if you have a bad group, got my Rogue to iLvl 702 three days after hitting 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gearing alts is easy mode, you can just with baleful achieve normal raid gearing, even intro HC.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I went the pvp route. Got all ilvl 700 gear from honor, and have a few pieces of 710 gear from conquest and the ashran weekly. From there ive been doing mythic dungeons and have been doing 30-40k dps. Not great but not low enough to be kicked. I can easily get into HFC normal. Im at 705 ilvl and I could probably get into a heroic HFC if I spammed enough groups/started a run/got in with a guild.