Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Void Form Suggestions

first of all, (like all my posts) sorry for poor English and tones of mistakes im going to make here.

I feel like it is important at this point to discuss void form in a separated thread.

to me It was overly underwhelming, both visually and mechanic vise, at least at this point and time. I think here is a good place to throw some ideas around and surely people at blizzard will implement some of these if they are any good.

here there are some ideas of mine:

- visual effect: give it a cool model, currently it looks like a mage under the effect of GI (essentially a weaker looking version of the "normal form"). It needs to show that the priest is being overwhelmed by the powers of the old gods, maybe a tentacly moster, a faceless, or even a corrupted naru/ voidlord model will be better than this. I personally think it needs a brand new model, like meta, but resembling the influence of old gods instead of demons.

- game play : At this point it feels like we dont have control over voidform for the most part, and with voidbolt being just an extender, its not the most exciting concept. I can think of two different ways to tackle this:

1 - make voidbolt an insanity generator with very low or no damage at all. remove insanity generation from all other abilities and keep voidform drain insanity at a fixed rate. this way, void form will be more engaging, we can plan in advance to see when it is beneficial to use voidbolt to generate insanity and when to enter voidform to gain the most out of it. ( on a single target fight It can lead to banking on high insanity and waiting for procs to enter void form while doing the normal rotation ..., then when we have our procs/ cds up, we can cast the last needed voidbolt to enter voidform and use that as a semi-ondemand CD.)
    2 - make voidform an active ability like meta, but it will boost the damage by the percentage of insanity we have, so if you enter voidform with 80% insanity it will buff your haste/damage only by 80%, this way it will introduce some depth to the spec, a new player can cast it always on 100% insanity and have decent output, while a player with more experience, may plan some kind of "stance dancing" to keep its insanity high for key moments of the fight while not sitting on 100% insanity the rest of the time.

of course giving new names to spells or adding new spells/ animations to use during voidform would be a fun extent to this, but having voidform as a passive which we have very little control over is not enough.

well, what do you think? any suggestions?
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2015-12-04 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    visual effect: give it a cool model, currently it looks like a mage under the effect of GI (essentially a weaker looking version of the "normal form"). It needs to show that the priest is being overwhelmed by the powers of the old gods, maybe a tentacly moster, a faceless, or even a corrupted naru/ voidlord model will be better than this. I personally think it needs a brand new model, like meta, but resembling the influence of old gods instead of demons.
    I want to look like some sort of Angel of Darkness/Death, rather than just going full tentacle monster. Maybe have the tentacles sprout from our backs like wings...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    I want to look like some sort of Angel of Darkness/Death, rather than just going full tentacle monster. Maybe have the tentacles sprout from our backs like wings...
    Well. I could imagine something like Malthael from D3

In fact one of the variations of the shadow artifact looks like his weapons. So...

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Well. I could imagine something like Malthael from D3

In fact one of the variations of the shadow artifact looks like his weapons. So...
    Yes. Exactly.

That is what I want to look like. Going full Faceless One would be a bit over the top. Something a bit more sombre would be nice. It should look dignified.

Personally i would prefer something along these lines:

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Personally i would prefer something along these lines:
    That works too. There's a lot of things I wouldn't mind, even something like a Dementor could work. I just don't want it to end up looking silly.

Completely off topic, but something i never noticed about that scene is everything else looks great except the clouds. Like something out of an 8-bit game and that bugs me.

Void Form should be remenisant of Slender Man with lots of evil tetacles on our backs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Void form should turn you into a Faceless or something like that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Void Form should be remenisant of Slender Man with lots of evil tetacles on our backs.
    Hell yes! Someone please suggest it to Blizz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Void form should turn you into a Faceless or something like that
    Nah. I think a Faceless One would just kind of be a bit too much. Well, maybe not "too much", but just not quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Well, I do like back tentacles. I also wouldn't mind a few eyes growing in odd places, peering from the shadows of our form. Maybe a few grinning mouths too...

I mean, that would really help sell the insanity bit, as well as the part about reaching to deep into the realm of the Old Gods.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2015-12-05 at 01:57 AM.

I personally think void form should look like a creature of the void like demidos would love his model as void form.

Last edited by jac9996; 2015-12-05 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jac9996 View Post
    I personally think void form should look like a creature of the void like demidos would love his model as void form.
    Compromise. We get a few glyphed variations.

But seriously, I want eyes. Lots of them. Just growing out of wherever.

I also want mouths. Wide smiling mouths. Or screaming mouths. Also just growing out of nothing, as dark power gathers near us. Have a few tentacles sprout, as if we're almost transforming into something like the Old Gods themselves.

That would be beautiful.

I'd also love it if the artifact reacted to our Void form by growing over our hand and merging with our flesh, becoming a sort of claw appendage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Compromise. We get a few glyphed variations.

But seriously, I want eyes. Lots of them. Just growing out of wherever.

I also want mouths. Wide smiling mouths. Or screaming mouths. Also just growing out of nothing, as dark power gathers near us. Have a few tentacles sprout, as if we're almost transforming into something like the Old Gods themselves.
    I always imagine that we would lose eyes in our face. But we gain eyes in the rest of the body. It would help the "faceless" fantasy of an Old God.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    I always imagine that we would lose eyes in our face. But we gain eyes in the rest of the body. It would help the "faceless" fantasy of an Old God.
    Yes. Also, having eyes and mouths pop up has one major advantage over a simpler transformation.

You can add more eyes as the Void Form stacks build up.

I think that our Void Form should just be a formless tentacle mass that only other players see, keeping with the idea of madness and insanity.

Deleted
    Please give the class some graphic love.

This Voidform is now a huge possibility to make the char LOOK better and cooler. I can see very cool suggestions coming from the community here!

Moreover, I find that mind flay graphics very poor... Take the chance to improve it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Void Form simply needs a graphic such as Void Entropy engulfing us or something kinda like when Thrall was engulfed by twisted dark shaman magic in the beginning of the Garrosh encounter. I feel like the more we tap into the Void (and reach full insanity) the more it pulls us into its nothingness.

I personally don't want to change into some ridiculous looking void creature or faceless abomination as Blizzard said we're going to be spending a lot of time in Void Form - I'd rather it just be a cool gfx and not look like some over the top creature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GameFX View Post
    Void Form simply needs a graphic such as Void Entropy engulfing us or something kinda like when Thrall was engulfed by twisted dark shaman magic in the beginning of the Garrosh encounter. I feel like the more we tap into the Void (and reach full insanity) the more it pulls us into its nothingness.

I personally don't want to change into some ridiculous looking void creature or faceless abomination as Blizzard said we're going to be spending a lot of time in Void Form - I'd rather it just be a cool gfx and not look like some over the top creature.
    I feel the same way. I'd prefer we kept the current Shadowform appearance and when we go into void form, it just augments the look with some fancy effect.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

mind flay and drain life need updated animations.
    My name is what makes me so manly.