Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Here's Ike, president 34. He looks a little like the enemy in this photo.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    decisiveness, morality, vision, conviction are not "wartime" traits though. They are traits any good president should have. So my opinion is the same: elect a good president, and he will be good both in peace and in war.

You don't need a military commander. You have actual qualified commanders for that. You just need a president who isn't as full of himself to think he knows better than the professionals.
    Those tend to be a rarity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

My Second favorite President.

Deleted
    Just image a world where the next german chancellor runs on a "wartime chancellor" platform

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Wasnt much of a war time president though. Overall a decent president.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    decisiveness, morality, vision, conviction are not "wartime" traits though. They are traits any good president should have. So my opinion is the same: elect a good president, and he will be good both in peace and in war.

You don't need a military commander. You have actual qualified commanders for that. You just need a president who isn't as full of himself to think he knows better than the professionals.
    Military decisiveness, morality, vision and conviction are different than their civilian equivalent, I'm sorry to say. Civilian life is much more static and slow than military life and part of the training all military people go through is to live, think and operate with a sense of urgency that isn't reflected in civilian life except in police, fire and rescue operations. Relativism has blurred everything so it's real easy to declare military and civilian traits equivalent but they're not. You're right that they're good traits in general when applied without connotation, but when applied with such we end up needing those Happy Warriors that the poets have made so famous throughout history rather than the humdrums we've gotten who take their military orders from the same people the Pentagon do, the weapons manufacturers.

We don't need a military commander, we need a Commander in Chief. You're right about not needing self absorbed children.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.