A few Abathur questions

Hi guys, I'm trying to master this character but I am a bit confused on a few things.

1) How close exactly is "xp range" ? I try body soaking and it would be a bit easier if I knew exactly what this range was.

2) I just played a game on Sky Temple (the one where u fight the two immortals) where I tried hard to body soak but it always seemed like the enemy was laning in a way that there wasn't really a relatively safe area for me to go to. The mobs weren't quite fighting near a gate that I could stand behind, but the lane wasn't really clear and enemy heroes did a decent job at checking the stealth spots. I was able to deep tunnel to a few fights inbetween symbioting our Jaina, but I would have to quickly relinquish symbiote and deep tunnel back to base - how do u guys position yourself in this type of situation?

This is all I have for now, maybe I will think of more later. Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly sure what the XP range is , but if they are in the mid of the lane, you'll want to be slightly out of the gate.
    But mine deaths on minion count too.

And you mean Battlefield of Eternity I guess. That one can be harder to body soak as it's only 2 lanes, however, you're able to body soak in the lane when teams are doing the immortal. If there are heroes on enemy team that aren't working on the immortal but looking for you instead, that's a win for your team.

There is no set in stone positioning , cus its highly map & spec dependant (with a hat build you're mostly positioning defensively (or atleast I am) and with a siege build I position much more aggressive.

But in some maps:

Battlefield - Sit in lane when they are working on the immortal, preferably the lane where the enemy isn't burning yours down.
    Infernal Shrines - Lane opposite of where the shrine spawns. So it spawns top, you sit bot.
    Cursed Hollow - Opposite of tribute. Usually bot is where u can soak.
    Tomb of the Spider Queen - Don't go Aba in HL but in QM , try bot. Less action , no bosses enemy will scout/get.
    Sky Temple - Bot lane first Temple phase - top lane second Temple phase
    Haunted Mines - Depends on where your Golem will attack - getting that lane down first is the best.
    Towers of Doom - Hard to say, haven't played it enough yet.

Xp range is about half a screen-length unless your monitor is weird. Just keep playing and watch out for it. It'll take a while but you'll get the feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Xp range is about half a screen-length unless your monitor is weird. Just keep playing and watch out for it. It'll take a while but you'll get the feel for it.
    It's actually 80% of the screen, at least on my 16*10 monitor.

You should only try to body soak when you know the enemy team is far away on the map, which is usually because some objective is up.

Yeah usually I see Abathurs soaking from the bush in the middle of the lane. But only do that if you're keeping a close eye on the map. It's very risky.

Personally I almost never do it. There are other ways for Aba to generate value that are less risky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah usually I see Abathurs soaking from the bush in the middle of the lane. But only do that if you're keeping a close eye on the map. It's very risky.

Personally I almost never do it. There are other ways for Aba to generate value that are less risky.
    Playing Minesweeper in the enemy territory, for example.

I love getting mine kills.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

1) Soak range is your characters vision range. So you need to be relatively near the creeps to soak, but usually there is always bush nearby where you can stay undetected.

2) You can body soak on the lane where the objective is not active. Just wait until the objective is about to start so people are not in the furthest lane anymore. If someone stays at the lane, just let them push near your gate and soak the lane from there.

You should always body soak a lane if you can. Always choose the lane that is furthest away from active objective and set mines near choke points where the enemy will path back to the lane so you can see them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

I tend to stand behind the allied minion wave, just out of sight of the enemy's vision. It's close enough for xp, and they have no idea how close I actually am unless someone checks my locust lifetime at the wrong moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really want to soak it's important to note you really do want the first tier minion talent.

All the rest has pretty much been covered also some maps are great for it others you are best to stay in your base and even in that case a good nova can still pop you. The trick with getting enough experience gain is to on a 3 lane at least have a map presence a bit over the place. I generally go full hat build because killing people as abathur is fun and efficient on team fights and the experience gain post 13 is neglect able to a point.

Unless your map awareness has reached a state where you will know where each of the enemies' five heroes are and will be, you generally want to get Aba out into the mid of a lane/nearby alcove/bush only if the lane is currently empty. Using your mines for vision will only work so long as you are actually paying attention to the map, otherwise you mind as well just use them to help clear minion waves.

If you go mines build, you can lure the enemy into your bush, thinking they are about to get an easy kill, and then just spawn locusts ontop of your stockiple of toxic nests. Hat the locust and they will die within a couple seconds, humiliated. Do not attempt on genre savyier players.

Your greatest foes are in Falstad, Zeratul, and darn good Azmodunks (who can one shot Aba with enough stacks on globe and a bit of prediction). Falstad and Zeratul will attempt to hone in on your position (even if your inside a base), take you out, and warp away. You can avoid this fate by placing yourself within position of a fort's three towers and the fort itself, that way the enemy hero may very well die before he can finish you off or even escape (remember you have the 'Z' button to warp away yourself while they get roasted). You can use the toxic nest build to one shot them if you want to venture out into the open. As for Azmodan, you just have to keep moving away from him whenever he catches onto your position.