Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone playing Ragnarok Online's F2P Model?

Just started up an account, playing for the first time. Had a few questions hoping to get an idea of how the game works.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played RO for 4 years before I quit, but the game has changed drastically from what it was when I was still playing.

The game is just your usual grind-fest Korean based MMO (though they have been putting in more quests) that has different levels of play. There is actually a structured leveling process now instead of just have someone you know tank something that gives you a crap load of exp when you kill it.

1-15 levels above your current level grants bonus exp. More exp for the higher level above you. 1-15 levels below your current level grants you slightly reduced to pretty heavily reduced exp. Trying to kill anything 16+ levels above you grants you only 40% of the exp that monster normally gives, as well as 40% of the drop rate.

RO was a really fun game back in the day. And WoE was a great way to screw around for a few hours on Weds/Sat. But the game has changed so much at this point that it's a bit daunting for older players to come back and relearn how to play the game.

And if anyone else posts in here about RO.....remember the old school 12 person parties in BioLabs level 3? .....oh the horror.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    remember the old school 12 person parties in BioLabs level 3? .....oh the horror.
    BioLabs old school? I remember when the world map didn't even have the Schwartzwald Republic on it yet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    BioLabs old school? I remember when the world map didn't even have the Schwartzwald Republic on it yet!
    If you want to go back that far....I remember when swordsman, archer and thief were the only 3 classes implemented in the game >.>

And Bapho being sooooo huge that he literally took up the entire screen.

They stream-lined BioLabs to be slightly better with a smaller person party. You stood no chance in the original BioLabs with anything less than 10. And even 10 was pushing it.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Just started up an account, playing for the first time. Had a few questions hoping to get an idea of how the game works.
    I played RO during the beta, and shortly after. I quit playing though, when I could no longer afford it back in the day. I really don't think I could get back into it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bio3 parties were awesome. Unfortunately for my server, WoE politics ruled most aspects of the game, so there was a lot of griefing in Bio3. I played RO starting in mid '04, quit about 5 years later, then came back for about 6 months, quitting again about a month into Renewal.

My best advice for OP is to check out irowiki.org and the forums there. There's lots of good information.
    And now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

It went really downhill with Renewal.

10+ Year Old Account
    renewal ruined everything .
    archdruid valentyne -- kel'thuzad, us | RP & M+ PVE

10+ Year Old Account
    irowiki.org and rode-r.doddlercon.com are 2 of the best sites you can find for anything you want to learn about something.

irowiki.org/~himeyasha is another great source. Her skill emulator is a bit confusing, but still one of the best to visually sit down and look at if you need to figure something out and how to build your character. Hime is a great gal. I've known her for years. Even before the both of us started playing RO.

And sp13, you started playing when I already had 1 foot out the door lol. In '04 I'd already left from Deity and the main Geffen alliance and joined other friends in Intrepid. (I was getting tired of all the alliance drama and doing BioLabs 24/7 as one of the only high priest tanks)

R.I.P Vince-MotherFxxking-Jadefrost~

And I agree that Renewal screwed things over. Lost a lot of its appeal after that. I used to hunt numerous MVPs with 2-3 other people and trying to do MVP hunts after Renewal was retarded.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-09-22 at 10:34 PM.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    I went and played a private server with renewal on it, wasnt too bad i enjoyed the way things were. But id imagine it sucks being 1.5x for experience lol. i played a 10x server

I tried the F2P version after being dissuaded from joining 5 years ago when it only had a sub. Didn't like it :/ It all just felt really dated.

I had my best laughs while playing this game back in the day. I recently took a look at some things they've implemented into the game. They've implemented a crapload of stuff, plus 3rd classes, I no longer recongize this game, since my memory reaches only as far as the implementation of WoE 2.0. I'd like to play someday for fun, but not with this weird stuff going on. Normal woe, pwnin' some champions/sinx/creators on my trusty ol' High Priest.

This was once a very good game, with a beautiful soundtrack and much fun attached to it. Sadly it went downhill.

Deleted
    hmm the experience has changed alot. to get to 99 trans now takes as long as getting to 95 normal did before the renewal. It actually feels like playing a priv server, dinging a few times an hour rather than a few times a month :P

Personally I think it was needed. theres no place for the huge grindfests we used to see. Its a dated game for sure, but it has its charm, and lets be honest, guild sieges were more fun than the PVP most other MMOs have managed.

I have alot of love for RO, it was the first mmo I played, but I think things have just moved on too much from then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    I have alot of love for RO, it was the first mmo I played, but I think things have just moved on too much from then.
    Same.

I remember way back when that 98-99 trans class required a little over 254 million exp =/ It was fun for a while....and I actually got to level 92 High Priest before I quit, but there were some things about the game that I did distinctly despise.....

Like the Sign Quest....the person who actually invented that quest needs to go to the further reaches of hell and sit on a flaming bed of rose bushes for all eternity.

Who all was on the Chaos server aside me? (Before the massive server merge)
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Deleted
    I started on chaos but ended up on loki. As for quests and things, I quit before trans classes even came in, as far as I remember the only quests were for hats or jobs. I managed to get a 93 crusader and 86 priest but after that I moved to private servers, mainly because of the lag and 100s of bots on the official servers. In fact the private servers were usually better run. Then I hosted my own server for 4 years. Good times finally wow got me, and I lost interest in RO, and shut the server.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on Chaos almost from the get go. Be glad that you quit before the trans classes came out because, on official servers, they literally ruined what little non-WoE PvP RO had. Everyone was either a champ or sinx for the 1 shot abilities.

I do miss the guild dungeon wars though....I remember about 6 of us from Deity killing 20 or so people from other smaller guilds when a dungeon war would start.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    If you want to go back that far....I remember when swordsman, archer and thief were the only 3 classes implemented in the game.
    Definitely don't remember that but then I think I only played for about 4 or so months before they went P2P, was a fun game for what it was though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Definitely don't remember that but then I think I only played for about 4 or so months before they went P2P, was a fun game for what it was though.
    That was in the later end/beginning of 2000-2001 the game was in its Alpha stage and being tested. They released it with only those 3 classes coded and did tweaks on the game literally every week to change and update what they could.

Hell, I still remember when Gloves were called Globes because of a mistype.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Psh. These people saying BioLabs is old school.

*Old lady voice*

In my time we had Agility/Vitality/Luck builds, and we grinded Turtle Island FOREVER! We had no fancy 3rd classes or any shit! No, we didn't! You hit level 75 on your little Assassin and then it was Turtle Island for you for the rest of your life! And then you got to 99 and they only brought you to WoE so you could break the Emperium! You think you gonna kill anything? NO! You're there for the Emperium, you big noob! Stop hitting other people, equip your Fortune Sword and Buckler with Thara Frog card and rush to that Emp Room already! And you did all that while wearing bear poop on your head! Bear poop is good for you, makes you so stinky that players deal 10% less damage to you!

And then get your other Fortune Sword and your Yoyo Clips and go mob Raydrics so the Wizards can AoE them down and level up having an easy time, while you grind forever alone in the cold dark loneliness of Turtle Island because nobody wants to play with an Assassin.

Yeah. Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psh....you did Raydrics with Wizards? I did Rays with hunters, assassins and GC saders. All the while killing Bloody Fatass every hour and the Aby Knight every 45 minutes in the same spot that it spawned at the top of the center wall in Chiv2.

And Bio was old school....at least for me. There were only about 5-6 guilds on Chaos when Bio3 was released that could actually manage to do it. It stayed that way for quite a while, but the pool of groups slowly got larger.

Now Raydrics are level 100, you have to be level 100 (read: 3rd class) in order to even get full exp and drops from them. Which sucks. Ray cards are going for about 55 mil right now on live servers.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-09-22 at 11:10 PM.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD