10+ Year Old Account

Am I Shadow-ing correctly?

Forget that in Legion I'll just have to relearn everything anyways, but... This is my current rotation:

--Phase One--

1) Spam Mind Spike
    2) Use Mind Blast on cooldown
    2) Enter Phase 2 at 5/5 Shadow Orbs

--Phase Two--
    1)Apply Vampiric Touch
    2)Apply SW: Pain
    3)Apply Devouring Plague reducing you to 2/5 shadow orbs
    4)SW: Insanity as long as you can
    5) Mind Blast to bring you to 3/5 shadow orbs
    6)Apply Devouring Plague, reducing you to 0/5 shadow orbs
    7)SW: Insanity as long as you can
    9)Mind Spike to remove any remaining ticks of any dots to maximize follow up Mind Blast, immediately hit Mind Blast
    9) Revert to Phase One.

Is this completely wrong? A Spriest in 735 gear (I'm in 713) said I should never use any dots in single target dps (including Devouring Plague), which begs the question, why did she have SW: Insanity as a talent if you can't use it because you never apply Devouring Plague...

I feel like everything I thought I knew is wrong.

Just in case you need my stats:
    32% Haste
    57% Mastery
    15% Multistrike
    12% Crit
    7% Versatility

EDIT: I should say I'm not particularly unhappy with my DPS, I do ~55k to ~65k with buffs, which is usually what I see from other shadow priests of the same gear level. I have no set bonuses or anything.
    Last edited by Oneirophobia; 2015-12-06 at 11:28 PM.

Deleted
    he was right, u wont use dots on single target(except DP ofc), can u get to cca 36% haste? with low latency levels my "rotation" is like this
    get 5 stacks of RoW
    at least 2-3 orbs > MB(3o)>MS>DP>2 ticks insanity>MB(1o)>insanity full>MS/shadowfiend>MB(2o)>MS>MS>MS>MB(3o)>MS>DP>insanity 2 ticks... (repeat)
    + never delay your MB even when u have insanity, get quartz or some other addon to see ticks and clip accordingly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphx View Post
    + never delay your MB even when u have insanity, get quartz or some other addon to see ticks and clip accordingly
    They also said never to mind blast and DP back to back BECAUSE you don't want to lose ticks of insanity. :0

Deleted
    Isn't dot weaving/insanity like a 1-2% dps increase at most compared to a brainless alternative like mindbender esp with 4 piece granting near perma multistrike buff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    Isn't dot weaving/insanity like a 1-2% dps increase at most compared to a brainless alternative like mindbender esp with 4 piece granting near perma multistrike buff?
    I don't have dat dank 4 piece yet. From what I've JUST experimented with in the last hour, it seems dot weaving and just ignore Vamp and Pain and going straight into DP --> Insanity is more or less the exact same damage.

I assume ignoring Vamp and Pain gets significantly better if you get a large amount of mastery, of which I only have 57%.

No idea what that 735 priest was on, but no you wouldn't not cast DP. Even without 4pc you'll find better DPS by using Mindbender instead. I highly suggest you read this guide and it should help you out a ton.

Long story short, it's a DPS gain to spike of DP, dono't use SW: P or VT ever as cop.