Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest soloing in 6.2: what spec?

I'm leveling up a priest for the first time in a while, and having a good time. I'm wondering: when I get it to 100, what'll be a good spec for soloing old raids and such?

Shadow is the only option. The damage that holy and disc put out is pathetic at best.

Fair enough. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Shadow is the only option. The damage that holy and disc put out is pathetic at best.
    That is only correct for MoP raids or later, in earlier raids the buff we got after the stat/item squish makes any spec viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    That is only correct for MoP raids or later, in earlier raids the buff we got after the stat/item squish makes any spec viable.
    Viable, but not necessarily fun. I tried as Holy and Shadow, and while I don't like Shadow as such, it simply has much smoother damage dealing tools available. So it's a question of easy melting vs. cumbersome chopping in old raids. Don't know about Disc.

Otherwise I'm full-time holy. With Illona and 9/10 sludge buff in Tanaan soloing anything is not only possible but actually carefree.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    Stupid not to go shadow though. Makes everything 3 times slower. DP heals you to full health anyway so you'll never be in danger of dying.

Level 100?
    Shadow for normal mobs
    Shadow and Defender Illona (or the Horde equivalent), as your bodyguard, for elites and rares.
    Disc and Defender Illona " " for harder elites.
    ...is what I do.

I'm holy/disc for raiding purposes and don't bother trying killing anything just to say myself frustration.

Holy is kinda fun in red chakra.

I honestly don't think it matters too much, but if you do plan to DPS later, it can be good practice to do it as shadow.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

I'm a fan of disc when soloing old content. Mainly because I can run through trash at blazing speed while just spamming holy nova and everything dies.

Disc or Holy is fine for anything pre-MoP (and likely some early MoP). Shadow will, ofc, kill faster, but I'm too lazy to get a Shaow spec every time I get the itch to solo an older raid.

I dont see any reason to go disc or holy for any soloing of old content or questing. You could go Clarity of Power shadow in your healing gear and kill things faster than disc or holy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    I'm a fan of disc when soloing old content. Mainly because I can run through trash at blazing speed while just spamming holy nova and everything dies.
    Yeah.. if holy still had nova, I'd probably do it that way, too. But they took it from us! *sniff*
    ... then again, we'll get it back! Yay!

As a complete n00b back in vanilla, I've leveled as a holy priest from 1 to 60. It was a pain. However, it did learn me how to heal in dungs
    Wut wut wut in the mud

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Nope. When I was soloing MSV earlier on I had to play Disc for the The Stone Guard at the beginning, and for Gara'jal the Spiritbinder, because the damage was too much. So when he hits 100 he will probably be in the same boat. It's not always about damage, but about being able to survive.

Shadow for bosses and disc for trash. Holy Nova spam is effective for clearing out entire rooms of trash quite quickly.

Deleted
    Disc/Holy for really east stuff just cos of Holy Nova, Shadow for wrath content onwards, and occasionally back to disc for really hard hitting bosses in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ins0mnia View Post
    As a complete n00b back in vanilla, I've leveled as a holy priest from 1 to 60. It was a pain. However, it did learn me how to heal in dungs
    Shadow was shit for leveling back then, most people leveled as holy haha.

If I recall correctly it was only until about 40 were shadow as even considered, and most people waited till 50 for VE. But yeah, I think most old school priests remember the pain that all 3 specs were shit for leveling, so that's neither here nor there haha

Quote Originally Posted by Alfryd View Post
    Shadow was shit for leveling back then, most people leveled as holy haha.

If I recall correctly it was only until about 40 were shadow as even considered, and most people waited till 50 for VE. But yeah, I think most old school priests remember the pain that all 3 specs were shit for leveling, so that's neither here nor there haha
    As far as Vanilla leveling Shadow was by far the best but you needed to Wand. You got Mind Flay at 20 and the "rotation" was Mind Blast, SWP then Flay. Once the mob got close to death you'd wand to trigger the FSR and allow Spirit Tap to do its thing so you finished the fight at full mana for zero downtime. Shadow was one of the fastest leveling specs because of Wanding/Spirit Tap.

I had friends who leveled as Holy just because they were going to heal at 60 and didn't want to spend all their Gold on a respec, plus they got easy invites to leveling Dungeons but Shadow was just faster if that's what you cared about.

For leveling in WoD at launch I actually used Disc until around 95. Single target DPS is weak but you're almost unkillable. Rares were easy to solo and leveling was fast because I could PWS then gather up a dozen mobs and AoE them down with Holy Nova.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 2016-01-08 at 04:31 PM.

I leveled as holy. It took me a year to reach 60. At the time I thought every class and spec was like that.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles