Icelanders flock to religion revering Sumerian gods and tax rebates

The best thing I have read for a while! You go Icelanders! We should do the same. Commence brainstorming of new religions.

Icelanders opposed to the state funding of religion have flocked to register as Zuists, a movement that worships ancient Sumerian gods and – perhaps more importantly – promises its followers a tax rebate.

More than 3,100 people – almost 1% of Iceland’s population – have joined the Zuist movement in the past two weeks in protest at paying part of their taxes to the state church and other religious bodies. Followers of Zuism will be refunded the tax element earmarked for religion.

Icelanders are required to register their religion with the state, with almost three-quarters of the population affiliated to the established Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland. There are more than 40 other registered religious bodies that qualify for “parish fees” paid through the taxation system. The amount set in next year’s budget is the equivalent of about $80 (£53) per taxpayer over a year.

“There is no opt-out. Those who are unaffiliated or belong to unregistered religions effectively just pay higher taxes,” said Sveinn Thorhallsson, a Zuist spokesperson. An opinion poll published in September showed 55% of respondents want an end to the system.

Zuism, based on the worship of Sumerian gods, registered as a religion in Iceland in 2013. But inactivity put it at risk of being de-registered by the authorities earlier this year.

A group of citizens opposed to the state funding of religion mounted a takeover, promising converts that they would be refunded their parish fees.

The English section of the Zuists’ website says: “The religious organisation of Zuism is a platform for its members to practise a religion of the ancient Sumerian people. Zuists fully support freedom of religion, and from religion, for everyone. The organisation’s primary objective is that the government repeal any law that grants religious organisations privilege, financial or otherwise, above other organisations. Furthermore Zuists demand that the government’s registry of its citizens’ religion will be abolished.”

Zuism, it adds, “will cease to exist when its objectives have been met”.

Some politicians have claimed that Zuism should be de-registered because it is not a true religion. “But the real question is, what is a true religious organisation and how do you measure belief?” said Thorhallsson, who describes himself as agnostic.

Perhaps surprisingly, some newly registered Zuists were also showing an interest in Sumerian worship, he added. “We had a service, with a reading of ancient Sumerian poetry. We’re planning another.”

According to article 62 of the constitution, the Evangelical Lutheran Church “shall be the State Church in Iceland and, as such, it shall be supported and protected by the State”.

Thorhallsson said: “We want people at the very least to be able to opt out [of the parish fee].” He added it was equally important that “in a modern society the state should not keep a register of people’s religious beliefs”.

Stefán Bogi Sveinsson of the Progressive party urged the Zuists to de-register as a religious movement. “No one has registered in the organisation to practice Zuism itself,” he wrote, according to a report in the Reykjavik Grapevine. “Their reasons for registering are rather twofold: to get money in their pockets, or to protest against current legislation about religious organisations.”

The Evangelical Lutheran Church had no one available to comment.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-rebates-zuism

I've always heard that those religion taxes people pay in Europe hurt religion because people resent being forced to pay a tax to support religion. In the US we don't have public support of religion. Not sure how much of this is true in this case.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

/s/ But...but...If state doesn't keep a register of peoples religious beliefs how will they know who the terrorists are?? /s/

On topic, kudos Icelanders. In my country we pay portion of the taxes directly to Vatican, which I find disgusting. I don't mind paying ''beliefs tax'', but I want to be able to opt for my share to go to organisation of my choice (charitty or scientiffic or educational institution) rather then to filty rich evil overlords in Vatican.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    A bit off topic, but of the 3/4 who are registered to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland, how many of them are actually religious, and how many of them simply do it, for cultural reasons? I remember somebody on this forum a while back was talking abotu how in his country (northern Europe don't remember which) every gets baptized and attends various sermons not because they believe, but because it is tradition and a social gathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck yeah, time to join the Church of the Light and become a paladin in real life. If a dude with a penis can be Woman of the Year, I can be a paladin.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    A bit off topic, but of the 3/4 who are registered to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland, how many of them are actually religious, and how many of them simply do it, for cultural reasons? I remember somebody on this forum a while back was talking abotu how in his country (northern Europe don't remember which) every gets baptized and attends various sermons not because they believe, but because it is tradition and a social gathering.
    I quite like having churches around for cultural reasons, I'm not religious by I still enjoy the odd village church fair and things like that

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Fuck yeah, time to join the Church of the Light and become a paladin in real life. If a dude with a penis can be Woman of the Year, I can be a paladin.
    I believe in you. Spread your wings, and smite the nonbelievers for 20% more damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?