Thread: SSD suggestion

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SSD suggestion

This is my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/silverforte/saved/hLkbt6

I have a much older HDD than the one on that list, I ended up not getting that one. I want to get a SSD for gaming and every day use. I don't really save a lot of photos or movie files, I don't use my harddrive for personal storage very often (some funny pictures now and then or mp3's).

This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6LQY/...-1393155153-20

The 250 gig version. You can change the size on the link. I need something about 250 gigs in size that won't crap out or drag its feet and fits my case/psu/motherboard. Don't know much about harddrives or SSD's so I need some help.

Thoughts? Issues I may have? Complications that may arise before I drop 90 bucks? Thanks in advance.

i am planning to get a 1Terabyte SSD, gives me more than than i need, not not small enough that i feel like i am constrained.

You are still going to need a storage drive. 120GB is not that big. By the time you put your OS and a few games on there, it will be near capacity. If you want, you can always buy a hybrid drive (which is sort of a combination SSD and HDD in one). Much cheaper than a regular SSD of the same size, and will treat your most used programs like they are on an SSD, but will have larger storage capacity.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-12-09 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    i am planning to get a 1Terabyte SSD, gives me more than than i need, not not small enough that i feel like i am constrained.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    You are still going to need a storage drive. 120GB is not that big. By the time you put your OS and a few games on there, it will be near capacity. If you want, you can always buy a hybrid drive (which is sort of a combination SSD and HDD in one). Much cheaper than a regular SSD of the same size, and will treat your most used programs like they are on an SSD, but will have larger storage capacity.
    Nah, I have a 120 gig HDD right now and I can run W7, some personal files and like two games on it as is. I only have a few games. 250 gig SSD is where I'm aiming. See, on the site I linked, you can set that drive to 250 gigs. I can use the current shitty 120 gig HDD I am using now for storage. Can't I just continue to use my current drive as is and put the SSD in the tower, then install only my games to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Nah, I have a 120 gig HDD right now and I can run W7, some personal files and like two games on it as is. I only have a few games. 250 gig SSD is where I'm aiming. See, on the site I linked, you can set that drive to 250 gigs. I can use the current shitty 120 gig HDD I am using now for storage. Can't I just continue to use my current drive as is and put the SSD in the tower, then install only my games to that?
    I would want my OS on the SSD as well. The OS is much faster and responsive on an SSD than on an HDD. To give you an idea, I can reboot my PC and be back to the desktop in less than 7 secs with mine.

That's not something I care about. I am fine with the way my OS runs. I'm only concerned about games with the new SSD I'm trying to buy. I need to know if the 250 version on the link I provided is a good SSD and if I can just slap it in there and use it WITH my currently installed HDD for only games. I don't know much about harddrives.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must highly advise installing your OS on your SSD.

You'll thank yourself later, trust me! OS won't take up too much space though.

How many/what games are you so worried about installing on your SSD, anyways?

Great pick for the SSD though, especially for the price! I've had 4 Crucial SSDs, with the oldest having gone through several firmware installations/and OS/game reinstallations (an m4 128GB) and being nearly 5 years old, and they've all served me wonderfully and continue to!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Little point in buying an SSD if you don't plan on putting your OS on it.

Regardless, Samsung is better imo
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...00OAJ412U?th=0

I just want to play games on it, nothing else. If the census is that SSD is a good choice then I'm going with it. I just need to know if it really matters if I want to just install it secondary for ONLY GAMES and use my current HDD for my OS. I hear it matters but not why it matters. What difference does it make? I thought that if I wanted to, I could install the SSD and put games on it, they'd load faster and *that* was the point. Why does my OS need to be on it?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your OS can affect how quickly you're playing games. A slow OS affects the entire user experience.

SSDs are great for games.

They're even better for games and OS! For what it's worth, you didn't answer with what games you are putting on it. You should only worry about games that you play the most often and that have a lot of load screens. WoW takes wonderful advantage of SSDs, btw.

Also, the Samsung that was advised is definitely a better deal ($75 for a 250GB!) and would give you even more room to put more games on in addition to your OS, over the 120GB.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I think Samsung 850 EVO is better.
    Last edited by George; 2015-12-09 at 07:49 AM.

Deleted
    No reason to get that crucial, the samsung is faster and cheaper, simple as that.

Indeed Samsung 850 EVOs are quite good and have served me quite well for the purpose I got em for. Certainly the "budget" SSD to get atm.

If you want better, Sandisk extreme pro might be something to look at, but personally I would only use something like that for an OS drive if I didn't have a M.2 slot.

I see, thanks for your help. Going to go with the Samsung.

I need to ask one more thing before I click purchase. On my case specifications, it says:

EXTERNAL 5.25" BAYS
    INTERNAL 3.5" BAYS

The SSD you guys recommended is 2.5". Isn't that the wrong size SSD for my case?

I need to ask one more thing before I click purchase. On my case specifications, it says:

EXTERNAL 5.25" BAYS
    INTERNAL 3.5" BAYS

The SSD you guys recommended is 2.5". Isn't that the wrong size SSD for my case?
    You just need something like this http://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Inches...2V0VZEW2DS8EJC

All of this storage installation and purchasing is new to me. Do I need anything else? Will that just slide in like the other trays once I remove one?

All of this storage installation and purchasing is new to me. Do I need anything else? Will that just slide in like the other trays once I remove one?
    That's right. You might need a sata 3 cable too. The ssd doesn't come with one, so unless you have a spare laying around you'll need to order one. This should work unless you need a longer one http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18-I...keywords=sata3

Erm, I have no idea how I got that link in my previous post, i meant to post the amazon link for you http://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Inches...ng+kit+bk-hddh

Get the ssd, the cable, and the mounting kit and you're good to go.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2015-12-11 at 06:39 PM.

Purchased. Really appreciate all the help.

Deleted
    If you buy an SSD and don't put your OS on it, you're just plain stupid, simple as that.

Edit: Didn't mean to flame here, i was just talking in general not directly to the OP. Excuse me.

Infracted
    Last edited by mmoc080187d99c; 2015-12-11 at 09:08 PM.