Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why are there children in Dalaran? o_O

So I just watched this comparision of old and new Dalaran:

I noticed one thing - there are children running on the streets.

Who the hell takes children to a war with demons? What are they smoking at Blizzard HQ? o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    There have always been children stuck in the middle of war zones, guess blizzard didn't want the soon to be orphans, or dead orphans to feel left out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Mages get horny too. And you can't just drop them into sea.

sigh... you really asking a question about a fantasy game. sigh...

Deleted
    I had not seen that video before.

That is the most underwhelming bit of content recycling I have ever seen. They added some props to the places inside and redid the lighting. The end.

The stormwind remake (when they remade it flight proof) was quite significant, same for orgrimmar. This is just meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.
    Although I did love Dalaran itself, going back there will not feel new or fresh in any way.

What cities will they recycle in the upcoming years? pffffft...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post

That is the most underwhelming bit of content recycling I have ever seen. They added some props to the places inside and redid the lighting. The end.

The stormwind remake (when they remade it flight proof) was quite significant, same for orgrimmar. This is just meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.
    Although I did love Dalaran itself, going back there will not feel new or fresh in any way.

Shrine of Eternal Blossoms. This time it will be inverted upside down.

Deleted
    I suppose because it's first and foremost a city, and only secondarily a tool of war. People just live in the city and don't necessarily have anywhere else they can go. Or maybe they are (over)confident in their defensive capabilities and don't think it'll be a problem. Or maybe it's like star trek and they just like to have their family with them on long duration deployments even tho a warp core breach occurs every other episode.

On the other hand, the Legion destroyed Dalaran with ONE spell/ritual in war3, so you'd think they would have learned their lesson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also seems a bit odd to me. Moving Dalaran was a conscious decision - however, it may be a bit like Hogwarts - where else would the children be safer than at headquarters? Dalaran is getting extensive magical protection to shield it from being one-shot by major demons or attacked by felbats/infernals.

I also must say I would have preferred to have a new capital city of Elven design.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2015-12-10 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Im pretty sure thats for another thread, but they have redone a lot of the textures, just because the road isn't noticeably blue and is still red, doesn't mean they haven't done anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AssasinxXx View Post
    Im pretty sure thats for another thread, but they have redone a lot of the textures, just because the road isn't noticeably blue and is still red, doesn't mean they haven't done anything.
    Yeah, you're right, that's for another thread. It was just the first reaction that seeing this vid caused in me. Sorry for that.

As for the children, I think I've seen them running about in capital cities before. Stormwind and Shattrath for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    So I just watched this comparision of old and new Dalaran:

I noticed one thing - there are children running on the streets.

Who the hell takes children to a war with demons? What are they smoking at Blizzard HQ? o_O
    Of course there are children, Dalaran is basically a flying university, with families and all that stuff, not to mention they wouldn't be safer anywhere on the globe with the legion around, invading all across the globe.

Demons are attacking everywhere. We'll only see them in the Broken Isles most of the time because there's no old world overhaul, but there's no place safe now. If anything, as much of a target as it is, Dalaran's probably the least dangerous place because of its magical defenses and all of the heroes gathering there.

People procreate. In every city are children. Do you expect a pregnant mage woman to leave the city?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Maybe you could stick to the topic and not go off on some tangent. There's other threads for that.

Dalaran is a city. I suppose they didn't feel like kicking all the families living in it out.

They must have heard Draka's speech to Thrall.

Early on in the Frostfire Ridge quest chain for horde, Draka asks Thrall why he doesn't have a mate. He says he does but she's at home caring for their little ones and are safe. Draka then tells him that it's in times of war that his family should be with him. Thrall's not sure how to respond, but this explains why Aggra shows up later in Nagrand although still childless.

Put simply, they have no idea how long the campaign against the Legion will be. It could be years. War is a high stress situation so to have your family close not only causes you to fight harder because your family is right in the thick of it but also gives you a sense of comfort because you can return to them on a semi-regular basis.

I'm surprised we didn't see children in the WotLK Dalaran honestly. The only kids in Northrend besides the one watching Old Blanchy in Grizzly Hills are at the Argent Tournament.

While on one hand it makes sense to not have children in a warzone, on the other, it does make sense. It depends on how you look at it. How often are soldiers these days sent off to war and miss the birth of their child and even their first year or two? How many fathers miss pivotal years of their children's lives because they're off fighting in wars? They often get homesick which has led to skype being commonly used, but talking over the internet isn't the same as seeing them in person. Touching someone can go a long way to reducing stress and calming someone down. Seems Blizzard's changing gears after ignoring children in the game for so long.

Children are also a good way to show the passage of time. Blizzard could have had the two kids that chase each other in Stormwind grow up along with Anduin and show the boy eventually become a soldier who fights alongside us in the Broken Isles with the girl either at his side or his wife waiting in Dalaran for him to return while their son and daughter (who would most likely be twins just to avoid age issues) chase each other through Dalaran. No idea if the two kids are related or not. I've always assumed they weren't and were just orphans. But it's rather stupid that the only kid that seems to grow up is Anduin. The two that chase each other were kids along with Anduin so they should be adults by now, too, and yet they're stuck in time still chasing each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    People procreate. In every city are children. Do you expect a pregnant mage woman to leave the city?
    Yes? Dalaran is basically becoming a war ship. It's not exactly like transportation in the WoW universe is restricted they have portals to evacuate citizens.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When a mommy mage and a daddy mage love each other very much...

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    Yes? Dalaran is basically becoming a war ship. It's not exactly like transportation in the WoW universe is restricted they have portals to evacuate citizens.
    It's still a city. In every warzone are kids.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

In some of the worst warzones...kids are soldiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragons. In mailboxes. That's why.