10+ Year Old Account

Best video editing software?

So I recently started a gaming channel and I'm currently using an old version of Adobe Premiere Pro to edit my videos. I'm wondering if I should switch to a more recent version or something else entirely. I've been looking at AVS Video Editor and Sony Vegas but I'm not sure if it's worth learning a new software? If I were to stick to Premiere, what are the advantages of using a newer version? Are there more options for video format/quality? Which version is the best? Or if you think I should switch to a different program, which one would you recommend?

I want to be able to add at least two audio tracks (music and commentary) and choose the bitrate and everything when I compress so I don't end up with ridiculous file sizes.

I'm on Windows 7, if it makes a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Cut and Sony Vegas. I'll leave this video here and you can make your judgement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Cut is for Mac, right? And yeah, I looked into Sony Vegas a little bit but it doesn't seem to do anything that Premiere can't do so I'm not sure I want to learn how to use it since I already know how to use Premiere. I'm a bit hesitant to switch to a newer version of Premiere though because I don't like what they've done to the interface, but at the same time, I wonder if I'm missing out on super useful features or more options regarding quality/file size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know what those super useful features are? Cause if not just use what you got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Do you know what those super useful features are? Cause if not just use what you got.
    Not really, lol, that's why I was asking.

I've used Vegas for years; overall found it to have the best mix of quality and simplicity. Yeah it's a bit complicated at first, but you can easily google anything you don't know how to do.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're like me and hate the idea of pirating software but want something that is good quality for the money, I actually have found I really like Corel VideoStudio Pro X8. Got it for well under $100 and was genuinely surprised at how much it offers! It can make videos up to (maybe above in the future?) 4k with high quality video results and audio. I had Sony's cheaper than Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 13 and frankly, the fact it wouldn't import .avi properly and I had to use HandBrake on them and make them into something like mp4 to edit in Movie Studio... well, how about not.

I've finally moved up from Windows Movie Maker and it's to something far cheaper and better than probably most people will realize, because most people have probably never considered it/heard of it.

To provide an example, here's a video I made recently of a replay in my SC2 game. Depending on how much you want in your video editing, like special effects, Corel may or may not be the way to go - it does have special effects, though!

Go ahead and tell me how bad I am at SC2. :P I just got back into it. lol
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2015-12-12 at 10:14 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To provide an example, here's a video I made recently of a replay in my SC2 game. Depending on how much you want in your video editing, like special effects, Corel may or may not be the way to go - it does have special effects, though!

Go ahead and tell me how bad I am at SC2. :P I just got back into it. lol
    Haha, it's okay, I just got back into it as well cause I was waiting for the Protoss campaign.

And I've never been a fan of Corel for photo editing but I've never seen their video editor so I'll definitely check it out. I don't care that much about special effects - I just want to be able to add both commentary and music (I'm looking at you, Windows Movie Maker!) and work with mp4 files without any problems and without ending up with gigantic file sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Final Cut and Sony Vegas. I'll leave this video here and you can make your judgement.
    The fuck is up with that video.
    That's not what my interface looked like when I picked up Adobe Premiere. (But that may be because we have different versions)
    Also, it says that editing MP4 is going to get the Audio and video out of sync, something that Ive never seen, despite having edited many MP4 videos in Premiere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Also, it says that editing MP4 is going to get the Audio and video out of sync, something that Ive never seen, despite having edited many MP4 videos in Premiere.
    I've never had that problem either. Probably something to do with codecs, not Premiere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    Haha, it's okay, I just got back into it as well cause I was waiting for the Protoss campaign.

And I've never been a fan of Corel for photo editing but I've never seen their video editor so I'll definitely check it out. I don't care that much about special effects - I just want to be able to add both commentary and music (I'm looking at you, Windows Movie Maker!) and work with mp4 files without any problems and without ending up with gigantic file sizes.
    Yeah Windows Movie Maker is incredibly backwards thinking in some regards. -.- iMovie, FROM LIKE 2005 had more options! Sheesh.

This Corel program lets you add something like 20 different audio tracks! Also, at least a couple different video sources, but I bet you could do more if wanted.
    "A flower.

Final Cut for Mac

Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere for Windows

They all cost a lot. Well, at least these seem to be the most popular, I'm sure there's alternatives out there that aren't Windows Movie Maker.

Really, if your current version of Premiere is doing everything you need, I see no reason to upgrade or switch to another editor.
    Last edited by apoe; 2015-12-13 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apoe View Post
    Final Cut for Mac

Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere for Windows

They all cost a lot. Well, at least these seem to be the most popular, I'm sure there's alternatives out there that aren't Windows Movie Maker.
    See my post.
    Also, they cost a lot, thus no one seems to actually pay for them. This is why I went the Corel route.
    "A flower.

See my post.
    Also, they cost a lot, thus no one seems to actually pay for them. This is why I went the Corel route.
    It's only $50 on Amazon right now... tempting ><

I had Sony's cheaper than Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 13 and frankly, the fact it wouldn't import .avi properly and I had to use HandBrake on them and make them into something like mp4 to edit in Movie Studio... well, how about not.
    Interesting, I use Movie Studio 12 and I haven't had any issues importing my Dxtory avi files, despite them being 3840x1080 with 4 audio streams. Perhaps it had something to do with the software you used to create the avis in the first place?

If you're like me and hate the idea of pirating software but want something that is good quality for the money, I actually have found I really like Corel VideoStudio Pro X8. Got it for well under $100 and was genuinely surprised at how much it offers! It can make videos up to (maybe above in the future?) 4k with high quality video results and audio.
    Wait, Corel Video Studio can render to 4k? That's one thing about Movie Studio that somewhat annoyed me, it's limited to 1920x1080. So I always have to crop my widescreen source files. (Of course it's probably better for anyone without a wide/surround setup to prevent letterboxing.)

This Corel program lets you add something like 20 different audio tracks! Also, at least a couple different video sources, but I bet you could do more if wanted.
    Is that having 20 source audio tracks or create videos with multiple audio tracks? I've considered making videos with different audio tracks (game sounds, music, commentary?), but I'm not quite sure how. That might be more for container formats (MKV?) rather than the encoding from Corel / Movie Studio, though.

Yeah Windows Movie Maker is incredibly backwards thinking in some regards. -.- iMovie, FROM LIKE 2005 had more options! Sheesh.
    Window's Movie Maker is pretty heinous for anything other than the most basic videos. Eugh! :|

Deleted
    Sony movie studio 13 platinum allows for 4 k editting and render output as well, should be the cheaper option for you to upgrade to it however 4 k is the maximum resolution it can output.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Interesting, I use Movie Studio 12 and I haven't had any issues importing my Dxtory avi files, despite them being 3840x1080 with 4 audio streams. Perhaps it had something to do with the software you used to create the avis in the first place?

Wait, Corel Video Studio can render to 4k? That's one thing about Movie Studio that somewhat annoyed me, it's limited to 1920x1080. So I always have to crop my widescreen source files. (Of course it's probably better for anyone without a wide/surround setup to prevent letterboxing.)

Is that having 20 source audio tracks or create videos with multiple audio tracks? I've considered making videos with different audio tracks (game sounds, music, commentary?), but I'm not quite sure how. That might be more for container formats (MKV?) rather than the encoding from Corel / Movie Studio, though.

Window's Movie Maker is pretty heinous for anything other than the most basic videos. Eugh! :|
    A) 3840x1080 is not a normal video size, so no matter what you use, it'll look weird. I suppose if you render it at 4k it will just have GIANT black bars.

B) Yessir.

C) I think? Like I think you can literally add up to 20 something different tracks to play with. Corel seems to be coded pretty well and if you have the RAMs, well, then enjoy!

D) Yeah. I had to switch it manually to making videos .wma and go into the actual .txt files for the video profiles and switch them to 2560x1440. I think you can maybe do this for getting 4k, but it's still not legit.
    "A flower.