Hotspots and GW2

Well I am able to play WoW on my hotspot and barely burn much data. However, my experience with GW2 is that just the update downloads during startup (of which Anet does a lot) add in significant amounts of data and stress the data package. I have no way of finding out how much data load a given update will impose, AFAIK. This makes me leery about the game on a hotspot.

Which is unfortunate because I love it and now rue needing to be on a hotspot.

Not really sure what I'm asking for here other than any kind of contradictory information on update data loads. To me they seem like a lot, but perhaps they are not? I appreciate that Anet does so much updating. Just not sure I can absorb it. Nor do I know of any way to check online as to how much each update is (which makes sense given that the vast majority are on broadband).

Yea, the game updates a lot. Almost every time I load GW2 it needs to download something. Super annoying. But not as annoying as the over zealous account security that freaks the eff out nearly every time I try to play the game.

It's just kinda awful.

What is a Hotspot? Internet cafe where you buy a certain ammount of data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    What is a Hotspot? Internet cafe where you buy a certain ammount of data?
    It's internet provided by your phone or tablet's cellular data plan. Often, at least in the US, hotspot usage is separate from mobile data usage under your cell plan. Hotspot data use having a cap most often.

Because hotspot usage has a cap typically the OP is concerned about all the data GW2 loads in the background while playing and the update frequency.

Depending on location hotspot usage can be as good as DSL or U-verse. Usually it is included (up tp a cap) for free with any run-of-the-mill cell plan. So people use it where and when internet is not available directly by turning their phone or tablet into pocket a router & modem, basically.

Hotspots can be used as direct LAN-like connect (tethering) or as Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-12-13 at 09:38 PM.