Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

How do those in Europe / UK feel about this?

Do you find this level of gear appropriate for a train station? (edit: corrected from assumption it was a mall)

Do you find this an acceptable response for a rare event like terrorism?
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-12-14 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You mean as a response to London going on a terror alert after a knife attack? Sure.
    Aren't knife attacks a bit more common than just related to terrorism?

Edit: This is just the first article from Google, I have no idea if the information within is accurate.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattves...rging-n2026497

In fact, with no guns readily available, though there are gun crimes in the UK, knives seem to be the weapon of choice. This isn't surprising. The rise in knife attacks has been in the UK press since 2008–and they’ve increased by 13 percent since last year
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-12-14 at 01:29 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If there's a specific threat, yes. Not as an everyday thing.

I don't consider "terrorism could strike anytime, anywhere" a specific threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If there's a specific threat, yes. Not as an everyday thing.

I don't consider "terrorism could strike anytime, anywhere" a specific threat.
    So you are OK with a military level response being deployed for a terror alert regarding knife attacks?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I just want to make sure the answer is clarified.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean as a response to London going on a terror alert after a knife attack? Sure.
    A knife-attack warrants guns of that caliber? You could take out a small crowd with that gun, with one of those guns.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Aren't knife attacks a bit more common than just related to terrorism?
    That wasn't just a knife attack. The guy yelled "this is for Syria" or something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    That wasn't just a knife attack. The guy yelled "this is for Syria" or something like this.
    So? It was still with a knife. I wasn't aware a crazy guy with a knife mandated a militarized police force.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    So why was this knife attack worse than the thousands that happen ever year prior to and up to this event?

Because a select choice of words was yelled before he cut and stabbed people?

I wonder how the other people who have been injured or the family members of those killed by knives would feel about your statement.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you are OK with a military level response being deployed for a terror alert regarding knife attacks?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I just want to make sure the answer is clarified.
    Not specifically for knife attacks, no, but I would assume they have a standard kit that they use to respond to threats of terror attacks or other threats of public rampages.

If they receive info that a group is going to go to a mall and slash up random people, I don't see the problem with having such heavy security until the threat is over. Might deter them from trying, and if they do, shooting them with a rifle is no different than shooting them with a gun.

It's just important that whatever they carry, they have proper training.

- - - Updated - - -

So why was this knife attack worse than the thousands that happen ever year prior to and up to this event?

Because a select choice of words was yelled before he cut and stabbed people?

I wonder how the other people who have been injured or the family members of those killed by knives would feel about your statement.
    Most knife attacks aren't by people going into crowd and trying to kill indiscriminately though.

Seems a bit overboard to reply to knives with sub machine guns, the proper escalation for knives would be deploying armored knights with longswords
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't a shopping mall, it's a train station.

We sometimes have armed police - SO19 I believe - at high risk areas when there is a heightened level of alert.

Deleted

Do you find this level of gear appropriate for a mall?

Do you find this an acceptable response for a rare event like terrorism?
    Thats an either an airport, Heathrow Terminal 5 or its Liverpool ST train station.
    Last edited by mmoc6ac2e31c48; 2015-12-14 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Seems a bit overboard to reply to knives with sub machine guns, the proper escalation for knives would be deploying armored knights with longswords
    The original picture is not a sub machine gun, that is a full blown battle rifle.

(the picture of the Germans is an SMG though)

The caliber difference is drastic.

We don't even recommend 5.56 cartridges for home defense here in the United States because of serious over penetration issues.

SMG's on the other hand are generally chambered in pistol calibers (an SMG is basically an automatic pistol with a bigger magazine and a butt stock at its core) and is a very good tool for close quarters or crowded areas.

Examples, MP5, MP7, PS90, CZ Scorpion EVO, etc etc
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-12-14 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    I don't care? They are labourers just like the rest of us, carrying their tools of the trade, and I am trusting enough of our police force to evaluate what tools are needed for the job.

Deleted
    Ah i see the purple banner. It was the ceiling, they all look so similar Thank you

The original picture is not a sub machine gun, that is a full blown battle rifle.

We don't even recommend 5.56 cartridges for home defense here in the United States because of serious over penetration issues.

SMG's on the other hand are generally chambered in pistol calibers (an SMG is basically an automatic pistol with a bigger magazine and a butt stock at its core) and is a very good tool for close quarters or crowded areas.

Yeah, the German police picture looks like an MP5, didn't read the mention that that pic was from Germany before posting X_X

Also, for a few years after 9/11, it wasn't uncommon to see National Guard soldiers around Penn Station/Grand Central in full combat dress and holding M4A1s
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

He put a pretty crappy scope on the ar-15, no backup sights on it either. I think he was going for the look over performance. I would have put an aimpoint red dot on it with some troy industries flip up sights as backups.

Deleted
    I do not feel comfortable around them when it happens, but I understand it can be required to have security armed like that in high risk places like airports/train stations/whatever. Especially in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    He put a pretty crappy scope on the ar-15, no backup sights on it either. I think he was going for the look over performance. I would have put an aimpoint red dot on it with some troy industries flip up sights as backups.
    I'm pretty sure that is a Leupold optic. They are not cheap. It also appears to have a Leupold MRDS as a backup (its on a canted rail by his forward hand). Again, not cheap.

I use a Meprolight M21 on my Scorpion EVO and at $500 its probably half or one third the cost of his optic. Maybe more.

Edit: Yea that Leupold scope is about $1,200 from what I can find on Google.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-12-14 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it is coupled with "he was carrying out an attack 'for Syria and his brothers in Syria'"? Yes, it warrants a more effective deterrent to prevent escalation.
    Uh huh. Why haven't you just nuked London for "security" already? I mean, you can't up the ante much more than that, so if you're going to the play the one-up-manship game, you might as well play for keeps.

Just, be kind.