Hard drive broke, what would be a good replacement

The other day I turned on my computer to find that windows wouldn't start. So I tried doing a startup repair, system restore, and starting the computer in safe mode and they all failed. I'm assuming it is caused because my hard drive has crapped out. I was wondering what a good replacement might be. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I also don't want a piece of junk. My current build is below:

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45
    Processor: Intel i3 2100
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870

Any help would be appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $49.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-14 11:51 EST-0500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

You could use the opportunity to get an SSD for your OS driver something like a 240GB Samsung 850 EVO and add the above posters one for storage. Both can easily be reused if/when you upgrade your machine.

Sorry noob question, but is any SATA drive compatible with my motherboard?

Yes, any drive will work with your motherboard.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung 850 EVO is the best value SSD money can buy currently. You can get a 500GB for $160 or a 250GB for under $100. It will really wake your system up and breathe some life in to it.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

10+ Year Old Account
    You can currently also get a Crucial BX200 250GB for $65, and a 500gb for $130 on amazon right now.

Samsung EVO's and Crucial SSD's are pretty much all I buy these days.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'd say just get a smaller SSD for your OS drive and a bigass mechanical hard drive for storage. That's what I've been doing for a good while. Actually still running with my 128GB OCZ Vertex III that I've had since 2011 (which is apparently a miracle, considering all the negative stuff I've read about OCZ's SSDs) and a 1TB hard drive for storage.

The drives chazus and krognam mentioned are good for SSDs.

For storage, the 1TB WD Blue is decent. It's a pretty reliable 1TB drive that you can get for less than $60. Been running with mine for almost 2 years and haven't had any trouble at all with it. 1TB SSDs are more available these days, but that kind of capacity is still a little expensive (the ones I know of are usually north of $300).

But seriously...once you get used to SSDs, you will never go back.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-17 at 06:08 PM.

Its 2015 now, everyone should have a decent sized SSD for their main drive and a big "1/2TB" HDD for their junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedrich View Post
    Its 2015 now, everyone should have a decent sized SSD for their main drive and a big "1/2TB" HDD for their junk.
    Especially with how much less they're costing now, and if you need more space, you can always get an internal/external HDD.

Did you try doing a fresh windows install first? All the things you mentioned doesn't necessarily mean its broke. It is a good possibility, but not certain. Also make sure the sata and power cables are connected properly, just in case.