Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

need advice on ps4

i consider buying ps4. im a PC gamer and this is gonna be pretty much my first console, not counting ps2 over 10 years ago without internet connection.

as im totally new to console world i have couple of questions.
    what exactly do i need in order to start playing lets say destiny or multiplayer call of duty except for the game and console itself ?

do u just plug in a cable or mobile modem and its ready to go or do u need to calibrate something ?
    also is psn subscription necessary to play games online like cod or destiny like it was in case of xbox360 ? i know ps3 didnt require that and playing multiplayer was free.

any other info about consoles is welcome

thanks in advance

in order to play games online on PS4, you need the system, the game you want to play and an active subscription to Playstation Plus whcih is another $49.99 a year. If you're primarily a PC gamer I would personally skip this generation of consoles. Most of the AAA games coming out are hitting PC too, obviously aside from exclusives. However neither console has amazing exclusives anymore. I find myself playing multiplats more than anything. As far as setup goes, you can connect wired or wirelessly with the PS4 as well, just go into settings then find network settings and you go about that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    what exactly do i need in order to start playing lets say destiny or multiplayer call of duty except for the game and console itself ?
    Some sort of Internet connection?

do u just plug in a cable or mobile modem and its ready to go or do u need to calibrate something ?
    Yes, or you can use wifi. Nothing out of the ordinary.

also is psn subscription necessary to play games online like cod or destiny like it was in case of xbox360 ? i know ps3 didnt require that and playing multiplayer was free.
    Yes, you need PS Plus:

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...-Requirements/
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Also keep in mind that for long term mouse users, a console controller is nightmare, especially in shooting games. If you are a competitive player, it might annoy you. It's gonna take sometime before getting used to. I've been playing in consoles casually for years now, I am a terrible shooter when it comes to consoles.

Imo, console experience is unique and you should definitely get one. Playing games on 55" TV from your couch is priceless :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    in order to play games online on PS4, you need the system, the game you want to play and an active subscription to Playstation Plus whcih is another $49.99 a year. If you're primarily a PC gamer I would personally skip this generation of consoles. Most of the AAA games coming out are hitting PC too, obviously aside from exclusives. However neither console has amazing exclusives anymore. I find myself playing multiplats more than anything. As far as setup goes, you can connect wired or wirelessly with the PS4 as well, just go into settings then find network settings and you go about that way.
    Uncharted is a PS4 exclusive. Perhaps, the biggest exclusive title. It's a shame PC players can't experience it. I find its multiplayer quite entertaining.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-12-14 at 09:12 PM.

I moved this to General Video Game Discussion as a heads up, as you'd get more answers there and it's the correct forum. To answer a bit more too like others have-

Like others have said, you need PS Plus, it's $60 for a year which is the best choice honestly, since the rest are like $10 for a single month, $15 (or $17, I forget) for 3 months. Also PS Plus gives a few games for free each month.

Wi-Fi works fine, unless you want to use remote play if you have a Playstation Vita, which allows you to play a good amount of PS4 games through the internet on your Vita wherever you are. In that case, you'd need to just plug it right into the modem.

Bloodborne is worth the cost of a PS4 and the game imo. Opinions will vary but the PS will have big exclusives that make owning one worthwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    plug in the PS4 to your modem or router (preferably modem, and NO WIFI in my experience, and if you really know what you're doing, put your PS4 in the DMZ for best experience)
    Also, if you're going to play multiplayer games you need a subscription on PSplus, if you look at the right places you can get a year for like 30ish euros.
    Note that you DONT NEED PSplus if you only play single player games, and use the PS4 for netflix for example. PSplus is for multiplayer gaming only. Also with a PSplus sub you get a few games for free each month. Some are cool, others suck. Each to their own taste really.
    This month's PSplus free games lineup is

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, PS3
    Freedom Wars, PS Vita
    Gauntlet: Slayer Edition, PS4
    King’s Quest — Chapter 1: A Knight to Remember, PS4
    Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken, PS Vita
    SSX, PS3
    Last edited by Huntaer; 2015-12-14 at 10:09 PM.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like most of your questions should have been answered, but really do your research before you buy a PS4. Make sure there are enough games that interest you. Personally I am glad I bought a PS4, as I have gotten at least 5 games worth of time out of Bloodborne alone, but not a lot of people would agree that a console is worth a handful of games or hell, just one. So in the end it really is up to you and how much you are willing to invest in the games you see that you like.

I regret buying it for MGS5. I think I'll change my mind once I get around to opening my Bloodborne CE though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Imo, console experience is unique and you should definitely get one. Playing games on 55" TV from your couch is priceless :P
    Not much different than playing a PC game on your TV, except for the price if you already have a PC (if you already have, all you need is a cable and a controller). Mine has everything needed for me to play games on a tons of " screen (projector) from my couch. Don't really see the appeal of current consoles, very few interesting exclusivities, nothing spectacular graphics-wise, relatively expensive. Also I'm not sure when paying to be able to play online became the norm, but there's no way I'd spend $60 a year for it (had almost every major console except latest generation, played online only on 360 when Microsoft messed up and gave me a free access for 2 years).

Seems to be the only great thing about all those shitty port from console we get on PC, at least we can play these easily on a "console-like" environment since controls are already made for that.
    Oh, hi.

i consider buying ps4. im a PC gamer and this is gonna be pretty much my first console, not counting ps2 over 10 years ago without internet connection.

any other info about consoles is welcome

thanks in advance
    1.Buy System.
    2.Buy Game.
    3.Buy Playstation Plus($50 A year).
    4.Connect to the Interner via wireless or wired connect. I highly recommend wired because the wireless on ps4 is shit.
    5.Must have a HD TV or something you can hook it to via HD.
    6.Profit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Bloodborne and Naughty dog games are the best reason to get a PS4. I find I don't play my ps4 all that much but when I do its enjoyable. Looking forward to dark souls 3 on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love my PS4. Don't let PC snobs deter you. This gen of consoles are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Love my PS4. Don't let PC snobs deter you. This gen of consoles are quite good.
    The consoles are utter crap actually(I own both, and both have been terrible investments). As a whole the games that I will play more than once are all multiplat and also on PC. The only exception is Halo 5. From a power standpoint the consoles are a joke. The are insanely underpowered and struggling to hit 1080p 60FPS on a stable rate. That should not be acceptable for consoles today when PC's have been doing 1080/60 for quite a few years now and are moving towards 4k. So it's not a point of being a snob, it's the point that these consoles are ultimately garbage from a hardware standpoint. I still enjoy them for what they are, but they are still far from good. And that's thanks to major exclusives taking two plus years to finally be released, with the exception of a few since the 2013 release of both consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    The consoles are utter crap actually(I own both, and both have been terrible investments). As a whole the games that I will play more than once are all multiplat and also on PC. The only exception is Halo 5. From a power standpoint the consoles are a joke. The are insanely underpowered and struggling to hit 1080p 60FPS on a stable rate. That should not be acceptable for consoles today when PC's have been doing 1080/60 for quite a few years now and are moving towards 4k. So it's not a point of being a snob, it's the point that these consoles are ultimately garbage from a hardware standpoint. I still enjoy them for what they are, but they are still far from good. And that's thanks to major exclusives taking two plus years to finally be released, with the exception of a few since the 2013 release of both consoles.
    Framerate doesn't matter on console.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Framerate doesn't matter on console.
    Depends on a lot of things. On an average TV, sitting relatively far away from it, then yes, it doesn't matter.

With a good screen (and TV screens are getting better and cheaper really fast), or sitting anywhere close to it, then a poor framerate is as noticeable as on PC.
    Oh, hi.

You do realize you just posted a whole lot of opinion, right?

Granted, it was a bit uncalled for to say "PC snobs" I guess, but just because there's only one exclusive you want doesn't mean there isn't reasons to get a console.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss being single and having both major consoles, and a PC. I played everything I ever wanted.
    Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You do realize you just posted a whole lot of opinion, right?

Granted, it was a bit uncalled for to say "PC snobs" I guess, but just because there's only one exclusive you want doesn't mean there isn't reasons to get a console.
    The only opinion piece was about the games. However, give me between both systems 10 AAA games I won't be able to play on PC. Right now all I can think of are Halo 5, Forza 6, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne. While there are more coming out in the coming years, as we speak now there isn't much that you can't also play on PC. As far as me talking hardware, that is not opinion at all. A lot of games are 900 or 720 now because these consoles can't handle 1080p/60 stably. That's not saying there are zero games for either system that can run 1080/60 but the newer games that are more graphically taxing are being reduced to 900 on PS4 and 720 on xbox. Meanwhile I don't think I've played anything under 1080 on my PC in at least...if I had to honestly guess...six to eight years. I don't even recall. The hardware for these systems is junk, that much isn't opinion it is fact. I do know there are reasons to own the consoles, however with this gen seeing more PC ports, the reasons are becoming less and less.

Yea guys, most games that come out on PS4 come out on PC. Except the guys stating this don't get the point.

Infamous Second Son
    Bloodborne
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Uncharted 4
    Until Dawn
    The Last Guardian
    Ni-Oh
    Persona 5
    Gravity Rush 2
    Yakuza 0
    Ni No Kuni 2
    Nier Automata
    Star Ocean 5
    God of War
    Ratchet & Clank
    Sly Cooper
    Project Setsuna
    Detroit

All games already out or coming out in the next 24 months(most far less time then that) that you will only be able to play on PS4.

Also that is just the games that I am sure won't leave the console, not even counting the ones I doubt will be ported to PC but have a chance at it like KH, FF, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The only opinion piece was about the games. However, give me between both systems 10 AAA games I won't be able to play on PC. Right now all I can think of are Halo 5, Forza 6, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne. While there are more coming out in the coming years, as we speak now there isn't much that you can't also play on PC. As far as me talking hardware, that is not opinion at all. A lot of games are 900 or 720 now because these consoles can't handle 1080p/60 stably. That's not saying there are zero games for either system that can run 1080/60 but the newer games that are more graphically taxing are being reduced to 900 on PS4 and 720 on xbox. Meanwhile I don't think I've played anything under 1080 on my PC in at least...if I had to honestly guess...six to eight years. I don't even recall. The hardware for these systems is junk, that much isn't opinion it is fact. I do know there are reasons to own the consoles, however with this gen seeing more PC ports, the reasons are becoming less and less.
    I can count the PS4 games that run at sub 1080 on one hand and they're all 3rd party shit by publishers notorious for rushing games out(Ubisoft and EA). These same games aren't exactly optimized great on PC either for the most part.