Saw the new Mario Bros. movie and.....it's just another Illumination movie. More overpriced celebrities that barely try, a plot and story that is so by the numbers a calculator could figure out the ending, the sound track is obvnoxious, and jokes that are so eye rolling that my eyes could win gold at the next olympics. The only thing this had differently was the voice acting was easily the worst thing about it where only like three celebs were trying, and somehow Jack Black was in 3rd place, where you don't see the character talking you see Chris Pratt just collecting a paycheck as he sits in a booth and "acts" "Italian." The amount of references this movie has was a little annoying. I'm all for easter eggs in films, but when the first 30 minutes are nothing but those it shows they're more interested in filling every frame with small touches rather than looking at the big picture of the motion picture.

I knew it wouldn't be great, but holy crap was it a bit of a slog to get through.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Saw the new Mario Bros. movie and.....it's just another Illumination movie. More overpriced celebrities that barely try, a plot and story that is so by the numbers a calculator could figure out the ending, the sound track is obvnoxious, and jokes that are so eye rolling that my eyes could win gold at the next olympics. The only thing this had differently was the voice acting was easily the worst thing about it where only like three celebs were trying, and somehow Jack Black was in 3rd place, where you don't see the character talking you see Chris Pratt just collecting a paycheck as he sits in a booth and "acts" "Italian." The amount of references this movie has was a little annoying. I'm all for easter eggs in films, but when the first 30 minutes are nothing but those it shows they're more interested in filling every frame with small touches rather than looking at the big picture of the motion picture.

I knew it wouldn't be great, but holy crap was it a bit of a slog to get through.
    Sir, this is a Wendy's MLP thread.
    Last edited by Armael; 2023-12-15 at 08:38 AM.

I think that was a bit harsh. It was as servicable as the Sonic movies. If they're going to do adaptations for all age audience video games, I think keeping it simple is the right idea rather than trying to change too much.

Brr, Old Live Action Sonic Design. I still see him in my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I think that was a bit harsh. It was as servicable as the Sonic movies. If they're going to do adaptations for all age audience video games, I think keeping it simple is the right idea rather than trying to change too much.

Brr, Old Live Action Sonic Design. I still see him in my dreams.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/hGZ4bRi.png[/IG]
    Thing is I enjoyed the Sonic movies, and while the first is incredibly average with Carry pulling most of the weight and the second having a strange romantic comedy 2/3's in I found both much more enjoyable than the Mario movie. They have an actor voicing Sonic that actually sounds like they belong playing the character, Jim Carry is great playing a bad guy, and it's not slamming in reference after reference in order to meet an executive's arbitrary expectations.

I just didn't like how they seemed more interested in creating a Mario Universe movie, or the Nintendo cinematic universe, more than a Mario movie. What's the difference you may ask? One focuses on the characters rather than shuffling them off to every single destination/character in order to sell the most toys (the Gen 4 MLP movie had this same problem.) Was Donkey Kong and Mario Kart necessary for this? Did they need to push a Mario Galaxy reference so hard that it even has a musical cue to note its importance? Neither pushed the story further nor did they impact anything in the end as a reason to introduce them. The only reason to do so is to push a universe, as though this movie wasn't going to make a billion dollars anyway.

Illumination has made all of about one good movie, Despicable Me, with the rest being the same thing again and again. It's lowest common denominator movies made the cheapest possible in order to maximize profits, and with the same rules to follow between huge numbers of celebrities and pop music galore (What does Take on Me have to do with the Jungle Kingdom? Why does Thunderstruck need to play for 12 seconds during a small montage?) The writing is the same quality in every one and at this point it's almost painful.

I'm tired of these no effort films and Illumination is one of the studios that thrives off of them, like Michael Bay.

Saw the new TMNT movie. I hate to say it, but that movie has some quality. I was expecting another awful Seth Rogan take on something from the 80's, thanks to his recent Rescue Rangers movie being an awful version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. This movie though had actual quality, the dialogue and voice acting was on point, though they sure as shit didn't need a dozen celebs to voice characters with 6 lines each. The turtle's actors were great, very believable as the characters and helped you get engrossed into their antics and story. The art style of the movie is great, and while a few minor things felt like they didn't need to be stylized as much or at all, it felt fresh to see something that wasn't trying to be diet Pixar.

There were a few eye rolling references that felt so forced you'd think a Jedi was responsible. Jackie Chan as Splinter worked really well, though I don't think they actually said his name once throughout the movie. Of course there's sequel bait at the end, but that's not surprising. All in all if you like the TMNT I'd say give it a shot.

Leo, the new animated movie from Adam Sandler, also surprised me a bit. I was expecting his usual "not give a shit, but coast off of my success from the 90s" style that stained him from the mid oughts through the 10's, but this movie had some decent morals when it came to children, what they go through, and how just listening can help them. It bills itself as a musical and while it has songs in it you won't remember them one bit and that a couple of them felt unneeded. Sandler though does his usual "I do a silly voice, and that's the character" but it works just enough where it's not annoying. His daughters do play two characters and knowing that at the end of the movie with their names being first in the credits makes you sorta hate this movie a little, thanks to the nepotism.

Nothing terrible, but nothing breathtaking, just a decent movie that you won't hate.

Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget. For those that remember the original it was weird learning this was getting a sequel last month just before this was coming out. I can't say this movie is all that spectacular; to the point that it feels like a retread of the first in many respects, but it oddly has less charm. Many of the voice cast has been changed. It's nice to see some stop motion once again, but honestly this movie was plain forgettable.

What's not forgettable is the ending to the Zom100 anime. Been waiting months for it to finish the first season after it went through production hell earlier this year. The proper theme is a fun, energetic time and seeing the finale was worth the wait. This made me read the manga, and boy does that go to some strange places once or twice, but it's a nice read none the less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all the anime from this season, I think Frieren mostly lived up to the hype. I'm enjoying the ride and it's getting better as it goes. Have to cut down my Winter 2024 shows though. Way too many to keep up with this season, and between my job and currently having the flu, it's been so hard to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Out of all the anime from this season, I think Frieren mostly lived up to the hype. I'm enjoying the ride and it's getting better as it goes. Have to cut down my Winter 2024 shows though. Way too many to keep up with this season, and between my job and currently having the flu, it's been so hard to keep up.
    I've heard a lot of good things about that one

Been pacing myself enjoying the new Hilda Season 3. New locations, new creatures, new character designs (probably a Gus from Owl House situation of voice actors getting older, but I like it!) Perfect to watch on a chilly day with a mug of cocoa.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    [video=youtube;tbnn8e7sSxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnn8e7sSxA[/vieo]

Been pacing myself enjoying the new Hilda Season 3. New locations, new creatures, new character designs (probably a Gus from Owl House situation of voice actors getting older, but I like it!) Perfect to watch on a chilly day with a mug of cocoa.
    That's one show that's been on my radar for a while. Perhaps I should watch it after my next watch session of Aggretsuko.

And there goes, what is likely the first half of, Hazbin Hotel

I'd say that it stumbles a bit with the pacing. What happened in episode 6 feels like the season, or mid season, finale. More time with not only the Hotel, but the denizens in it, to see why they deserve to be allowed in Heaven would have developed the characters better and help us understand who the are, and even who they were.

An extra couple episodes to see it for ourselves with a couple of the characters would have been nice, and while I understand there is no guarantees to get a second season, or the other half of this one, and you don't want to leave a story hanging I think that extra time was needed.

The first episode really needed to be the pilot after they rejiggered it with what the first episode is as it's awkward that you have to go to two different websites to actually understand the beginning

The music does feel a little in your face from time to time, comes out of nowhere on a few occasions, but a lot of it is bouncy and it keeps you entertained.

The last two episodes were definitely its best, or perhaps that's me relating to the action more and my mind goes to work on my own project and what I can do for that. In the end we are left with a few cliffhangers and questions for the next group of episodes and a rather good time if you were already a fan of the pilot.

I'd give this a strong 7.5 out of 10. It has some room to improve, but what is there is fun. Luckily my brother had a Prime account, which is the only way to watch it, and I could see it for free, but it's hard to say if I would have paid for a month of it just to see this or wait for a potential dvd release. If you already have Prime then I say it's worth a watch.

It's not that bad, but that doesn't say much.

That right there is pretty much the title of the live action Avatar, brought to us by Netflix. Everything in this show is better than the movie, but that's not saying much. In eight episodes this show has about the same run time as the entirety of season one of the cartoon, but it just doesn't do it well.

The primary issue with the show has to be its tone. This show was first billed as a more "serious" take on the cartoon and initially touted to have more "blood, drama, and some teen sex," which was the primary reason why the cartoon's creators ran off. Problem is that this "serious take" isn't really that. The most it gets is that the adults are more hardened by a century long war and every single person that's above the age of 30 won't stop telling Aang that he "needs to do it on his own" every single damn episode, and when it's not that it's every character, including them, telling Aang that he's "special." It's almost as if the director/writers need to keep reminding us that Aang is a chosen one, and that's not how you write a character.

I will have to say though that the acting is definitely the one thing that improved the most since the movie. Iroh is yet again the standout within this and while some actors are giving it their all, like with Zuko and Aang, but the script is just bogged down with some questionable choices from the plot to the dialogue.

It doesn't help that this show felt the need to combine episodes of the cartoon together. This can leave many of them feeling very odd. The first episode is by far the worst of these where they show Aang's backstory in the first half hour and then shove the first three episodes of the cartoon into the second half hour. It is honestly a poor opening.

While the show is easily a 5 or 6 out of 10, it's definitely a bit of a struggle to get through now and again.

Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's latest movie and his take on Star Wars because Disney rejected his offer to direct one of them. 35 minutes of build up, an hour of introducing characters as they jump from planet to planet and each new character is given less time to develop with even less lines, another 25 of finale setup, and then a 20 minute action finale that makes the "vulnerable air duct" of Star Wars look almost Shakespearean.

Outside of a few neat alien/robot designs and a small joke this movie is pure boredom. Zack Snyder usually has some nonsense in his film, and there's plenty in this movie, but it's just a big ol' "I don't give a shit!" as his take on Star Wars makes even the prequels look brilliant in comparison.

Stay away from this movie unless you want to really catch up on your email or organizing a collection that you haven't gotten around to in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live action stuff just never works out well compared to the original animated version. They'll never learn.

But for something that Netflix did well, I watched Arcane recently. I didn't love it, but it's a good show. I really only care about Vi, Jinx, and Ekko. It's just a constant downer the whole time. Nothing good ever happens, Jinx seems too far gone to have a true reunion.. Plus it ended on a massive cliffhanger. Feel bad for the people who watched it as it aired and had to wait years for season 2 which is coming at the end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Live action stuff just never works out well compared to the original animated version. They'll never learn.

But for something that Netflix did well, I watched Arcane recently. I didn't love it, but it's a good show. I really only care about Vi, Jinx, and Ekko. It's just a constant downer the whole time. Nothing good ever happens, Jinx seems too far gone to have a true reunion.. Plus it ended on a massive cliffhanger. Feel bad for the people who watched it as it aired and had to wait years for season 2 which is coming at the end of this year.
    I find Arcane to likely be one of the best adaptations of a video game since the original Mortal Kombat movie. It's definitely top notch and, yes, it was a shame to wait so long to get the next bit of it.

I got a final grade of 89.9 in one of my online classes. Syllabus says they won't bump it up to an A. Ruins my perfect streak I had going. If I had made one less silly mistake on any of the smaller assignments we had taken I would have gotten an A. This is going to haunt me for a long time and I had to rant somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I got a final grade of 89.9 in one of my online classes. Syllabus says they won't bump it up to an A. Ruins my perfect streak I had going. If I had made one less silly mistake on any of the smaller assignments we had taken I would have gotten an A. This is going to haunt me for a long time and I had to rant somewhere.
    Been there in the past and from the panic attack and crying fits so my parents wouldn't find out of the "failure" by getting one B out of the entire year my best advice is try not to let it get to you. Mistakes happen and it isn't the end of the world.

It's not that bad, but that doesn't say much.
    Finally got around to watching that myself. I admit I'd probably be harder on it if the movie didn't exist. It has a few scenes that were genuinely new concepts that fleshed things out a bit that were very fun (younger Zuko befriending Iroh, the attack on the Air Nomads, the intro scene, the fate of the 41st Division) and the bending CGI is overall good. Some part of me is holding off judging it too hard on the changes until we see the long-term ramifications of it, which is why I do want them to make all 3 seasons of it. You change something like the context of which Aang was separated from the airbenders, how do you handle Guru Pathik and Aang's conversation on guilt?