1. #33441
    I'll have to watch it to see what you are talking about, but sometimes shows just have poor endings or poor last seasons.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  2. #33442
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    The first part of season 9 wasn't too bad...it had a nonsensical main arc but it had a couple of decent side episodes. The second half...has managed to completely jump the shark. Without getting into spoilers, the epilogue is so bad (the second worst series finale I've ever seen, the only one that's worse is Star Trek Enterprise, and it's not much worse)...I'm ready to just chuck season 9 in the metaphorical bin and pretend it ended with S8. I don't understand how it could get so terrible, so fast. Ugh. Oh well. I'm done. I will still always enjoy the first 8 seasons.
    I thought the second half wasn't done yet and we were still waiting on the finale, unless you dug up one of the leaks.

    I'm trying to steer clear of those, but still have high hopes. The Baddie Trio have been fantastic to watch work so it'll be pretty hard to ruin that for me with the finale.



    Honestly I thought this show would jump the shark years ago and kept somewhat hoping for X season to be the last just to avoid becoming something like Fairly Odd Parents or Spongebob, but IMO the seasons have held up well enough. Certainly to a point I can't say "and that's when everything went to poop."

  3. #33443
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I thought the second half wasn't done yet and we were still waiting on the finale, unless you dug up one of the leaks.

    I'm trying to steer clear of those, but still have high hopes. The Baddie Trio have been fantastic to watch work so it'll be pretty hard to ruin that for me with the finale.



    Honestly I thought this show would jump the shark years ago and kept somewhat hoping for X season to be the last just to avoid becoming something like Fairly Odd Parents or Spongebob, but IMO the seasons have held up well enough. Certainly to a point I can't say "and that's when everything went to poop."
    I have seen it, in its entirety. Yes, I dug up the leaks. But I agree, up to S8 it held up. S9's main arc never grabbed me, it felt forced and really out of place. That said, most of the first half was...ok I guess. The Last Crusade managed to be decent.

    It gets worse and worse with every new episode I see since the hiatus ended. Jumping the shark doesn't cover it. The last episode jumps the shark about 84 times. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the entire last half of the season feels like they aren't even trying anymore, they aren't trying to keep things consistent and accurate, and it's like a contest to see how much they can get away with, and it just feels like they're pushing agendas rather than trying to keep the show good. It's like bad fanfiction. Imagine if a really good restaurant let random people in the kitchen, where they proceeded to make and serve piss and Pringles soup. The epilogue is SO bad, that it made me just want to completely discard the entirety of season 9 and just act like none of it happened, and the show ended with S8. I'm fine with Best Gift Ever and Rainbow Roadtrip as well (RR had some terrible voice acting from most of the new characters but it was otherwise good).
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2019-09-07 at 08:02 PM.

  4. #33444
    Steven Universe movie in a nutshell:




    What a rollercoaster.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-09-06 at 01:48 AM.

  5. #33445
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    SU movie in a nutshell:

    [IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/4ba45ddec85412fc970afd9339d25ed5.png[/IM\G]
    [IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/92d18e186b54fe2d8c9b9323d7ac374b.png[/IG]

    What a rollercoaster.
    One day there will be a sad rollercoaster.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  6. #33446
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,647
    Someone replied to one of my derpi posts saying how absolutely awful S9 (especially the finale) is, and made some great points. "What really sandbagged the writing for S9 was that they tried to wrap up all the loose ends instead of treating it like a real world that doesn't wrap up nicely merely because the cameras are about to leave. That and they were chasing nostalgia from season 1+2 bandwagoners who stopped watching long ago, so the characterization and plots are wildly off for those of us who watched the rest of the series." The entire finale is just chasing trends, trying (badly) to force memes, and pushing agendas.

    I have just removed S9 from my personal canon, deleted all the episodes, and I'm just going to pretend it ended with the S8 finale + Best Gift Ever + Rainbow Roadtrip. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call S8 amazing, and I wouldn't say it's one of the best seasons, but it had a lot of great moments, even if it did have a couple missteps here and there. At least (for the most part, barring single episode missteps) everyone wasn't constantly out of character. The second half of S9 feels like a different show. Everyone constantly acts like either an exaggerated parody or a complete opposite of who they actually are. The first half had a lot more OOC moments than it should have, but at least it wasn't constant. But it suffered from a completely nonsensical main arc.

    I just wish the people who were doing personal attacks and death threats on twitter would've kept their criticisms to the material. I fully supported all their criticisms, and I would've supported them if they hadn't made it personal and issued death threats. I mean, I understand how they feel, I feel betrayed by the finale too, but that's never an excuse to personally attack someone. That just makes the rest of us who absolutely despise S9 with the fiery passion of 1000 supernovas look bad.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2019-09-08 at 01:45 PM.

  7. #33447
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    S
    I just wish the people who were doing personal attacks and death threats on twitter would've kept their criticisms to the material. I fully supported all their criticisms, and I would've supported them if they hadn't made it personal and issued death threats. I mean, I understand how they feel, I feel betrayed by the finale too, but that's never an excuse to personally attack someone. That just makes the rest of us who absolutely despise S9 with the fiery passion of 1000 supernovas look bad.
    I'll never understand the death threats or personal attacks when watching something you like. There's just no point to it.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  8. #33448
    I watched the finale with my friends for my Birthday. I absolutely adored it. Like both the two parter and epilogue were some of the best episodes of the show and wrapped up the show in such an amazing way. It was just such a climactic and fun finale and my emotions were high.

    The main criticisms I have seen also have very little weight behind them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Someone replied to one of my derpi posts saying how absolutely awful S9 (especially the finale) is, and made some great points. "What really sandbagged the writing for S9 was that they tried to wrap up all the loose ends instead of treating it like a real world that doesn't wrap up nicely merely because the cameras are about to leave. That and they were chasing nostalgia from season 1+2 bandwagoners who stopped watching long ago, so the characterization and plots are wildly off for those of us who watched the rest of the series." The entire finale is just chasing trends, trying (badly) to force memes, and pushing agendas.

    I have just removed S9 from my personal canon, deleted all the episodes, and I'm just going to pretend it ended with the S8 finale + Best Gift Ever + Rainbow Roadtrip. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call S8 amazing, and I wouldn't say it's one of the best seasons, but it had a lot of great moments, even if it did have a couple missteps here and there. At least (for the most part, barring single episode missteps) everyone wasn't constantly out of character. The second half of S9 feels like a different show. Everyone constantly acts like either an exaggerated parody or a complete opposite of who they actually are. The first half had a lot more OOC moments than it should have, but at least it wasn't constant. But it suffered from a completely nonsensical main arc.

    I just wish the people who were doing personal attacks and death threats on twitter would've kept their criticisms to the material. I fully supported all their criticisms, and I would've supported them if they hadn't made it personal and issued death threats. I mean, I understand how they feel, I feel betrayed by the finale too, but that's never an excuse to personally attack someone. That just makes the rest of us who absolutely despise S9 with the fiery passion of 1000 supernovas look bad.
    Whoever said that about the finale is wrong by an objective metric, they do not wrap up everything nicely and they actively say that there will always be darkness in the world, its not a happily ever after, they do not wrap up every loose end either, just the main ones. There is no forced memes, the finale is played very seriously but has the shows staple comedy, there are no forced meme faces or lines, unless you count one reference to an iconic line...which come on that is fine in the finale of the entire show.

    Based on all the criticisms I have read it is mostly directed at the epilogue and almost ALL of it is based on people upset that it exists and that they personally are not happy with the fact that it does exist rather than actual analysis of the epilogue itself "waah not the way I want" kind of thing, which is not healthy critique. As for the two parter, I see very little criticism over it unless you go somewhere like 4chan, which has been a beacon of negativity since...ever.

    Hate to be that guy but there is also no such thing as personal canon in a TV series, I can't really understand why season 9 is apparently so awful that it shouldn't be canon but I also don't care for the inevitably hyperbolic reasons. You do have the point with a tiny amount of validity being the bad character moments in the 2nd half. However I think this mostly begins and ends in "2,4,6, Great" A Trivial Pursuit was just a send off to one of Twilight's most iconic personality traits, a bit jarring but fair in the end. Every episode after has not done what you said. Really just those two episodes, and only one of them felt like a complete melon of a writer not knowing what they are doing.

    My thoughts on season 9 are overall very positive, it had a few duds like every season but for the most part it was a very strong season and played well to the characters, my main critique being that each main character should have had a proper final episode for their character. Pinkie got one mostly, and other characters had things close to that I guess, but not something like the Washouts from s8 could have been.

    The villains arc was built up well and lead to a satisfying conclusion, probably one of the better arcs in the show.
    Last edited by ryanmahaffe; 2019-09-09 at 10:55 AM.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

  9. #33449
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I watched the finale with my friends for my Birthday. I absolutely adored it. Like both the two parter and epilogue were some of the best episodes of the show and wrapped up the show in such an amazing way. It was just such a climactic and fun finale and my emotions were high.

    The main criticisms I have seen also have very little weight behind them.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Whoever said that about the finale is wrong by an objective metric, they do not wrap up everything nicely and they actively say that there will always be darkness in the world, its not a happily ever after, they do not wrap up every loose end either, just the main ones. There is no forced memes, the finale is played very seriously but has the shows staple comedy, there are no forced meme faces or lines, unless you count one reference to an iconic line...which come on that is fine in the finale of the entire show.

    Based on all the criticisms I have read it is mostly directed at the epilogue and almost ALL of it is based on people upset that it exists and that they personally are not happy with the fact that it does exist rather than actual analysis of the epilogue itself "waah not the way I want" kind of thing, which is not healthy critique. As for the two parter, I see very little criticism over it unless you go somewhere like 4chan, which has been a beacon of negativity since...ever.

    Hate to be that guy but there is also no such thing as personal canon in a TV series, I can't really understand why season 9 is apparently so awful that it shouldn't be canon but I also don't care for the inevitably hyperbolic reasons. You do have the point with a tiny amount of validity being the bad character moments in the 2nd half. However I think this mostly begins and ends in "2,4,6, Great" A Trivial Pursuit was just a send off to one of Twilight's most iconic personality traits, a bit jarring but fair in the end. Every episode after has not done what you said. Really just those two episodes, and only one of them felt like a complete melon of a writer not knowing what they are doing.

    My thoughts on season 9 are overall very positive, it had a few duds like every season but for the most part it was a very strong season and played well to the characters, my main critique being that each main character should have had a proper final episode for their character. Pinkie got one mostly, and other characters had things close to that I guess, but not something like the Washouts from s8 could have been.

    The villains arc was built up well and lead to a satisfying conclusion, probably one of the better arcs in the show.
    You do you I guess. My opinion is the polar opposite, though I will say my most scathing comments were reserved for the epilogue.

  10. #33450
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    You do you I guess. My opinion is the polar opposite, though I will say my most scathing comments were reserved for the epilogue.
    Having watched the epilogue, I have no idea what you would mean, as everyone is still in character and it's a very logical conclusion that fits in with the characters. I can't really say anymore because you know, spoilers
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

  11. #33451
    Taking the time to catch up on a few episodes that I missed I made this:



    A strange episode but I did love the song.

  12. #33452
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Taking the time to catch up on a few episodes that I missed I made this:

    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/EIhsEUe.png[/IG]

    A strange episode but I did love the song.
    Very appropriate.

    I just have to wait about 3 weeks to watch it all.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  13. #33453


    I love how Sylvanas is 3x the size of Anduin in this. Feels fitting.
    To paraphrase Taliesin, "the conflict between The Horde and The Horde is reaching its conclusion....and the Alliance is there too."

  14. #33454
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    [IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/991e31f8bff737f2d97e92bed417da1d.png[/IG]

    I love how Sylvanas is 3x the size of Anduin in this. Feels fitting.
    To paraphrase Taliesin, "the conflict between The Horde and The Horde is reaching its conclusion....and the Alliance is there too."
    That's what happens when the Horde is far more interesting. With them being initially the underdogs and having such a wide array of characters with their leaders it's easy to make stories about them.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  15. #33455
    Field Marshal isi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here.
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    That's what happens when the Horde is far more interesting. With them being initially the underdogs and having such a wide array of characters with their leaders it's easy to make stories about them.
    nah, it's not about it being "easy" it's because most of the story writers are massive horde fanboys

  16. #33456
    Quote Originally Posted by isi View Post
    nah, it's not about it being "easy" it's because most of the story writers are massive horde fanboys
    Again, they have far varied personalities and with them being seen as the "monsters" you have more to work with. It's the usual flawed character being far more interesting because you seem them grow. It's why Fluttershy grows so much throughout the show as she has more to overcome or Vegeta as he grows when he casts of some of his issues.

    Superman is rarely interesting because he has no room for growth as he's practically perfect, but watching Batman start to trust people and open up is exciting as you see him overcome his flaws. This is the same with humans and orcs. The humans are deemed pretty true in the moral scale; Varian was different in this regard as he was overcoming his warrior instincts, being split into two people, and trying to be a proper father. Anduin on the other hand is.....the essential boring boyscout, which can be written well, but not so much so far. The orcs can be easily written as monsters, but when you see them try and reconnect with who they once were, with shamanism, going to a new world to live without demons ruling them, and Thrall being a slave to help lead his people, that's interesting.

    You're never going to see Mekatorque with a deep story that makes you think of him as a great character, but when you have these "monsters" of the Horde as others see that they are not the savages they once believed and you peer behind that veil you see a deeper personality to their people and leaders.

    Even evil can be interesting, if done right. Arthas was done right, Illidan is also done right, especially at first as he made the hard choices to save his people and then kept going down that road, but of course Garrosh was done incredibly poorly and Sylvanas has been only slightly better in that regard. If I must say, and saying this always irks me, telling the story of Arthas and The Lich King would have been far more interesting than trying to tell a super condensed version of Warcraft 1 for the movie. Warcraft 1 would have been better as a Game of Thrones mini series rather than the movie we got.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  17. #33457
    Two absolute banger episodes in a row. I was never a fan of the Daring Do episodes, but this one really knocked it out of the park. I blame Fluttershy. She makes everything better.

  18. #33458
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Two absolute banger episodes in a row. I was never a fan of the Daring Do episodes, but this one really knocked it out of the park. I blame Fluttershy. She makes everything better.
    [video=youtube;1tUWZSwZlWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tUWZSwZlWc[/vido]
    I look forward to binging the season in a couple of weeks.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  19. #33459
    Dragonforce does another take on an already existing song and....it kind of works. The new album, I feel, is better than their last two, but I would still skip a few of these songs for the most part, like the two break up songs in this one. One of them is alright, but break up songs are not the reason I listen to Dragonforce.


    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  20. #33460
    Field Marshal isi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here.
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Dragonforce does another take on an already existing song and....it kind of works. The new album, I feel, is better than their last two, but I would still skip a few of these songs for the most part, like the two break up songs in this one. One of them is alright, but break up songs are not the reason I listen to Dragonforce.
    the three videos they released for the album are really great, totally hyped for the album, can't wait to get it today

    Last edited by isi; 2019-09-27 at 07:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •