4/13 Mythic prot warrior looking for advice

Hey guy's

Our guild has finally beaten the recruitment boss and we are finally progressing on Mythic. We have the first 4 down and we're working on Kilrogg but we should get that this week.

Everyone says gorefiend is the roadblock for lots of guilds. Does anyone have any tips for the tanks over and above what's available in icy-veins or similar guides. I've had a look through this forum and I can't find anything specific to prot warriors.

Attached are some logs of our failed attempts at Kilrogg. If anyone is bored and they want to shed some light on how I can improve it would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any good tips for any of the other mythic bosses going forward it would be appreciated.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you tank the boss on the opposite side of the room (so not where Ariok stands), there are a few things I can point out for you.
    Firstly, the sequence of abilities from Killrogg himself is always the same. After a few tries you will get a good feeling for when to use Shieldblock to avoid shredd armor and when you won´t take damage at all because he channels some long ass ability. You need to stand near Ariok once the big add spawns because it fairly quickly attacks the next target available, which will most likely be some poor dude who just wanted to place heartseeker in a good place. You job is it now to bring that big add as fast as possible to the boss position. No backpaddling. Usually I taunt, jump towards the boss and spam my heroic throw. Be aware, that he will most likely use his first howl on the way. in that case, just charge, interrupt and drag him the last few meters behind the boss. Be sure to position him turned AWAY from the boss, because his wild barrage is a frontal cone cleave that will shredd every melee to bits. The second howl must be interrupted by a melee. the third howl can be interrupted by you again. at 20%, drag him away from the boss. If he howl in that sub 20% period a fourth time, make sure to have a ranged assigned to kick. Ranges finish him off. Make sure to get out of the pussdle as fast as possible, best way is to charge Killrogg. The group that is assigned for the first vision will soak the puddle. That must happen FAST. Every next add/puddle will be handled by the respective next grp assigned for visions. so vision grp 1 does puddle 1, vision grp 2 does puddle 2 and so on. If the tactic you use requires killrogg to be turned somewhere one he casts visions, make sure to turn him early enough to that direction. He has the habit of casting a lot of stuff and seemingly not turning. Just ignore that and position yourself in the right direction, HE WILL turn a last time before casting visions.
    While he is channeling visions, the other tank may taunt.
    Make sure to tell the healer coming up if not all stacks were reset. you need an empty corruption bar before you take the next add.

Some more pointers:
    - If the add howls more then four times, your damage on it is too low and you will most likely be mindcontrolled.
    - Shredd Armor stacks. One stack because of failing ain´t too bad, two are a definite pointer that you need to up your game.
    - Very very VERY RARELY the first ability used by the big add is his frontal cone barrage. Only saw it once, destroyed the caster camp he was running through. I usually don´t plan for that occasion. Was a weird try anyway.
    - Remember: First and third kicks on the big add are yours. If you lose aggro while kiting the add to its position, tell hunters to support you with md.
    - If the healer coming up is a lazy dude and barely touches the melee campo with his circle of glitter, make sure to tell him. You need to reset your bar.
    - Killrogg himself does minor damage and is harmless outside his shress armor.
    - Shieldbarrier counts as am, so if you fucked up your shieldblocks and need a am up, hold your finger of the barrier and spam it once the cast starts. That way, you ensure that barrier isnt used up by something else before.
    - If he uses Death throes and you happen to be somehwere in the room to, for exmaple, get the next big add, avoid the green patches on the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the real first contentblocker is the next boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Out of all your talent choices you take the worst one at 100. Why would you ever use AM as prot? You arent using all your defensives on CD so this is such a massive waste

Your shield block uptime is ultra low, lie 10-15% when it should be 40%+, barrier hardly used
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...auras&source=3

and youre shit spamming heroic strike to dump rage while eating full hits to your face.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...casts&source=3

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18710644493
    read and learn points 2-4 otherwise you'll he gimping progression by needing more heals on yourself while DPS are dying when they couldve used the heals.

You need to learn to block on shred and also the big add's strikes. Barrier will help during death throes too. Knowing what active mitgation to use on what ability will get you far in Mythic. Not knowing wtf to do or not even using mit will shit on your raid's progression until you all hard overgear it to face tank through

That said I've even seen idiot tanks get carried up to Mythic soc or tyrant to get 1 shot by reverb or auto attacks then blame healers. Tank logs are super important

-Also stop using tyrant's decree. It's total trash
    -You're using Sudden Death but barely using execute procs or even execute at all for low mobs. Use it more
    -Some pulls you dont even use your legendary ring. It's not some extra major mitigation CD to save for emergencies, use it on cooldown for lower damage intake to help out the raid and as a huge damage buffs to shorten the fights. Especially line this up with lust
    -No potions used ever. Prepot bonus armor and second pot for huge damage phases and for a DPS boost. Use healing tonics as well, no reason to ever work on progression and not bring any that can save your life and wipes. Same goes for the entire raid, most arent using them

EDIT - this is also why you've been struggling on reaver, getting melee hit for the most part for 260k each when a block brings it to 150k. All those heals that were needed to keep you up meant a ton of others died to immolation/pounding/orb damage that isnt as avoidable and needed to be healed

Your monk cotank is sucking too. Low guard and shuffle uptime with low purifying usage which is equivalent to a warrior tanking with no shield and taking monstrous amounts of extra damage
    Last edited by Astynax; 2015-12-21 at 06:17 PM.

@valech - thanks for the constructive feedback. We have the rhythm of the fight now and all of your pointers helped a lot.

@astynax - Thanks for link to log comparisons. That was a big help.

You will never "beat" the recruitment boss. Never stop recruiting, keep an active bench.

Hey! Gz on the recruitment boss! I'm 5/13 Mythic at the moment done both tanking and dps. As a RL kilrogg is fairly easy, screw fancy mythic tactics do Heroic tactics and he should die on a few pulls, just keep those things in mind:
    - move the big add to one of the sides around 15%HP and let it die away from melees and a group of 2 soaking
    - keep switching boss after each add
    - Have a pala removing the debuff from heartseeker

As for Gorefiend, it's not about tanks its about being able to make everyone understand that if they are not on the soul killing duty they need to stop trying to top the meters. Anyone dpsing gorefiend and cleaving on the souls is going to wipe you sooner or later, everyone on the inside that keeps slacking will wipe you.

We got gorefiend to 38% but after that day we had some lack of consistency on the core team attendance so we had new players more or less every run making this boss hard. When players understand the following it becomes really easy:
    - on the inside: its more important to reduce 2 constructs to 30% HP than one to 0 and the second to 70%. 2 players ahould not be killing the same construct not be waiting for them to spawn while others are getting away.
    On the outside: dpsing the boss while not in feast of souls is not important and it gets really a problem if players are cluelessly cleaving on souls.

Rest is just applying and executing your RL strategy.

Gl
    Last edited by Magnosh; 2016-01-14 at 03:38 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is happening in this thread? it was necro´d twice and now Magnosh is giving advice tho OP stated that they killed Killrogg already. Damn post count pushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.