View Poll Results: Are you going to advocate formal higher education for your children?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Yes

22 48.89%
  • Yes, but it is their decision

16 35.56%
  • No

7 15.56%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you going to advocate formal higher education for your children?

With readily available information on the web and current event events, it is common to see people on here argue that higher education is useless. Will you advocate formal higher education for your children? What are your thoughts of MOOC's and their coursework? If a college graduate or if you have any experience as a traditional college student, how would you compare MOOC coursework to traditional university coursework?

Higher Education for the sake of a Degree itself is pointless, and always will be. Just walking away with your Degree means fuck all, but having a strong, working and reliable knowledge of your field, that is invaluable. I'm at University, I won't be getting the highest mark possible for my Degree because I don't focus too strongly on the marking scheme, but instead work on my own skills, my portfolio and my knowledge.

That's what invaluable to employers. Not a piece of paper. That's what I know, that's what I'd tell my child.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, absolutely.

I would push higher education but deephesize going to 4 year college at first.

Deleted
    I don't know, I haven't met them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Higher Education for the sake of a Degree itself is pointless, and always will be. Just walking away with your Degree means fuck all, but having a strong, working and reliable knowledge of your field, that is invaluable. I'm at University, I won't be getting the highest mark possible for my Degree because I don't focus too strongly on the marking scheme, but instead work on my own skills, my portfolio and my knowledge.

That's what invaluable to employers. Not a piece of paper. That's what I know, that's what I'd tell my child.
    Pretty much this. The piece of paper only gets you so far.

Connections you make at college, work experience, opportunities to undertake research with professors, study abroad, take part in programs and other aspects are what allows you to grow and look like a strong candidate. Not to mention college also has benefits during those years in terms of maturity and gaining experience in the real world (somewhat).
    "There is no honor in mediocrity."

Voted no because different children are different. They might be better off with trade school, military, or entering the workforce immediately. Higher education's an option but it's not the answer for everyone.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

That's their mother's job.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If they want to do something STEM related, then probably. Anything to do with Social Sciences/Humanities is more or less a game of Russian Roulette nowadays; though loaded with all but one bullet, as opposed to only one.

I am currently at my final year of University and I'm undergoing a Computer Science degree. The only reason I'm at the University is because they give me a degree in CS which I need to find a good job in this field where I'm from. About ~80% of everything I know today regarding this subject was learned from online resources, with video tutorials being the most used.

So if I could skip university and getting my degree and just learn everything via online resources then that would suit me just fine, but unfortunately I cannot do that as employers want to see 'proof', and printing an online certificate just won't cut it. I'm also not very good at paying attention to lectures, but thanks to online resources I find it much easier to understand topics mentioned in lectures and also to complete my courseworks. There are also great forums with a lot of awesome people that will help you out such as Stackoverflow, I'm extremely thankful to these kind of people.

Deleted
    It's not just for the education, it's also for the social interaction.

I wouldn't want my children to be some sort of hermits that only have theoretical knowledge. I want the to go out there, interact with others in classes and build friendships and connections. That's a large part of building a solid base for your future career.

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course I would. But I would make sure it is useful.

Not philosophy, or creative writing, or feminist theory...or some other garbage.

If they want to do liberal arts they can pay for it themselves, no sense wasting 50-100k on a useless piece of paper that only hinders them. Otherwise I'll encourage and pay for their college.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

Possibly, but employers don't really know and can't be bothered to find out how much skill and knowledge you have. It is easy to lie in interviews. The piece of paper tells them you do.

Beyond that formal education has little to no value.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It is easy to lie in interviews.

Lying in interviews is bad, mmkay?

(Lying in general is bad, mmkay?)

No and yes.

I'm gonna get my son to start working on a possible well paying trade. He will save up money and start his life debt free. Then I will encourage him to do college so he can manage others or start his own business with no hinderance at all to worry about.

I will only push college if his chosen profession requires a certain degree to do the job. Otherwise , it can and should wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Of course I would. But I would make sure it is useful.

Not philosophy, or creative writing, or feminist theory...or some other garbage.
    Hey. Creative writing is my degree. Business too...

But I'm also an author and any degree gives me a pay raise at my 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Yes, I would. (Assuming I ever have kids) Degrees are meaningful in terms of gaining employment (other than some industries where there other means of proving yourself) and are often necessary and sometimes have certifications attached. (Teaching, etc.) Plus, the experience is really valuable, teaches critical thinking, working with others, etc. You learn the processes that help you to succeed.

If they really didn't want to go to college I'd support that decision, but I wouldn't financially support them if they just wanted to hang out and play video games or whatever after high school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by anntheman View Post
    With readily available information on the web and current event events, it is common to see people on here argue that higher education is useless.
    I mean they can claim what the hell ever they want that doesn't make it true.
    Will you advocate formal higher education for your children?
    Fuck yes I will, I want my kid/s to have every advantage they can have in life why the hell would I listen to a bunch of nobodies on the internet?

You majored in liberal arts and can't find a job? Who would have thought that. I mean how many STEM people on here can't find work? Not many. Pick your major wisely. Don't be an idiot like numerous people I know who were like oh I want to do a job I love like art, photography, or theater. Guess what most people into that shit would love to get paid to do it too. I picked a major in a field that interested me yet I knew had job growth and potential for major advancement. DO I love my job as much as I would taking pictures? Probably not but I have a job that allows me to do that interest in my spare time and yet pays all my bills and such as well.
    What are your thoughts of MOOC's and their coursework?
    They are great for a reference or to get into the subject matter other than that they are useless.
    If a college graduate or if you have any experience as a traditional college student, how would you compare MOOC coursework to traditional university coursework?
    I have only looked into 1 so far and while it seems well organized as much as a classroom would be you still don't have the interpersonal resources you do in a classroom. As I said they are great reference and introductory resources and in some cases on par or better than a classroom however to get a job most places still require that piece of paper from a major university.

It's basically an investment.

What's the return? $200k to get a degree where you can get a $45k a year job is absolutely stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

I don't plan on having kids... so.... no? :B