Thread: WoW in Unity 5

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KaNNis View Post
    Thanks! I'm thinking of going with Stormwind for the next one as well, but truth is, it wouldn't look too different, using WoW's models in any environment can look good when the model is isolated and surrounded by better models, but if the entire city is based on those models, it doesn't get too far, even if it's using Unreal/Blender.

I'm still looking for ways to improve this, and better lighting/shadows without killing my laptop is certainly one.
    It would. The lighting model in game engines makes a lot of difference. The shadows, the way the light bounces, the way the sky color bounces of the models, it all makes a difference, trust me. You add in ambient occlusion and normal mapping, and believe me, it will look tons better.

Also, I`d love WoW to have physically-based shading, even if for most of the people it would ruin the cartoony feel of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrton2388 View Post
    Also, I`d love WoW to have physically-based shading, even if for most of the people it would ruin the cartoony feel of the game.
    I think it could work as long as the shadows weren’t overbearingly strong and soft shadows were used. Hard shadows would clash with the art style pretty badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks cool, but Dalaran would be rather unfitting to have that kind of sky in Northrend or Broken Isles, so it doesn't exactly feel right. All the purple fog could become annoying as well if it lowers your view distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Looks neat.

BUT

It is never going to happen. WoW will still run on the same, disgustingly old engine that caters to toaster computers even in 10 years.

Hell, toaster computers may even be better than the minimum requirement for WoW in 10 years.
    Well now my laptop feels like a dunce. I don't think OPs intention was anything but to make a cool looking Dal, which they pretty much nailed.

Off-topic; I liked your NE RP thread, I don't rp myself but it was a nice read
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

Also, for people thinking this kind of graphics (like in the OP) wouldn`t work on your PC, let me tell you something. You don`t know much at all about game development.
    If you bought a brand new PC 4 years ago, with 500 bucks, it will run just fine.

Also, for that "wont work for 100 players" argument... As long as you don`t increase the geometry of the player models, or add tons of light sources to the players, having 1 player or 50 players on the screen will result mostly in the same performance drop as of right now.

This is absolutely amazing. I would love to see WoW look like this some day. Great work!!!!
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    great work. looks fantastic.

to the people going on about "wow will never look like this cause of toaster computers" i guarantee your pcs cant handle this. especially if it was scaled up to WoW's size. This kind of graphics, handling thousands of players would pretty much break any pc under $5k.
    He just imported wow objects into the engine. Games with better graphics can be ran why is this the limit? Just look at Tera.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just amazing dude. Keep up the good work!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    Looks nice but...

Now add at least 100 players there and it would drop to 0.0001 FPS. Great useless work.
    Maybe because the majority of players run a toaster instead of a gaming PC despite a gaming PC costing close to nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    blizz should make something like this, to tell single player stories!
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
    Looks nice. Really shows the potential of improved lighting and darker nights.

The glossiness of a number of the surfaces feels kinda odd, though. Most notable is the main stone ground texture — I’d personally create a specularity map that has the mortar between the stones set to very low specularity (~10% maybe) and the stones themselves knocked down to 35% - 45% of their current specularity. I also imagine the walls as having a more matte texture.

I’ve wanted to recreate little areas of the game in various game engines as well, but have never sat down and invested the time. I’m good with Photoshop and decent with Blender, only leaving me to learn map editors, but once again getting started is always the hardest part.
    Gloss is a problem in both unity and unreal engine. Everything appears coated in oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andyclan View Post
    This is absolutely amazing. I would love to see WoW look like this some day. Great work!!!!
    Considering neither unity nor Unreal Engine are in any way remarkable, you're not aiming high. If WoW was made today it'd look much better than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    make icecrown in unity 5

if posible make it look like the wotlk cinematic

Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    Looks nice but...

Now add at least 100 players there and it would drop to 0.0001 FPS. Great useless work.
    Get a job nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    He just imported wow objects into the engine. Games with better graphics can be ran why is this the limit? Just look at Tera.
    yeah and terra looks no where near this good. there is a difference between "better graphics" and this. in an mmo game. this type of graphics is only for those with a computer thats just 2 upgrades away from a super computer.

you all go on and on about wow needing better graphics and complain about blizzard catering to "toaster computers" when those toaster computers is what helps keep wow going. if wow updated to a more advanced graphics system, and kills the ability for people with weaker hardware from being able to play the game. then their subs will drastically decrease, causing them to start shutting down realms, or even raise sub prices. which will cut subs even more.

and as we can see from most of the new mmos that have come out. better graphics =/= better game. you log in and go "omg this game is beautiful" and a week into it you leave the game cause its boring, or its story sucks, or its combat sucks. because most games with amazing graphics are using those graphics to hide a shit game. blizzard cares more about the story of wow, and how it plays than how it looks. i for one applaud them for that. but they have worked very hard over the course of warlords and going into legion to update their models and make the looks much better, while still letting those who havent spent thousands on a pc be able to play a game they love. there is nothing worse then putting everything into a game and then suddenly the developers saying "get a better pc or screw you".
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming response, and to chaud for getting me in the news there.

Anywho, I did steer away from Dalaran last night to quickly work on a Vanilla Login Screen scene, that I might use later as a menu, once I make an executable version of this and I can provide it for you people here to walk and fly around in different areas of your choosing.

The skybox is hardly done yet, but it's not a priority, I might have video of this ready by tomorrow though.

Let me know if an executable version of this is something that you guys would like and I'll get on it next month and provide links here, might try to use VR Cameras on it as well, but I haven't ever looked into that so it's no promise.
    Last edited by KaNNis; 2015-12-25 at 04:24 AM.

video!!! make one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmoz View Post
    Unfortunately we'll never see stuff this cool in wow. There's too many cry babies that'll whine about it somehow affecting their game play.
    My thoughts exactly. When it's night time it should be dark like this. This looks great
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

This should be the Dalaran in Legion. It's absolutely amazing. If i walked there ingame i'd feel truly surrounded by magic.

hey, kannis! what a surprise seeing you again. this is awesome... i miss dalaran. do you still play?

People need to realize that graphic requirements and possibilities are quite different from a single player perspective, to a persistent world on a massively multiplayer game...

That's like crying that World of Warcraft could look like Crysis or Farcry on ultra settings!

Sigh.