Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Phantom Squad ruining Christmas?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11...istmas-day.htm
    http://www.ibtimes.com.au/xbox-live-...n-next-1494113
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lizard-squa...istmas-1534109

I'm guessing "Phantom Squad" is related to Lizard Squad, the group of people who took down, or at least attempted to (I forget how successful it was) take down the console networks last Christmas.

Anyways, might be better to plan on doing something else than using the PS/Xbox networks, or games that require Steam, today and tomorrow. Also, just move or merge if there's a thread about this. Couldn't find one.

They won't, I'll hack them first.

Lizard squad provides better entertainment than both the alternatives. I cheer for you Phantom Squad.

One of those articles mentioned another hacking group that Phantom Squad took credit for something they didn't do... SnipDK?

These so called "white hat" hackers, "showing security issues" are just so full of it... they got plenty of options to go around with it [contact directly, get hired, etc.] but opt to do it on a busy day all the while giving a massive inconvenience to the customer base. Who the fuck are they fooling ? Bastards just want to troll.

People aren't going to spend more on security than they have to. That's true of anything. These script kiddies'll take advantage of that and TP the proverbial house for a couple days, then vanish into the woodwork again. Companies they target won't see any significant loss from it, law enforcement won't consider it important enough to bother pursuing.

All it'll do is give no-life losers a chance to laugh at people they trolled on the Internet. Same thing that happens every other day of the year.

Deleted
    As long as they don't attack blizzard or steam I don't care one bit.

Never heard of these guys, don't play console games.

Deleted
    Well, Steam was mentioned there.

Quote Originally Posted by MurlocsAreMasterRace View Post
    As long as they don't attack blizzard or steam I don't care one bit.
    Battle.net and steam get attacked even more then console networks do I would wager. Seems that way to me anyways.

Idiots like them deserve to be executed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Battle.net and steam get attacked even more then console networks do I would wager. Seems that way to me anyways.
    I dont seem to remember steam getting attacked, maybe blizzard but the big one is psn after the whole hacking fiasco.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I dont seem to remember steam getting attacked, maybe blizzard but the big one is psn after the whole hacking fiasco.
    Steam is DDOSed multiple times a year, usually at he same times Battle.net, SOE(or whatever it's called now), PSN and XBL are all being DDOSed, however I remember multiple times the first 3 where attacked and XBL and PSN where not.

"The Big One" you mean something that happened nearly half a decade ago? If anything PSN has been the more reliable with getting their service back over the past few years. Valve is usually quick as well. XBL was down for like 2 whole days last year starting on christmas eve and battle.net was a mess. People couldn't access the store on steam during the winter sale for hours at a time.

Let's not pretend steam is some magical unicorn immune to DDOS attacks when it has been proven it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh what a surprise, these clowns again.

I feel bad for people who have no one to love them and spend time with on Christmas day to the extent that they instead spend the holiday trying to ruin the fun and happiness of other people. I hope they manage to turn their lives around one day
    Last edited by Leih; 2015-12-24 at 08:22 AM.

As long as they don't touch steam i couldn't care less.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares about potato gaming?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    As long as they don't touch steam i couldn't care less.
    they couldn't take down steam even if they wanted to, slow it down at most
    but not completely take it down, because steam actually spends money on their servers and finding a solution to survive DDoS attacks, sony and microsoft don't

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are gaming and sitting at home at christmas eve and not a child you are doing it wrong. It's even worse if you are keeping yourself busy with DDoSing a service.

Sorry but that's my opinion on it.

A lot of those companies have server structures of such a nature that capacity can be shifted, due to this flexibility it can absorb a lot of attacks. Trying to DDoS steam is foolish people have tried before. PSN depends on how much they learned, Microsoft probably invested enough to make sure it won't happens on to them.

These services might have their functionality hindered but not for a long time. I would be really surprised if they managed to find some sort of backdoor as that would imply they found a human weakness.

Maybe they're doing it so you can spend time with family instead of mindless time sat in front of a console...

I wish media would stop referring to them as 'hackers' and instead call them what they are, scriptkiddies.

7+ Year Old Account
    just a bunch of 15 year old nerds with their parent's credit cards and too much free time in my opinion