Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
I wouldn't say it's ruining Christmas. Inconvenient? Sure. But I can play other games not tied to Steam (like WoW, for instance) or watch a movie, read books, interact with human beings in-person, etc. It's not like your one and only activity in life has been taken away.
People have different priorities. You may be happy reading a book. Others would see that as a complete and utter waste of time. Then there are people who have no "human beings" to interact with during this season.

If you've ever been to, for example, WoW forums, when WoW has gone down unexpectedly, you've most likely seen the amount of immediate whining there. Well, Steam, for example, has a lot of games that don't fully work in offline mode, and then there are the console networks that have the same problem, and I can guarantee you there are plenty of people using all of those as well.

Imagine wanting to do something, or having been waiting to do something for a long time, and then some random person walks up to you and says you can't do it. Go somewhere else. Do something else. Because they say so. You've got no say in it. You have no power, so shut up and walk away. That's basically what these kinds of DDoS attacks are. It would most definitely be different if the services were down for a legitimate reason, but when it's just someone deciding to rob you of your fun... It kind of frustrates a lot of people.