Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    And as far as being black, yeah, that might have had something to do with it. It might not have. Being in a rush to judgement on that is the same as being in a rush to judgement over a dream.
    The actual rapist is black too. The accuser named him at first, physical evidence would have linked him to it if it had been processed, but it was discarded by the police in violation of a court order.

And once again, a witness can make a mistake and wrongfully identify the wrong guy without ''lying''. That's why trials don't end dramatically when there is a witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    "listen and believe" they said. "rape culture exists" they said. good god, what a clusterfuck of a case.
    Did you even read the article? She was actually raped

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Did you even read the article? She was actually raped
    Pretty sure rape culture would be one that prevents the guy from being caught, not the one who will lock up anyone she says raped her even if it was in a dream...
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Pretty sure rape culture would be one that prevents the guy from being caught, not the one who will lock up anyone she says raped her even if it was in a dream...
    Pretty sure one case doesn't disprove shit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    That sucks, but doesn't excuse her for talking a good third of this dude's life away from him.
    She take his life away. That was the jury. She accused him, because she THOUGHT he was the one who did it. Doesn't matter why she thought it. Apparently her dream made her think it was him.

He had a trial, where the prosecution had to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

He had a defense who had every right to attack her dream story.

The fact that he went to jail isn't on her at this point
    Last edited by Xorn; 2015-12-25 at 02:59 AM.

Deleted
    28 years for rape?

people serve less for murder

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    This thread won't go very far, we're going to get a lot of the Euro MRA's in here, but most of the US MRA's will be absent since it was a black man.
    Why are you racist against blacks?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    MRA are the ones touting already the line ''rape hysteria''. On the other hand, some MRA hate black guys (cue to countless threads of MRA raging about girls not dating them but black guys) , so they are in a cornelian dilemna.

Another cornelian dilemna : if you are a MRA and not hating black guys, then why should you feel offended by this statement
    Imagine that. More random, irrelevant nonsense.

I feel like linking the "Almost raped" Encyclopedia Dramatica article, but I think it would break the rules due to the nature of the site.

Infractions: 2

For everyone bringing up "listen and believe" and "rape culture" and similar things, this happened in the late 1980s before all that crap came about.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    That article doesn't really make sense, it's clearly missing a lot of factors. Suffice it to say we aren't getting the whole picture here (probably because this title will get more hits than the truth). Is the dream testimony part of it, probably, but it's not exactly bullshit. If someone is raped while they are drunk the person appearing in their dreams is potentially evidence, especially when backed up by harder evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not really a lie if the person is attempting to tell the truth.
    Police isn't the one throwing them in jail though. That's the judge. Police is simply the ones trying to track down the culprits
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Pretty sure one case doesn't disprove shit
    That's fine, doesn't really have anything to do with my point. You posted as if the fact that she was raped goes against what he said when it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Needless to say, the presumably public défendant must have been prodigiously incompetent to not challenge the ''I saw him in a dream'' theory. (Then again, considering that recovered memories were considered as proof in the eighties...)

So, do people finally understand the importance of due process? I get that folks want to present some partisan rhetoric where they'll accuse past dissenters of hypocrisy, and vilify them for their absence or whatever (which is incredibly ironic, since it's effectively an instance of Sargon's Law), but let's be serious here. Someone was convicted because an alleged victim dreamed of being raped. This is why the burden of proof is so important, and why there is growing concern that it's being overlooked in today's legal environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    So, do people finally understand the importance of due process? I get that folks want to present some partisan rhetoric where they'll accuse past dissenters of hypocrisy, and vilify them for their absence or whatever (which is incredibly ironic, since it's effectively an instance of Sargon's Law), but let's be serious here. Someone was convicted because an alleged victim dreamed of being raped. This is why the burden of proof is so important, and why there is growing concern that it's being overlooked in today's legal environment.
    Just to clarify, the victim was indeed raped. Just raped by a different individual than the one she had dreamed about. Everything else in your post is spot on.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

This thread won't go very far, we're going to get a lot of the Euro MRA's in here, but most of the US MRA's will be absent since it was a black man.
    1. What is wrong with advocating for the right of a man to a fair trial? I can't imagine why you would have an issue with this.
    2. You tend to be the first person to bring up race in many threads. I sense some underlying issues.

Gotta wonder what all the people involved in getting him convicted were thinking. I can only assume they had some other reason to want to put him in prison and figured this was as good an excuse to do so as any. Justice be damned, I guess.

Or they were just mindblowingly incompetent... not sure which is more plausible... or which is worse.

How could this guy not be owed millions in damages, though?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    How could this guy not be owed millions in damages, though?
    Because state legislatures typically have passed laws eliminating or greatly reducing their liability for their fucked up legal systems.

Though in this case, Colorado law grants $70k for each year, so that's $1.96 mil.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-12-25 at 04:55 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    So according to the guy who admitted to assaulting the woman, he says that he didn't rape her but rather had consensual sex according to other articles:
    Jackson, who was in prison for raping a mother and daughter in 1992 less than two miles from the 1987 crime, later confessed that he was the one who beat the victim, and that they had had sex that night, but claimed that it was consensual
    But had some issues:
    In his statement last week, Morrissey said that investigators for the DA had found Jackson’s confession “implausible”, and that he had recanted his confession in 2015, saying that he had made it up because he didn’t believe he could be charged and wanted to help Moses-El. Klein’s lawyer contested that the confession had been recanted.
    But this seems like a big issue with all the untested rape kits that we had a thread on a bit ago.
    A rape kit of DNA evidence was collected at the time, but never tested. A blood sample from the scene was, though, and it did not match Moses-El’s, according to his attorney.
    In the mid-90s, he began working with Barry Scheck of the Innocence Project, a national organization that works to clear the falsely accused, and a court order was issued to test the rape kit. After the order, the untested rape kit remained in a police storage locker for four more weeks. Then, despite being labeled “Do Not Destroy”, the evidence was thrown in the trash.
    And police being able to sneak away with some bullshit:
    Later, an investigation cleared the Denver police department of any bad faith actions in the discarding of the evidence, and the department admitted to the Denver Post that “communications problems” led to its loss.
    So just my humble opinion but this shows not testing rape kits is a bad thing, and this poor guy was likely railroaded all the way down the line:
    Also the hysteria that surrounds rape apparently hurt this man, and who knows how many others:
    Larry Hales, who has been working on the campaign to free Moses-El since 2013, said it’s been difficult gaining support in the media or from non-profits because of the nature of the crime. “People worry about others’ opinions about them supporting somebody who has been convicted of rape,” he says. “A few organizers even said to me, ‘We have funders, so we’ll help in any way but it can’t be public.’ And these are people who work on cases of wrongful imprisonment, mass incarceration and political prisoners.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...nver-rape-case

Also the people posting oh nobody will care, it is a black guy are some shitters. This dude looks like he got shafted hard, and yall try to turn the focus on MRA's and your belief of their racism rather then this dudes plight.
    Last edited by theostrichsays; 2015-12-25 at 05:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Black men getting falsely accused of rape was and still might be a fairly common thing.

It was originally done to demonize black masculinity, and to prevent the horrors of interacial intimacies.

Pick up the book by Randall Kennedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    But we're crossing racial barriers here.

People haven't tried to pull this shit under a national spotlight towards minorities since the central park five.

Notice how all the accused caught up in media frenzies we see now are white mostly.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-12-25 at 05:36 AM.