Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Canada vows to double Syrian refugee intake

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35153344

Canada has vowed to double its intake of Syrian refugees next year.

The minister of immigration and citizenship, John McCallum, said the country's resettlement programme would be expanded in 2016 to take 50,000.

Mr McCallum made the announcement from the Jordanian capital of Amman, where he met Syrians heading to Canada.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau welcomed some of the first arrivals earlier this month and said Canada was "showing the world how to open our hearts".

His new Liberal government had promised to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.

But Mr McCallum said Canada now hopes to settle as many as 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016.

The UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration will be helping to speed up the vetting process, he said.

The minister spoke to Syrian families as they prepared to board flights to Canada.

He told one family: "Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you."

Mr McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day visit.
    Other countries need to follow suit and also increase the numbers that they are taking. We must all do our part.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like a GG parody poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yeah. Especially them European countries. Let them all double their intake. They all enjoy an extremely high standard of living better than most developed countries even the US. They all have better school systems too to help educate them as well.

The US we can't take in anymore. We have a crumbling healthcare system and a 2nd world education system. We have the worst internet bandwidth of all developed countries in the world. We also have the least cultured people and racist people in the world. Also all people carry guns here and some of them might get accidentally shot. Frankly we need to get our shit in order before we can accept any more refugees.

10+ Year Old Account
    U.S. has barely taken any in even through they are mostly responsible for the mess. So no, they need to do their part especially.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    U.S. has barely taken any in even through they are mostly responsible for the mess. So no, they need to do their part especially.
    Your dad barely took in my uhh............Gungan stick

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-12-30 at 01:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Good. The US should do their part too, instead of keeping up the imperialist reputation...
    Yep. U.S. has about 10 times Canada's population.
    They should be aiming for 500 000 refugees next year.

7+ Year Old Account
    Canada is stealing all of Syria's hard working societal contributors, how selfish. Fixing Syria would be the humanist approach.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-12-30 at 01:28 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    We actually take in thousands of Canada's geese every winter thank you very much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Canada's volunteering to take more refugees does not obligate the US to do jack shit. Fuck that and fuck them.

I used to laugh at Sweden now my country is becoming Sweden...

Why can't we just once learn from others peoples mistakes?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35153344

Other countries need to follow suit and also increase the numbers that they are taking. We must all do our part.
    Found the ISIS recruiter. Not falling for your suicide bombing shenanigans.
    Last edited by sweatshopkids; 2015-12-30 at 02:01 AM.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    We're at an interesting crossroads here.

And I don't mean historically or geopolitically or something else like that.

I mean on these forums. What is this thread going to be like? What are the generic knee-jerk posts going to be?

See, people from Europe on these forums generally seem to despise immigrants, so they can't really laud Canada for taking them in. However, because Canada isn't the US, they deserve some amount of praise, correct? Obviously, their policy measured here must be more beneficent than whatever the US' is, but that would mean that, through extrapolation, the acceptance of immigrants is a good idea (because Canada is doing it and the US isn't doing it) but... That flies in the face of the preconceived notion that allowing in immigrants is bad.

So the interesting dynamic here is whether the majority of posters here will take a novel direction and turn on Canada, or whether the urge to call the US hypocritical outweighs the hatred of immigrants.

Let's watch, shall we?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Economies are already suffering. Adding more population won't solve it.

Imagine you feeling bad for all the world's cats. Taking in 500,000 would only hurt you.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

There's a good chance that many Syrian workers have experience working with oil. The Canadian government is making an interesting move for cheap labor... that happens to appeal to bleeding hearts throughout the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dir View Post
    There's a good chance that many Syrian workers have experience working with oil. The Canadian government is making an interesting move for cheap labor... that happens to appeal to bleeding hearts throughout the world.
    I'm going to call bullshit on your entire post unless you provide some relevant data.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Canada's volunteering to take more refugees does not obligate the US to do jack shit. Fuck that and fuck them.
    Completely serious applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I agree. Why send the Syrians from one war torn 3rd world country to a crime ridden cesspool 3rd world country. Probably safer to stay in Syria or have a real country take them in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    I agree. Why send the Syrians from one war torn 3rd world country to a crime ridden cesspool 3rd world country. Probably safer to stay in Syria or have a real country take them in.
    The places where we have plenty of free space have not historically been good areas for brown people to hang out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Exactly, they wouldn't like it here. They'll love Canada and Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is nice in theory. Our infrastructure isn't capable of handling it. So by the time we have 50k refugees in Canada. It'll be 2018.