Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Is it harmful? Is it in violation of the law?
    Let's pick something simple. Women can't hold government offices. Is that actually "harmful"?

Whose stopping you from having a diff opinion?

People thinking you are a dick is a very rational response to any opinion. Do you just want to say anything and have it accepted? I dont have to agree with you and you dont have to agree with me.
    Unfortunately it is not as simple as that. There is a narrative to follow in many areas of life and while there legitimate reasons why someone may dislike homosexuals and their life style but support them having rights, they are called a bigot as a result. They face discrimination for what other people perceive as discrimination, when in reality there is nothing but a different viewpoint being conveyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Let's pick something simple. Women can't leave hold government offices. Is that actually "harmful"?
    Its depriving someone of something that they could in theory do and possibly depriving that society of someone who is qualified to be in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    That is what the term bigot means. In the same manner that a red apple is called a red apple, a person who is intolerant of another person's lifestyle is a bigot.
    Except that I understand and and agree that they should be allowed to live the way they want to, it is just not what I perceive as a good way to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Unfortunately it is not as simple as that. There is a narrative to follow in many areas of life and while there legitimate reasons why someone may dislike homosexuals and their life style but support them having rights, they are called a bigot as a result. They face discrimination for what other people perceive as discrimination, when in reality there is nothing but a different viewpoint being conveyed.
    oh no. How terrible, they dislike it, say it, and people respond with, wow thats really shitty of you. I cant believe something so horrible would happen. How dare someone have their opinion listened to, and then responded to without actual risk to their life, liberty, or property.

What discrimination? People just dont feel like dealing with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Just wanted to get people's opinions on the matter.

Is it bigotry to not agree with / accept a certain lifestyle? Like for example if someone does not agree with / accept gay lifestyle, is that bigotry?

I see terms like "homophobe" and "bigot" and other such spewn around when someone simply does not agree / accept that lifestyle, regardless of why.

If it is in someones deep rooted beliefs that a certain lifestyle is wrong, (be it gay, straight, druggie, prostitution, etc etc etc) in my opinion its not bigotry, its just that they dont agree / accept it.
    And there is your prejudice showing error right there. It is not a lifestyle. It is not a choice. Did you choose to be heterosexual? Do you think tomorrow you might choose to be something else? No it just was. That's how it was/is for me also. I could no more find myself sexually attracted to men as I could to dolphins or spiders and I'm willing to bet you are the same. The same sort of thing goes for those who are not heterosexual. It is a basic part of their biological and physiological make-up and can no-more be changed by them as for you or I.

The rest of your post is just a way to rationalize and excuse your prejudice.

Yes, if you make it an issue about how other people live their life. It is perfectly fine to not want to live a certain lifestyle yourself, but how other people live theirs is irrelevant and it's rude to voice your opinion on something that doesn't matter to you.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

I dont like gay people thats just an opinion

Oh you think Im a dick?

STOP OPPRESSING ME!
    That doesn't address the paradox. It has nothing to do with being a dick. People can dislike another person's opinions but actually discriminating against someone for holding a opinion, bigoted or not is a huge problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

"I don't like an argument so I'm going to say it fails and then I'm going to call everyone who uses it a bigot so that I have the moral high ground"
    Justify it all you like. It's only a paradox when you redefine the scope of bigotry.

There are no legitimate reasons, and descrimination describes the actions being taken without reference to the context of their motive. If you deny a black person service because they are black, the action is discriminatory whether your motive is that you were born in the deep south with racist parents or that you were mugged by a black person last night on the bus. If the defining factor was the discriminating feature, it's discrimination.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2015-12-31 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't address the paradox. It has nothing to do with being a dick. People can dislike another person's opinions but actually discriminating against someone for holding a opinion, bigoted or not is a huge problem.
    So now its discrimination to dislike someone elses opinion? What a joke.

No one has to like your opinion. There is no right to have your opinion liked.

Its depriving someone of something that they could in theory do and possibly depriving that society of someone who is qualified to be in office.
    I'm not seeing the harm.

But, real quick. How do you feel about gagging people or barring their promotion for speaking out against certain practices? (The woman who failed the physical test to be a firefighter six times and is being accepted.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not seeing the harm.

But, real quick. How do you feel about gagging people or barring their promotion for speaking out against certain practices? (The woman who failed the physical test to be a firefighter six times and is being accepted.)
    So you deny a womans ability to help lead her area if the people would also want her?

Except that I understand and and agree that they should be allowed to live the way they want to, it is just not what I perceive as a good way to live.
    This is tolerance in reality, folks.

Tolerating something is like going fuck you mentally at a mother ignoring their crying child on a plane, but doing nothing about it.

So now its discrimination to dislike someone elses opinion? What a joke.

No one has to like your opinion. There is no right to have your opinion liked.
    Yes but there is a right to hold an opinion whether or not it is bigoted.

So you deny a womans ability to help lead her area if the people would also want her?
    Some people want Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    And nothing is stopping you from having an opinion, but if people dont like your opinion, guess what! They aint gonna like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good for them?

Of course it's bigotry, it's 2015! It's almost 2016 for that matter, and in some places it already is!

Not agreeing with and not living a lifestyle is not bigotry. It becomes bigotry when a person seeks to suppress a group that isn't harming anyone in any way.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

And?

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't see any laws against bigoted opinions, so what is your point?