Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you cope with the cold during winter?

I am struggling to keep my jogging or biking up now during the winter due to the cold, does anyone have tips on how to motivate yourself to get out there even though it's cold?

I turn the AC on, since it is freaken 85 degrees outside

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually stay inside with the heat cranked up.

Then again, I usually stay inside with the AC cranked up in the summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    I turn the AC on, since it is freaken 85 degrees outside
    It's -8C here right now and I have my window wide open. When I go to sleep, I'll still have a fan blowing on me too

OP: I do that in the morning. Wake up, take a warm shower, go outside to jog, come back and take another warm shower.

I'm a fair weather jogger. The temp needs to be 55 (f) and up and not raining. As it is, I hibernate for the winter. ok..I do a lot more physical activity that includes a lot of up a stair ladder carrying about 30lbs...That helps.

I would rather run in -8 than run in 30c.

It's -25 C outside currently where I live. The only sane way to deal with this is stay inside cocooned in a blanket drinking something hot. Certainly not running outside :P

I don't run in the cold or shit weather. I did when I was younger, but i'd get sick a bunch. If it's garbage outside I just hit a treadmill.

I prefer running outside, and don't mind the temp or rain mostly, but the down time from being sick beat out my previous treadmill hatred.

If you really wanna jog outside and the cold bothers you, and no offense meant here, suck it up. It takes 2-4 weeks for a normal healthy person to acclimate to temperature changes. Avoid hot showers if you aren't acclimated, it'll only make it worse. If anything gradually decrease the water temp until you get out.

Deleted
    I like it better when it is cold. I have no problem power walking or running during the winter. It is only hard the first 2-3 times to get used to the cold breathing.

If the breathing is too hard you get a facemask that helps make the air getting warmer. But you will look like a budget Bane

Deleted
    I love it. I have a barrel just outside my house. I get it filled with a cold water and bathe myself. Before I rub snow on my body. Of course I start with warm up basic exercises. It is good for your health and you get accustomed to low temperature.

I wear a shirt as well as my shorts.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual View Post
    I am struggling to keep my jogging or biking up now during the winter due to the cold, does anyone have tips on how to motivate yourself to get out there even though it's cold?
    Just get some decent winter gear - depending on where you live, you may want to look at waterproof and/or windproof. There's some really decent kit specifically for sports. If you're still struggling to get out the door, maybe look at something indoors that you can switch to for the winter.

Deleted
    Standard cold weather running gear and I do my warm up a little more intensely indoors so I'm already fairly hot when I leave.

Not sure what you mean when you say "cold" but it's about -5°C here (23°F-ish?) and running works just fine. Guess I'm used to it though, it's usually colder in january.
    I'd go skiing if there was more snow though.

Does cold weather really make that much of a difference? But as others have said: Get the right gear to avoid getting cold and wet. All there is to it.

I cant stand the cold. Id rather it be 110 F than 20F. I bought a concept 2 rower so I just use that for my cardio in the colder weather.

I used to have issues with running in the cold too. I decided to buy some cheap running pants. Way better than running in shorts (or jeans) for that matter.
    Those who talk don't know. And those who know don't talk.

Try to find a place with an indoor track or swimming pool and just get a 3 month membership. Otherwise, I would suggest switching to other indoor activities until the weather gets better.

depending on how cold is cold for you... find a gym. I ran outside one winter in ND and that was it, i got me a treadmill for the winter months
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have incredible cold resistance.
    My FC is 0430-8669-1800 add me and send a PM. My safari is Audino,dunsparce,Ditto.

"Insert clever saying here"