Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Imo brining balance to the force means equal number of jedi and sith. It could be why obiwan gave up in his fight against vader. Could also be why yoda died after all those years.
    to me Balance in the force means that the force users learn to balance the 2 sides within them and don't go fully to either side.

I totally agree with all that you just wrote Skroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I posted it in the TFA thread but I'll sum up my theory:
    Wow I actually really like that plot.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    I think the problem he has that I also had with this character is that she is basically a godess.

I understand most characters have plot armor and as such are basically imortal but for some character that plot armor is subtle, for Rey it is right in your face. She never is in any danger at all and is basically EXTREMELY good at everything she does even if it's the first time it she ever does it. Never fired a blaster before ? Misses the first shot then is a perfect marksman the rest of the movie. As an example.

I thought that she was a boring character unfortunately. Just good in everything and thats basically it. No real emotional attachment. Finn was on the other hand a much better character with flaws and much more human. He actually had a character arc, he started somewhere and ended somewhere else. Rey on the other hand just stayed right where she started. it just feels like unfortunately lazy writing to me.

Also, why do you assume that he does not like the character because she's female ? Who in their right mind would have such an opinion. Male or female does not matter when the character is lazily written.
    To me there is to much of the story we dont know yet to draw those conclusions. She may be extremely godess like with the force. She may be some kind of reincarnation(next step in the good sides newest powers?) or she may have had training before and forgotten somehow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    - anakin skywalker is not the true chosen one
    - snoke is darth plagueis (emperor's master)
    - rey the daughter of luke or leia
    - rey is the chosen one who will bring balance to the force
    - luke skywalker will die by the end of the saga

do u guys agree?
    As someone who has +25 years of EU (now Legends)exploration and collection experience, I can tell you one thing when it comes to Star Wars theorycrafting.

1. It`s not ASIOAF. It`s not Wheel of Time. It`s not The Dark Tower. It`s Star Wars.

Chosen One prophecy was a hoax.
    He might be Plagueis, they are hinting at it but I think it`s a misdirection.
    She`s Lukes daughter.
    The Chosen One prophecy is a hoax.
    Most likely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    it is obvious that ray is luke daughter but my question is, who is luke gf? Jedi arent allowed to get laid.
    Bullshit. You can do whatever you want as long you are in control of your emotions. Emotions are just temptations that could lead to the darkside. In the end a person still chooses to be "dark", the dark side isn't something like the ring in lotr.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    to me Balance in the force means that the force users learn to balance the 2 sides within them and don't go fully to either side.
    Which in the end is what Jedi are about, Jedi weren't meant to be soldiers. They were supposed to be neutral peacekeepers...the enemy they faced now was simply so big they couldn't stand idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    Bullshit. You can do whatever you want as long you are in control of your emotions. Emotions are just temptations that could lead to the darkside. In the end a person still chooses to be "dark", the dark side isn't something like the ring in lotr.
    im just referring to the jedi code, not what an human can do. Anyway, isnt anakin a pretty good proof of this? Hes the one that got to the dark side because of ESPECIALLY having a gf, if he didnt have one he would have never gotten insane about trying to save her and would have remained rational.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted

(5) In Rey's vision of the past, she was the one that killed everyone at Luke's Jedi Academy, not Kylo Ren / Ben Solo and the knights of Ren. Han was "certain point of view" lying. Rey's connection with the force is so overwhelming that she couldn't control it, and killed everybody... and maybe not even know (or remember) she did it. She was stopped (too late) by Luke Skywalker and his surviving students, who became the Knights of Ren. The split between Ben Solo and Luke was philosophical, not light side / dark side. Her memories of what she did are repressed, by the force, and is a "new person" (hence the infant being dropped off on Jakku, a metaphor) Luke let her live out her life. However her connection to the force is strong enough that she has natural defenses and knows how to do things from her former life - like fight, like use the Force Persuasion out of the blue with no instruction, like fly the Millennium Falcon. But she is starting to remember, slowly, which is why Luke reacts the way he does when he sees her. He never thought he'd see her again and know it's bad news.
    Nice fan-fic but they are not going to go in to that direction.

It`s too elaborate and complicated - even if Johnson has something like that in mind, Disney is the one that pays for the party and they ultimately will control it.

Bob Iger had his hands full on editing process and he insisted that they delete some of the political stuff and Kylo visiting the Falcon, having his own sentimental moment about his lost family, just two among at least 10 scenes that were cut. They are playing it safe. Ultra safe.

My theory:

There are three people that could`ve dropped Rey off at Jakku.
    1. Han - notice how he looks at her when she says during the arrival at Takodana that she never thought there could be that much green in the galaxy. There`s something more than just a pity for someone who was stuck on a shit planet.
    2. Her non Force-sensitive mother told Luke that she`s dead in order to protect her. Then Luke and her relationship fell apart - mirroring Leias and Hans split.
    3. Kylo who couldnt bring himself to kill her. So he hid her but that raises problem of why he didnt recognize her.

I think second point is the correct one - they are currently looking for +50 year old, white female. From the actresses that are rumoured to be in the auditioning process, most of them look like they could be Rey`s mother.

- - - Updated - - -

like fly the Millennium Falcon.
    This was explained in the novel - while working in the SSD`s, she found like these training programs (basically like what we have with F-35 training sims) that Empire had and she used those to try to learn how to pilot. She also did barrel rolls and various other tricks on that brown speeder of hers while no one was looking.
    Last edited by mmoc3193d19bfc; 2016-01-01 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    To me there is to much of the story we dont know yet to draw those conclusions. She may be extremely godess like with the force. She may be some kind of reincarnation(next step in the good sides newest powers?) or she may have had training before and forgotten somehow
    Like I said before, I do believe she was trained before. There might be plot reasons why she is such a powerful godess. It does not mean that the character is well written. A god character is always a problem to a story. Just take a look at the last 2 series in the expanded universe of SW books. In the last two series, they basically had to plot device Luke away from the main plot because he was just so powerful.

They could not deal with a Luke that strong. They had 2 choices :

1. Make an enemy so powerfull that Luke is actually in danger. This would basically invalidate the other characters completely. Just look at dragon ball, all characters except Goku are basically irrelevant because Goku is just so much stronger than the rest.

2. Get rid of Luke and have a power appropriate enemy for the other characters to tackle. This is what they did. In the 2 series, they had a plot device specifically made to get rid of Luke and have us feel the other characters are in trouble.

Having Rey be that powerfull and that perfect at everything from the get go will only bring them plot problems later on. No matter WHY she is that way. You might be right, there might be a plot reason and the writers are doing it for their story but with only having the first movie to judge, it feels like lazy writing. Like all these poorly written tv shows where the good guys always win with no problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaak View Post
    This was explained in the novel - while working in the SSD`s, she found like these training programs (basically like what we have with F-35 training sims) that Empire had and she used those to try to learn how to pilot. She also did barrel rolls and various other tricks on that brown speeder of hers while no one was looking.
    Not in the movie doesn't count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Which in the end is what Jedi are about, Jedi weren't meant to be soldiers. They were supposed to be neutral peacekeepers...the enemy they faced now was simply so big they couldn't stand idle.
    But that's not what they are depicted to be in the movies... in any of them... they are all about that light side, suppressing emotions bullshit...

A true balanced force user would be one that can wield both the light side and the dark side without succumbing to either one. Luke was on that path in ep 6; when he goes to jabba he pretty clearly uses force choke on those 2 guards, albeit briefly, which was shown to be used only by Vader, a dark side user, prior to that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Not in the movie doesn't count.
    It counts. Everything that doesnt contradict the movie but is in the novels is a canon.

Deleted
    It counts. Everything that doesnt contradict the movie but is in the novels is a canon.
    It doesn't count for the quality of the story and the movie.

Nice fan-fic but they are not going to go in to that direction.

It`s too elaborate and complicated - even if Johnson has something like that in mind, Disney is the one that pays for the party and they ultimately will control it.

Bob Iger had his hands full on editing process and he insisted that they delete some of the political stuff and Kylo visiting the Falcon and having his own sentimental moment, just two among at least 10 scenes that were cut. They are playing it safe. Ultra safe.

My theory:

There are three people that could`ve dropped Rey off at Jakku.
    1. Han - notice how he looks at her when she says during the arrival at Takodana that she never thought there could be that much green in the galaxy. There`s something more than just a pity for someone who was stuck on a shit planet.
    2. Her non Force-sensitive mother who told Luke that she`s dead in ordet to protect her. Then Luke and her relationship fell apart - mirroring Leias and Hans split.
    3. Kylo who couldnt bring himself to kill her. So he hid her but that raises problem of why he didnt recognize her.

I think second point is the correct one - they are currently looking for +50 year old, white female. From the actresses that are rumoured to be in the auditioning process, most of them look like they could be Rey`s mother.
    On the contrary, I think my theory sets Star Wars up very nicely to be a perpetual story and merchandise generator.

TFA was basically a soft reboot. This was on purpose. And like when he cast the Enterprise crew in Star Trek, Abrams casted young. These actors will be around for years, as leads in the sequel trilogy, and then as supporting actors in episode X-XII when a new group of leads takes over.

The worst, and least desirable outcome for Disney, is that at the end of Episode IX, light trumphs over dark, good over evil, there are many light-side force Jedi and no Sith/Dark Jedi, and the First Order is no more while the New Republic 2.0 reigns again. "And they lived happily ever afters" makes sense if you're wrapping up a story. Not if you drop billions of dollars to make billions of more to make movies, theme parks, tv shows, spinoffs, etc. Disney is "MCUing" Star Wars. That's how they made back their Marvel investment, and that's how they'll make back their Star Wars one (and then some).

So what do you want with Disney? A clear board to play on. You have your heroic, scrappy "Resistance". You have your evil, fascist "First Order". You have a galaxy with an awakend force where force potentials are coming out of the wood work. (maybe you, kids! So go buy your lightsaber at Toys R Us!) You have your resistance-aligned light side "Jedi Knights" who seek to train and master the force, and your First Order aligned dark-side "Knights of Ren" complete with a leader designed specifically by Abrams to be scary to kids and be merchandisable, who seek to keep a lid on the force and keep it for themselves. Choose your faction!

Rey being responsibile also turns the sequel trilogy into a redemption saga, so by the time we get to Episode X by which time Rey is redeemed, they can bring in new leads to exist in this "Galaxy at War" sandbox they set up. Her being personally redeemed, i think is how they end this block of stories, so they can transition to the next block without having to start from square one again. It's the sequel trilogy exit clause. When it's wrapped up, we can head to an all new storyline with new leads in Episode X, with the Resistance, First Order, and undoubtedly, Kylo Ren's successor, all featuring.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-01-01 at 04:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    - anakin skywalker is not the true chosen one - He could've been, he fucked up.
    - snoke is darth plagueis (emperor's master) - Unknown as Disney wrote Darth Plagueis off as canon for now.
    - rey the daughter of luke or leia - Can't be Leia, else she would've reacted more. Luke, even there I am in a little doubt but more possible than Leia.
    - rey is the chosen one who will bring balance to the force - There is no true balance though, both sides are needed and she is only in touch with one for the moment. Kylo is closer than her, though he has issues.
    - luke skywalker will die by the end of the saga - Of course, need more force ghosts.

do u guys agree?
    A little.. Though, I also agree on the wrong section.

As for your signature, I have my doubts.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    if it came out after Disney acquired the rights then yeah it's canon, otherwise no.

Deleted
    Her being personally redeemed, i think is how they end this block of stories, so they can transition to the next block without having to start from square one again.
    Redeem her for what? Do you think they have the balls for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    if it came out after Disney acquired the rights then yeah it's canon, otherwise no.
    Yup, had this discussion with one of my guilds... Disney butchered all the previous canon and set a line for when it counts. It is quite limited now.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Redeem her for what? Do you think they have the balls for that?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post38138882

I think she, not Kylo Ren, wiped out Luke's Jedi Academy because she lost control over a force that is wildly too powerful to control, and she doesn't know she did it. The affair wiped her slate clean (hence her being dropped of on Jakku as a child, which was symbolic not literal... she was a "new person"). She has huge natural force potential that lets her do these incredible things. And the more she uses her abilities the more she returns to the person she was. The "Luke, I am your father moment" will be Kylo Ren to Rey "No, you killed everybody".

Luke went looking for the First Jedi Temple to learn how they harnessed the force in the first place to make it safe for there to be a new generation of Force users and no more "Reys".

Deleted
    She couldn't redeem herself if she doesn't fall from grace.
    Just having a past act like that wouldn't be enough.