Poll: Would you artificially extend your life?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Would you artificially extend your life?

If there was a way to artificially extend your life would you do it?

No my life sucks a fat one, I'm hoping it ends soon.

Like I used to get told when I die world will be better place

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, I see no reason not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

oh I fully intend to live for a few hundred years when cybernetic bodies become a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Of course, I see no reason not to.
    Agreed.

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Now is this like my 20s body lasting into my 40s or 50s, or is this me becoming super decrepit because my ageing process is not changed?

Depends what point in my life and the state of my mind/body.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can function then yeah.

If I am like 100 years old and literally unable to move and they are able to make me live another 30 years in the same state, then no probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really depends. Are we talking some special voodoo magic that stops you from aging as well? Or simply just extending the life of your old decrepit as fuck body? If its the later, then no.

If they somehow make me look and function like 22yo version me or if I'm offered to replace my body with a new one modeled to my liking, then no problem, but not forever or too long, anything else is boring and I'd rather perish.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-01-03 at 09:47 AM.

My life as the mind/body I am right now, or my life as a crippled, brain-damaged degenerate living out his last few moments?

Because there's a pretty big difference in my answer depending on that.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

as much as my life sucks, and i really despise the world, i'd rather live through it than face whatever happens after death. so yeah, i'd extend it until i couldn't anymore, or the world itself blows up.

it really depends on your state of mind and body, would you want to live forever at 80? or at 20... everyone would pick 20 but maybe thats not possible. how about 50? sure i might be interested in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan to live forever.

In 15 years we'll see hints of the tech, so people won't say it's bogus anymore.
    Within 30 years it'll be available to the public.
    Within 50 years we'll be able to modify our genes, which at that point I'm going to get the blonde gene cause I want natural blonde hair dammit.

Course my timing could change if Elon Musk threw money at the problem, in which case the technology would advance faster. Now if Donald Trump became president and started a war, the technology would take another 10 years to arrive. Elon Musk was asked why he didn't venture into aging and genetics and he had this to say.

“You know, I call it the Hitler Problem. Hitler was all about creating the Übermensch and genetic purity, and it’s like— how do you avoid the Hitler Problem? I don’t know.”

And due to the "Hitler Problem" he will not venture into genetics. He also had this to say.

“I mean I do think there’s … in order to fundamentally solve a lot of these issues, we are going to have to reprogram our DNA. That’s the only way to do it.”

So yea, to live longer we would need to mess with our genes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Course my timing could change if Elon Musk threw money at the problem, in which case the technology would advance faster.
    Larry Page and Sergey Brin are also throwing money at it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I plan to live forever.

Within 50 years we'll be able to modify our genes.
    um.. we can do this now.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...h-of-the-year/

here is some more stuff you may not know we learned to do in 2015.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/150277612

some of the top predictions for the next decade

http://futurism.com/wp-content/uploa...-1200x4671.jpg
    Last edited by McTurbo; 2016-01-03 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    as much as my life sucks, and i really despise the world, i'd rather live through it than face whatever happens after death. so yeah, i'd extend it until i couldn't anymore, or the world itself blows up.
    Curious, why are you so scared about what happens after we die? As with religion, I'm on the fence in terms of believing that there's more after we die. I tend to talk to my friends for hours about this kind of stuff since it really interests me and nobody has a factual believable answer. Science doesn't say yes or no, so it's all up to belief.

Still though, what makes you so scared of what -might- happen after we die? Could be nothing, or something really fantastic (see supernatural, had the casts ideas of what the afterlife is like in the show) or it could be bad. What makes you scared?

Sorry if this is to personal or something, but this is usually what I end up talking about if religion comes up. I'm agnostic when it comes down to beliefs and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    um.. we can do this now.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...h-of-the-year/

here is some more stuff you may not know we learned to do in 2015.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/150277612

some of the top predictions for the next decade

http://futurism.com/wp-content/uploa...-1200x4671.jpg
    Thanks for posting. That was an interesting read actually. Pretty excited to see some of those predictions, if any will actually be reachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Curious, why are you so scared about what happens after we die? As with religion, I'm on the fence in terms of believing that there's more after we die. I tend to talk to my friends for hours about this kind of stuff since it really interests me and nobody has a factual believable answer. Science doesn't say yes or no, so it's all up to belief.

Still though, what makes you so scared of what -might- happen after we die? Could be nothing, or something really fantastic (see supernatural, had the casts ideas of what the afterlife is like in the show) or it could be bad. What makes you scared?

Sorry if this is to personal or something, but this is usually what I end up talking about if religion comes up. I'm agnostic when it comes down to beliefs and stuff.
    you are entitled to your beliefs as much as the next person.. in the end.. regardless of science or religion.. the answer is a personal one per individual, one that you will find wont have a general consensus but a wide range of personal beliefs be it science, religion or just the way they feel at the moment.. at the end of the day.. the only honest answer is .. we just don't know.

If I lived forever I would wonder around the country, pick up litter and put it in the trash. I wouldn't cut my hear or beard and I would depend on what I could scavenge or handouts to eat or to make shelter. I'd shoot people when they pissed me off, long prison sentences would mean nothing to me.

They'd bring me before a judge and the judge would say 'hubcap, you've shot 32 people in the past and today makes the 33rd.' and I'd reply, 'that's true and they all deserved it, judge'

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I'm quite satisfied with my life, but I also feel like it have no purpose and is just being wasted. And I feel that if you live long enough, eventually something good might happen, so I might do it.