Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Has Back-Sheathed Weapons been Confirmed?

Something I'm sure everyone is after, even if its just a simple interface option.

Ideally I'd like the choice to have either on the back, or both. No doubt there are those who don't care for it, but you'd think with a small tweak they'd give us this?
    This is my signature. It states my prediction of the next expansion. Not only is it correct in my eyes, but should also be in yours too.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, a bad, and a pleb.

- A Quote from every narcissistic, defiant, self-absorbed theorist on these forums. True story.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    What exactly are you asking?

7+ Year Old Account
    Certain weapons already back sheath...

10+ Year Old Account
    Roll a monk? I actually like that it's restricted to some weapons and one class. Makes said class/weapons have a stronger theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the OP is asking if it's a transmog option for ALL classes.

Which, honest to god, it should be. One-handed swords and axes have gotten so ridiculously huge that they look stupid hanging off of character's hips.

I'll probably switch to an unholy DK from frost after having played frost for three expansions now because I just hate the way hip-sheathed swords look.

That and masterfrost is boring as hell.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrnlaffair View Post
    Certain weapons already back sheath...
    Okay, thanks for sharing that amazing information with us

Ontopic: Monks can already sheathe every single weapon in the game onto their back so the technology to do it is definitely here. I don't think Blizz has really spoken about giving us the option to sheathe on side or back yet so I doubt we will get the option to choose where our weapons sheathe in Legion

Id like to see daggers option to sheath to behind the back on hip.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

It depends on the weapon. Some of the 1h looms sheath on the back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It depends on the weapon. Some of the 1h looms sheath on the back.
    It should be made available as an option for all 1h weapons. It's a massive transmog limitation, seeing as the large majority of 1h weapons do not sheath on the back.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm not sure how the OP's desire is confusing in the least bit.

He wants to be able to sheath weapons on his character's back.

I think the option to toggle it on and off would be cool. We have minor cosmetic options like that in the menus already, and we know any race can, due to Monks, so. I mean, there's some effort involved, they DO have to recode the interface menu and feed that option through to all the coding and stuff, since it's likely hard coded into the monk only.

But they are reversing how staves and spears sheath on monks easily enough, I'm sure someone over there could take the time to change this and provide an option but uh, if you want this, wouldn't it be more useful to post this in the BLIZ forums or send a tweet to someone like Zharym who could forward your feedback to the devs more effectively? They DO read MMO-Champion sometimes but your odds of being seen here are EXTREMELY LOW.

I know the customary BLIZ social stance now is to largely ignore us entirely but it still has to be more effective to tell them than it is to post it here.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2016-01-04 at 04:40 AM.

Sheathing weapons on the back is a silly convention in fantasy art, people didn't sheathe melee weapons on their back in history (or it was very rare if it happened at all). It's impractical.

Then again they didn't make ten tonne swords the size of a small locomotive in history either.

I think if they did, they would've sheathed them on a pack mule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sheathing weapons on the back is a silly convention in fantasy art, people didn't sheathe melee weapons on their back in history (or it was very rare if it happened at all). It's impractical.
    Not entirely true. Mongol horse archers, Japanese samurai and some Celtic tribes wore scabbards on their back or over their shoulder. The samurai in particular wore their long swords (odachi/nodachi) on their back.

Then again they didn't make ten tonne swords the size of a small locomotive in history either.

Hehehe imagine all the armies in the medieval ages going to war with a mule by their side, taking breaks every 20 min because the swords is to heavy to swing all the time

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I'd love if my Tanks could have their sword/shield on their backs like this.

10+ Year Old Account

People can't go around citing some sort of "historical precedent" for Warcraft. This is fantasy.

Not too long ago I got into an argument that there should be more scythes for DKs, but I was met with "well you know scythes weren't used as weapons in medieval times, so it just wouldn't make sense!"

I don't care what was or was not used as a weapon in medieval times, we're not playing age of empires here. We're talking about fantasy. And as you noted, back-sheathed weapons are a common trope. Why? Because they look cool (and that goes for scythes, too.) Or at least, a lot cooler than giant boat anchor six-foot long 1h swords hanging off of our character's hips do.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    Ontopic: Monks can already sheathe every single weapon in the game onto their back so the technology to do it is definitely here.
    The tech has never not been there. It's just a question of changing the sheathing animation, and location of the sheath for every race and weapon type, which is a decent amount of work. I'd hope they do it tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. Sheathing on one's back takes more training to sheath, but is much more practical as it provides much better mobility when the weapon is sheathed. Imagine wearing a long backpack on ur waist vs ur back and trying to run, climb, jump, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    The tech has never not been there. It's just a question of changing the sheathing animation, and location of the sheath for every race and weapon type, which is a decent amount of work. I'd hope they do it tho.
    That wouldn't be that much work. The sheathing animations already exist, and it's obvious that they can make weapon models sheath on back at their discretion quite easily, seeing as... well, monks do it for every weapon regardless of whether it normally sheaths their or not.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That wouldn't be that much work. The sheathing animations already exist, and it's obvious that they can make weapon models sheath on back at their discretion quite easily, seeing as... well, monks do it for every weapon regardless of whether it normally sheaths their or not.
    The animations would have to be changed for every weapon/race combination to prevent clipping and other animation bugs. That's a lot of different permutations to adjust and animation tinkering is time consuming. Not impossible or impractical, but it is time consuming. Understand the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    The animations would have to be changed for every weapon/class to prevent clipping and other animation bugs. That's a lot of different permutations to adjust and animation tinkering is time consuming. Not impossible or impractical, but it is time consuming. Understand the difference.
    Blizzard has never cared about animations causing clipping. It wouldn't be a problem now.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Blizzard has never cared about animations causing clipping. It wouldn't be a problem now.
    They actually do, despite it being an inevitability in some cases without tinkering the animations for virtually every single item. IE It's one thing if a certain weapon or weapons clip, it's another thing if EVERY weapon of a given type clips on a given race.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2016-01-04 at 06:19 AM.