Has there been an ability prune?

Quick question, has there been in ability prune? I remember at release that my level 55 Assassin had 3/4 bars full of abilities, and when I attempted to play again about a year ago, my first bar was full of abilities by level 10. I know it adds depth for some people, but I like a clean UI with as little on it as possible
    RETH

Nope. Hopefully there won't be either. Nearly every ability has a use. If you're someone who just focuses on 1 or 2 aspects of the game you can feel free to unbind some of those abilities, but people in other parts of the game do use those abilities.

That being said... I wouldn't complain if they went through and decided to reduce the number of slows/roots/cc/knockbacks available to each class.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2016-01-05 at 03:40 PM.

Ok, thanks for your response. I do remember that there were several assassin abilities that weren't that useful for a tank, but if I have access to them I'm loathe not too have them bound somewhere.

Perhaps if I come back I'll take the plunge and sub for a month so I can get hold of all the action bars.
    RETH

You still have access to all of your abilities, though you really only need half..or possibly less depending on your class, bound to be effective.

Also remember that you get access to quite a few abilities that are redundant and meaningless to your advanced spec since your AC abilities sometimes effectively replace the base class ability even when the base class ability is still available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Ok, thanks for your response. I do remember that there were several assassin abilities that weren't that useful for a tank, but if I have access to them I'm loathe not too have them bound somewhere.

Perhaps if I come back I'll take the plunge and sub for a month so I can get hold of all the action bars.
    Not every ability is always useful to every spec in every situation. That isn't new or limited to SWTOR. You can definitely get by just fine without keybinding everything. You may not play at your highest potential, but honestly you don't really need to. There might be some situations where one of those unbound abilities would help you greatly, but you can probably make due without it.

Great example for assassin tank... Crushing Darkness. You don't need it bound. You CAN use it to range pull if you want, but there really isn't any reason to ever do so. You can range pull with shock and it builds stacks that you need anyways. You'll mostly likely never encounter a situation where you're going to say, "man... if I had used crushing darkness there we would've won" as an darkness assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post

For some classes you have several that are so lack luster you don't use them. For others you have these silly rotations that include a dozen abilities, these are the ones that could use a little attention. I am not against more complicated rotations but unfortunately when you have so many good options people become clickers since they can only easily bind so much.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Hell no. There are still a million abilities.

I'm being hyperbolic, but it's a lot of abilities.

well, they did remove orbital strike from operatives ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    well, they did remove orbital strike from operatives ^^
    Did they get any "ultimate" to replace that with?

If I read the OP correctly, he/she last played 2 expansions ago (level 55) so yes, at 3.0 there was a noticeable prune both in removing/merging abilities and also making others spec-specific.