Thread: Gun newbie

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gun newbie

Greetings fellow Champions!

I'd like to learn more about guns, how to use them and maybe purchase one down the line.

Do local gun shops normally offer these kind of courses? Online material for reference would be appreciated too.

The Tactical 1 class is designed to give you the fundamentals of tactical pistol shooting. We start off with the basics such as safety, fundamentals, cartiage/pistol malfunctions, speed reload, tactile reload, reload with retention, proper way of drawing from the holster, moving and shooting, shooting multiple targets, shooting from cover, shooting from different positions and more. *Beginners welcome

http://miamifirearmstraining.com/tactical-pistol-1/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Greetings fellow Champions!

I'd like to learn more about guns, how to use them and maybe purchase one down the line.

Do local gun shops normally offer these kind of courses? Online material for reference would be appreciated too.

yes most local gun shops offer training/safety courses for firearms.

Check out some youtube channels that are firearms related.

Some of my favorites are

hickok45 - hes an encyclopedia of firearms, very informative, very likable person, probably one of the most popular firearms youtubers out right now. a lot of people dont like his channel because he isnt some "ultra tactical special forces operator who has seen more war than the syrian refugees" but he is great at explaining the information about the guns themselves. in his channel the guns are the star of the show, not him.

sooth00 - very informative, more of a "prepper" type person than anything but he does good gun reviews.

tnoutdoors9 - anything ballistic related this guy has you covered. he also does gun reviews but mostly does ballistics gel testing.

iraqveteran8888 - a mix of entertainment and information, his show is pretty fun to watch for a pure entertainment standpoint but also very very informative. they have different segments of shows on the channel such as " top 5 guns for new gun owners " or "top 5 guns for X reason" and so on.

theyankeemarshal - a sarcastic asshole who mostly does entertainment videos but has some good informative videos mixed in.

nutnfancy - the only guy alive that can talk for 2 hours about his tactical fanny pack...that is if you make it the 2 hours without falling asleep. if you like long boring and drawn out videos that are packed with information that ends up repeating itself a hundred times...well here ya go.

theres more but those are some of my favorites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to your nearest shooting range, rent any gun you want and shoot it. Then decide.

When I was younger, I had a hard on for Desert Eagles. Then I rented one at the range and realized it was one of the most shitty guns I've ever shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    dont do this and you'll be fine

Yes most gun shops will at least know of gun safety classes that are offered nearby

I own a CZ-95B for home protection and target shooting

I own a 9mm tarsus slim that I use as a concealed carry

a Remington 700 with scope that I use for target shooting

Lastly I own a 10 gauge mossberg pump for home protection and dove hunting.

Ranges offer all sorts of classes. Reach out to them. The CCW classes are usually pretty good starting points. Plus they set you up to get your CCW if you ever wanted to get one. Florida CCW is reciprocal to like 23 other states as well.

As for YouTube, check out Hickok45. He is retired police and a wealth of information. Most videos are gun reviews but he drops huge amounts of knowledge in these video. He is amusing as hell too.

Guns are bad only morons own guns invest in a ballistic shield.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Go to your nearest shooting range, rent any gun you want and shoot yourself.
    Fixed that for you

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2016-01-05 at 03:55 PM.

Take a course on how to properly handle, shoot, store and clean a pistol. Either google it or head to a local gun shop and ask and I'm sure you will find one in your area. After passing that course you can decide if you want to purchase one. I would also recommend learning the process in your state for obtaining a concealed carry permit. Most states require some type of training class that teaches you the laws in your state and includes a range qualification.

The best thing I can recommend is to learn all you can about how to be safe and responsible with a gun before purchasing one. Please do not buy one until you have the training and confidence to use one safely. I'm all for people exercising their second amendment rights, as long as they are smart about it.

The first step imo is to take a local CCW course and get your permit. From there, you can research what you would like for a range gun, carry gun, home defense, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    As for YouTube, check out Hickok45. He is retired police and a wealth of information. Most videos are gun reviews but he drops huge amounts of knowledge in these video. He is amusing as hell too.
    He made me laugh really hard in his review of the .500 S&W Magnum. For those who don’t know, it’s a HUGE revolver. Anywho, after moaning and groaning about shooting the thing and how it was going to hurt his hand, he takes aim at a 2L bottle of water and says “My guess is that it’ll pierce it”

Super dry humor, but it made me laugh out loud pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    Take a course on how to properly handle, shoot, store and clean a pistol. Either google it or head to a local gun shop and ask and I'm sure you will find one in your area. After passing that course you can decide if you want to purchase one. I would also recommend learning the process in your state for obtaining a concealed carry permit. Most states require some type of training class that teaches you the laws in your state and includes a range qualification.

The best thing I can recommend is to learn all you can about how to be safe and responsible with a gun before purchasing one. Please do not buy one until you have the training and confidence to use one safely. I'm all for people exercising their second amendment rights, as long as they are smart about it.
    QFT. This is pretty much spot on advice.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Then how so you feel about the guys in Oregon that is the real 2nd amendment.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Is this even English?
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

A guy asks about guns and you anti gun nuts need to ruin the thread by beeing idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Go to your nearest shooting range, rent any gun you want and shoot it. Then decide.

When I was younger, I had a hard on for Desert Eagles. Then I rented one at the range and realized it was one of the most shitty guns I've ever shot.
    But that golden deagle from cod4!!!!

typical American post.

Infracted
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2016-01-05 at 05:15 PM.

2 posts in the same thread trying to derail the op... come on now, there is an entire thread devoted to you having your say about your agenda.

OP, I would say the youtube is ok for starting but to really do it right I would suggest a gun safety course, a hunters safety course (similar) and if you can afford it a training class from any number of great schools that are around the country.From beginner to advanced there is really nothing like going "hands on" and being supervised while taught the fundamentals.

Be careful with some of the youtubers and gunshops as well. Many people are just phonies that think they know weapons so you'll get all kinds of, do a barrel roll and shoot BS. Research people before going to their training. It's the best way to protect yourself from learning bad habits that could get yourself or someone else injured.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

There is nothing in the second amendment advocating the occupation of land you do not own. Thanks for stopping by. Please put your anti-gun comments in a thread meant for anti-gun comments.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

There is nothing in the second amendment advocating the occupation of land you do not own. Thanks for stopping by. Please put your anti-gun comments in a thread meant for anti-gun comments.
    Government tyrany is not a free state good on Bundy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage