With context, is the crime in question here that bad?

No spoilers to what this is exactly, but maybe people will catch on to what series I'm referring to. Anyway, in this show our main character is a 40 year old loser who gets bullied by his neighbor, wife, and constantly berated by his successful jerkass brother for being such a fuckup. Now, the neighbor is actually a real psycho that beats this guy up and his wife is a total bitch that psychologically abuses him, but his brother is more or less just ashamed and distant. The first guy ends up dead because "reasons" and the loser decides he's had enough of his wife and kills her in a fit of rage. Later on when his ass is on thin ice, he decides to cover himself in an elaborate scheme that involves spiting his brother. He puts a gun in his brother's son's backpack to lead the cops to his home, plants the murder weapon in his room, and false evidence of adultery and an additional murder. After some episode later, he pretty much ruins his family's life and his brother gets sent to jail forever.

Now, normally that sounds like the most heinous crime ever but his brother is a plain asshole. He is cold and demands that the main character acts like a better role-model, and even states he wished he was dead when he accidentally broke his newly bought gun! I thought he had it coming and so did our protagonist evidently, since he feels zero remorse for the crime and in fact thinks it finally makes him a real man. According to most people I talk to, however, this is apparently so bad (even with his bro's personality in mind) that it's seen as the second worst thing he does in the show and enough to make no one pity him when he meets his eventual fate.

I really try to sympathize with this protagonist for reasons but no one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sounds like a group of individuals that are complete trash from top to bottom. Not a single person to cheer for on the show.
    I mean, even the poor loser? He's been bullied his whole life and now he is getting his revenge. Just look at the beginning and you'll see how he's a nervous doormat that can't talk back to anyone.

Edit: I mean, even in reality, don't we always cheer on when a victim finally stands up to his tormentors/demons?
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2016-01-08 at 04:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you think that is remotely okey, there's something very wrong with your moral compass.

Best guess is you relate to the protagonist because you have complexes with your own family or being treated in a way you think is unfair, so your bias makes you rationalize these actions.

Surely committing a massive crime to get someone falsely arrested, even if that person was doing something else illegal, isn't the right way to go about things. You should get them arrested for the right thing. Which, in this case, sounds like harassment and assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.