Blanket Silences

Does anyone else feel that Blanket Silences are too powerful? I've recently levelled my Mage to 100 and have been doing PvP and I have nothing to combat them besides blowing my trinket. It instantly and entirely shuts casters down and basically makes them lie down and die, 5 seconds of pure silence may as well be an insta-kill button. Damage is so high right now that if I'm opened up on by a Rogue with Garrote > Cheap Shot or a DK Strangulates me, or a Spriest Silences me, I'm either dead or have ~20% hp left and may as well be dead by the time I can do anything.

Is there a better/different way of countering them? Or am I just stuck with blowing my trinket in an attempt to get away?

It's quite easy as a co-ordinated team to apply pressure to other members to nullify the silence. Putting the damage heavily on the Healer for example will cause the Rogue to peel off you, and help them out. It's a team game ...

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    Does anyone else feel that Blanket Silences are too powerful? I've recently levelled my Mage to 100 and have been doing PvP and I have nothing to combat them besides blowing my trinket. It instantly and entirely shuts casters down and basically makes them lie down and die, 5 seconds of pure silence may as well be an insta-kill button. Damage is so high right now that if I'm opened up on by a Rogue with Garrote > Cheap Shot or a DK Strangulates me, or a Spriest Silences me, I'm either dead or have ~20% hp left and may as well be dead by the time I can do anything.

Is there a better/different way of countering them? Or am I just stuck with blowing my trinket in an attempt to get away?
    You do not feel all-powerful as a mage? Because i certainly do. You are one of the few or maybe only caster who is effective against melee and you got many def cds to blow.

Then there is your positioning to be considered, too.

I see no problems in duel situation that you have descriped......(only rogue example no partners)

Strong in Arenas, too cause of so many working and powerful setups.

i prefere my shadow priest in bgs/rbgs though.

u can come out of blanket silences at 20% hp and still win. pvp has a ridiculous learning curve and until u learn it it will seem like mission impossible 6, which is bad design, but unfortunately there is no other in wow

They're ridiculous good right now. Especially because the only 3 classes that have them (DK Rogue Priest) also happen to have other ridiculous instant-cast CCs (then again I guess WHO DOESN'T these days?).

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    What exactly does "Blanket Silences" mean? Afaik there is only one which is "Silence" from Shadow Priests, not the strongest PvP spec at the moment.

I hope Legion brings more CC Pruning and with it diversifies the CC people have. So for example SP has Silence, that's cool. But then they should not have Instant Fear and plus a CC Talent on top of that. Instead, Warlocks should get a powerful Fear spell but have their Silence or Stun Talent removed and so forth.

At the moment it is lame in the context that MOBAs have more variety in their Classes/Heroes/Champions even though many MOBAS have over hundred of them.
    shadows are one of the strongest pvp specs in rbgs and mages are just avg there. They are for arenas and duels/wpvp.

It would help if people would write which pvp they are talking about, cause reading the OP it only sounds like duels or fake duels in random bgs. In both, the mage is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    What exactly does "Blanket Silences" mean? Afaik there is only one which is "Silence" from Shadow Priests, not the strongest PvP spec at the moment
    They are far and away the best caster at the moment, all things considered. DKs and rogues also have silences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    They are far and away the best caster at the moment, all things considered. DKs and rogues also have silences.
    that would be warlocks and mages, as always

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    that would be warlocks and mages, as always
    Do you know what the words "all things considered" mean?
    Mages are fucking TRASH in everything but 3v3
    They literally lose to every single class in 1v1s and are inferior in every way to shadow priests in bgs
    Moonkins are the only caster that might hold a candle to SPs right now, they are after all the best 1v1 class right now and one of the better bg classes
    Last edited by solarfallz; 2016-01-11 at 01:05 AM.

They literally lose to every single class in 1v1s and are inferior in every way to shadow priests in bgs
    Moonkins are the only caster that might hold a candle to SPs right now, they are after all the best 1v1 class right now and one of the better bg classes
    GOOD mages, one of the best PvP classes in history of WoW PvP, tell me one season when Mages were not good/decent. My main is Ret, i eat Boomies for breakfast, without even poping my bubble, good mage is a totally different story, if i make even slight mistake, i lose, asp GOOD fire mages. Mages are still very good in 3s,5s (2s is just unbalanced, hence u can't compare 2s balance with over all pvp balance, since game balanced around 3v3 and RBGs mainly).

10+ Year Old Account
    everyone's gotta have an achilles' heel.

plan your movements better. if you know how a fight generally goes with a player of a class you need to plan how you move around that.

i used to play a warrior. they are so heavily susceptible to CC, it's fucking ridiculous. and on top of everyone knowing your class sucks, it's a really aggressive class that gets a lot of attention so everyone always wants to kill you. i mean, playing a warrior is a lot like being a hunter with no deterrence... everybody wants you to die.

you can't play PvP the way you PvE. Shit will get you killed. if you are in a bad spot, do anything you can to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    i used to play a warrior. they are so heavily susceptible to CC, it's fucking ridiculous.
    How do you figure this? They actually have more ways of avoiding CC than a lot of classes, between reflect, bladestorm (or avatar), and zerker rage. The only thing they were traditionally susceptible to (a long time ago in an expansion far far away) was roots and snares, but now roots break on a slight wind (or if you look at them funny), while double time, banner intervene, and heroic leap, as well as avatar/bladestorm, pretty much entirely take care of any mobility issues. They also never have to worry about getting interrupted or silenced.

Deleted
    warlocks are better than shadowpriests at everything

10+ Year Old Account
    what i mean to say is, once you've been hit with it that's it, it's game over

you'll get out of a fear, but you'll be hit with a stun and you can trinket that, but then you will be slowed. you can heroic leap away, but it is not far enough away to leave an enemy's range who will just continually pound on you from a distance and you will eventually die

But let's say you do get away - for what purpose did you escape? so you can go sit in a corner with your bandaids and mage cake? it makes more sense to just die most of the time. you can't just take all of that shit to the face like a Death Knight can.

Pillar of Frost makes you immune to knockbacks, intelligent use of AMS will ensure you are never feared in the first place and then you have lichborne just in case anybody wanna fuck around and then on top of all of that bullshit that you basically have two trinkets lol. Yes, it is just as retarded to try to peel out as a DK with no backup, but at least you can lay down the hurt on some trifling motherfuckers before getting put down.

You can't reflect a root as a Warrior, the most annoying ones are AoE roots that are often not even aimed at you specifically and last a hellish eternity of 8 seconds. you can't just retard mode through a ton of CC, you have no tool to break roots but Bladestorm. As slow as Warriors move though, it doesn't really do anything. It's as fucked up as using the strangulate glyph and knowing a healer is trinketing or done

But I am CCed for fucking days on weeks on years on millenniums whenever I play my Warrior. Doesn't happen when I play the Ret or DK. It's extremely frustrating.

Garrote is balanced by its energy cost & range limitation. I can't speak for Spriest & DK, both those classes seem like they can use the extra CC though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    warlocks are better than shadowpriests at everything
    Shadowpriests bring offensive dispel/MD and a much burstier execute to the table.

Deleted
    amazing, reading a mage complain about stuff. Last time I ran into a mage team that soab constantly cc'ed me while ahving a mobility beyong reasoning. That holinka guy surely needs a brain transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post

But I am CCed for fucking days on weeks on years on millenniums whenever I play my Warrior. Doesn't happen when I play the Ret or DK. It's extremely frustrating.
    Yep, i felt the same way, when i plaid my war alt, in arena/RBGs wars are mad fun, since you never die, u charge/ wreck faces, and those executes...just sexy. However, in duels or regular bgs wars are pretty bad vs anything that can kite you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    amazing, reading a mage complain about stuff. Last time I ran into a mage team that soab constantly cc'ed me while ahving a mobility beyong reasoning. That holinka guy surely needs a brain transplant.
    I know your pain my friend, when ever i face a good god comp or frozen chicken, those teams can cc some1 for 1 min none stop, its insane how much cc can a mage/drood can put out.