Play something country

So what are your favorite country music? I like mostly older stuff. Stuff made from the 90s up to about 2 years ago. I like most all odds that. I'll listen to the new stuff but it doesn't compare to the older stuff. A little Kenny Chesney or Brooks and Dunn go a long way
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The only country music I can really listen to and enjoy is Alison Krauss. I LOVE her bluegrass music with Union Station, but her voice is that of an angel and I will listen to anything she performs. There are some other bluegrass artists that also do country songs that I can listen to, but it's hit and miss with most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate country music, but O Brother where art thou had some stuff that I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So what are your favorite country music? I like mostly older stuff. Stuff made from the 90s up to about 2 years ago. I like most all odds that. I'll listen to the new stuff but it doesn't compare to the older stuff. A little Kenny Chesney or Brooks and Dunn go a long way
    Brooks and Dunn are a 90's band. There were some good 90's country artists, Alan Jackson springs immediately to mind. But for me, the best country is either the older stuff(like, the stuff way older than the 90's, ie Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson), or the underground stuff that doesn't get airplay on the modern country stations, guys like Steve Earle, Slaid Cleaves, Robert Earl Keene, Chris Knight, Charlie Robison, Mark David Manders...

Jason Aldeen was here last night and a friend snapchatted a shit load of stuff, never heard any of the shit she was singing or the dude was singing. /shrug Never even heard of this kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Jason Aldeen was here last night and a friend snapchatted a shit load of stuff, never heard any of the shit she was singing or the dude was singing. /shrug Never even heard of this kid.
    He's one of a number of basically interchangeable male country singers currently performing. I dunno what it is, but so many modern country guys, I can hear them sing, and I can't really tell the difference between several of them, they do songs that all sound similar, they all sing in pretty much the exact same tone, in the exact same range...I don't get it. Back in the day, nobody would confuse Johnny Cash with Waylon Jennings or Waylon with Willie and so on. Then in the 90's, you wouldn't mix up Alan Jackson and Garth Brooks, or Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw...for some reason, mainstream country has just gotten really samey, and Jason Aldean is just one of many.

I had the Tim McGraw album with "Don't Take the Girl" and "Refriend Dreams" on it. That's when country was country and my dad listened to it in the car. Haven't owned a country album since then, and that was like, the early/mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I had the Tim McGraw album with "Don't Take the Girl" and "Refriend Dreams" on it. That's when country was country and my dad listened to it in the car. Haven't owned a country album since then, and that was like, the early/mid-90s.
    The 90's was the last era where you could hear what I consider real country on the radio. Sure, it didn't sound like a lot of other older guys, but it was still definitely country. Most radio country these days sound like pop songs sung by someone with a twang. There is still plenty of real country out there, you just don't hear it on the radio anymore:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Same. Neal McCoy is still...tolerable, but the only country artist who isn't a walking stereotype that I still love is Bryan White (sorry I couldn't find a normal video, this album is fantastic, my favorite being Everywhere I Turn) The Right Place is another great album, but it seems his stuff is hard to find on Youtube. Also, holy crap, he has recent albums?

Huh, it's rather...Jason Mraz-y. Which means it's good.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2016-01-16 at 12:49 PM.