Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Walmart is closing 269 stores and laying off thousands of employees.

Walmart is closing 269 stores and laying off thousands of employees.

The move will affect more than 16,000 employees, including 10,000 in the US.

The closings include 154 locations in the US — 102 of which are the company's smallest stores, called Walmart Express, which have been in pilot since 2011.

Walmart is closing the stores to shift resources to Walmart's Supercenters and smaller-format Neighborhood Market stores.
    Yet:

The retailer said it still planned to open more than 100 US stores in the next year, including 50 to 60 Supercenters, 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets, and seven to 10 Sam's Club locations. Internationally, Walmart plans to open 200 to 240 stores within the next year.

Source:http://uk.businessinsider.com/walmar...16-1?r=US&IR=T

Shifting focus and presence it seems?
    Last edited by mmoce9a47a3159; 2016-01-15 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they just used up some towns and feel it's time to leave the rotting husk to the scavengers and move onto fresher meat.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Smaller stores not making the profit they hoped and they are closing them down to contain the losses and opening stores in places they think they will make a profit?

Not sure how this is a bad thing for a company (that is there to make money) to do?

Wal-Mart closes a store for two months and then reopens it with all new employees, whenever the employees get uppity (employment benefits, unionizing, etc).

In six months, someone will post an article which reads "Walmart opens 270 new stores (in the exact same location as old ones)"
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Wal-Mart closes a store for two months and then reopens it with all new employees, whenever the employees get uppity (employment benefits, unionizing, etc).

In six months, someone will post an article which reads "Walmart opens 270 new stores (in the exact same location as old ones)"
    I've only heard about this happening once, but then, I don't pay much attention to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, when you post a thread to such news, post a source link ALSO. Otherwise I call bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not happy that many people are losing their jobs but less Wal-Marts is a good thing in my book. Fuck Wal-Mart I wish they'd all go away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Not happy that many people are losing their jobs but less Wal-Marts is a good thing in my book. Fuck Wal-Mart I wish they'd all go away
    Yeah, lets put 2.2 MILLION people on the streets.
    That sounds like a great idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't like walmart but I'm really sad hearing about how all these people will loose jobs.

If Wal-Mart collapsed, so would the U.S. economy and one of their competitors would just take their place.

Wal-Mart is a pretty good company too. They could lay off a lot of people and have computers do a lot of the work instead but they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Yeah, lets put 2.2 MILLION people on the streets.
    That sounds like a great idea.
    Like I said I don't like the idea of people losing their jobs but Wal-Mart as an entity I despise. I suppose I should reword my first statement; I wish Wal-Mart was never made

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Wal-Mart is a pretty good company too.
    Good company in that they provide employment to many people and are extremely successful, sure. They're shit as far as running every single small business out of town.

This should make the Anti Walmart people happy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    OP, when you post a thread to such news, post a source link ALSO. Otherwise I call bullshit.
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/30975909/w...them-in-the-us

I was reading about before I saw this post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    If you highlight what they've quoted and do a Google search, it shows they took it from this article...

http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...-stores-2016-1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This should make the Anti Walmart people happy
    Actually, this is one reason why people are anti-wallmart. They replace all the local stores, and then shutdown killing the local economy. This is not a good thing.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Good company in that they provide employment to many people and are extremely successful, sure. They're shit as far as running every single small business out of town.
    That is called the free market my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Actually, this is one reason why people are anti-wallmart. They replace all the local stores, and then shutdown killing the local economy. This is not a good thing.
    They don't replace all the Local stores. Have you ever seen that anti walmart documentary? Some Hardware store was complaining Walmart put them out of business. I am like BS there is a lot of things a Hardwood store sells that walmart doesn't like building supplies. And speaking of mom and pop shops a lot of them don't change with the times they have old ugly products no one wants

Deleted
    Like I said I don't like the idea of people losing their jobs but Wal-Mart as an entity I despise. I suppose I should reword my first statement; I wish Wal-Mart was never made

- - - Updated - - -

So instead you would have another business with the exact same practice but under another name.
    Lets call it BallMart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's still the author's responsibility to give credit where it's due. Otherwise it's nothing but plagiarism.
    Not sure it's plagiarism, as they made it clear they were quoting someone else. A bit rude maybe, but I've seen people wholesale quoting and not give any indication they copy pasted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    They don't replace all the Local stores. Have you ever seen that anti walmart documentary? Some Hardware store was complaining Walmart put them out of business. I am like BS there is a lot of things a Hardwood store sells that walmart doesn't like building supplies. And speaking of mom and pop shops a lot of them don't change with the times they have old ugly products no one wants
    They're replaced with a Home Depot or Lowes then. Mega chain retail stores are a bane on the "American dream"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/wal-m...ols-fleet.html

Here is a link I found

It sounds like a lot of the closures in the us are of the express smaller stores. Pushing more of the super enters which sell groceries. Actually opening new super enters.

"The world's largest retailer also said it will open 50 to 60 Supercenters and 85 to 95 of its smaller Neighborhood Market locations in the U.S. during the fiscal year that starts Feb. 1."
    Last edited by Xandrigity; 2016-01-15 at 04:49 PM.